FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blade Cleaning

Try the laundry or cleaning sections of the stores, not baking. Washing soda is sodium carbonate whereas baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Sodium carbonate basically is a stonger salt of carbonic acid - cleans better.

Ian

I was once cornfused but have regained my senuous self...

Arm & Hammer WASHING Soda is the ticket. I used to use Oven cleaner (what a mess and sting your eyes and smell and cost and caustic and the list goes on, besides I think it might be hard on the bonding agent for the teeth) Then I switched to Simple Green as it was reported to be the cat's meow but later there was a report that it also worked on the bonding agent... (also it costs more) I heard great things of the Arm & Hammer and tried Baking soda with little effect but was redirected to WASHING SODA (Chemically different, as discribed in a previous post by someone) I too search aimlessly throughout the stores for Washing Soda untill I was informed to seek laundry products. WHAT-HO! Yellow Box on shelf near other cleaning agents.

I tried it in hot water and it works well. I simply go to the laundry room and run a couple inches of hotwater into "Her Wonderfulness's" laundry tub, shake in an amount of the Washing Soda and allow the blades to soak for a while, whilst I go get some more.... I remove the blade and brush the teeth with a scrub brush and rinse, wipe dry whilst I lay another blade in to soak.... I do several at a time, then put my shop rags, etc. in to soak until "Her Wonderfulness" does the colored laundry. Re-use the product as it does not "Use-up" when soaking the blades.

(I call her "Her Wonderfulness" because she urged me, repeatedly, to go buy my NEW Truck) SWMBO for good reason...

Jim, a Shemale is Female of the SWMBO gender, Respectfully (and fearfully) known as "The Boss"
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 06-21-2007 at 12:50 PM.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Brent in Montreal View Post
    Hi Neil,

I use Lee Valley blade cleaner. Keep it in a Tupperware container and it's good for quite a few goes. I usually clean my blades after every project and sometimes after milling/before doing joinery if I see the blade has an exceptional amount of resin on it.
    My wife use to keep our Christmas cookies in Tupperware containers and hide them in the oven to keep us away from them. Now we have a new oven...

Default Sharpening via RONA

Neil:

Oakville RONA sends blades, etc. out to BC Saw in west Toronto on Evans Ave. You can probably take blades directly to BC Saw, or drop them off at your nearest RONA. They pick up and return in Oakville on Fridays, so minimum one week turn around. I've used them a fair bit, and have been mostly satisfied, except for one set of planer blades, which after returning, still weren't totally flat end to end. I've been pleased with saw blades.

http://www.bcsaw.ca/

...Wayne

Is Arm and Hammer Washing Soda the same as A & H baking soda?

Basil

Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: Blade Cleaning

Couldn't find washing soda but have Simple Green.

From the Simple Green website May 12, 2012:
    http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions...n=Saw%20Blades
    Tools: Saw Blades
    To clean with Original or Lemon Scent Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner:
    1. Wet the Surface . This helps the Simple Green to penetrate soils and makes it easier to wipe clean.
    2. Apply Full Strength Simple Green and Scrub. For best results, spray lightly onto sections and allow the product to soak for a few minutes to emulsify soils.
    3. Wipe or Rinse With Clean Water. Rinsing ensures a residue free finish.
    Not recommended for carbide tipped blades. Simple Green Pro HD is recommended for this type of material. [The purple Simple Green Pro HD Cleaner was available at some Home Depots in gallon amounts for $15.]
    http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions...126&artlang=en
    Simple Green has been successfully used by many woodworkers over many years as a good "spray - wipe - rinse" cleaner for saw blades. When pitch is fairly fresh (typically within a 12-hr period since deposit) it is fairly easily removed with Simple Green. Older, dried-out pitch is much more difficult to remove. We do not recommend long-term soaking of Carbide blades in Simple Green. Long-term exposure like this can possibly cause cobalt leaching that will, in turn, affect the integrity or carbide. Shorter term "spray/wipe/rinse" applications do not create that kind of problem.
    It has been reported to us that long-term soaking of carbide blades covered with older, tougher buildup of pitch in strong, black coffee does a great job of removing pitch without harming the blade.
    Jim
    --------------------------
    Wood, the final frontier

Blog Entries

I'm still looking for the A and H washing soda. Hard to find it seems. Still have to check Loblaws though.
    Kevin

St-Alexandre de Kamouraska, near Rivière du Loup Québec
    Blog Entries

I don't think washing soda is available in Québec, so far I tried the following stores with no luck, Provigo, Wall Mart, IGA, CT, COOP, Super C, ACE Local hardware store, and BMR.
    Can you order rhe stuff thru the internet ???
    Jacques

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Leclerc View Post
    I don't think washing soda is available in Québec, so far I tried the following stores with no luck, Provigo, Wall Mart, IGA, CT, COOP, Super C, ACE Local hardware store, and BMR.
    Can you order rhe stuff thru the internet ???
    Jacques
    You can make it yourself! Someone else just posted a link in the woodworking forum. http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com.....a-new-source

If you bake baking soda, you get washing soda. Seems odd.

It is also available at home hardware http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...27273?Ntt=soda

Default Re: Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

Bought some Washing Soda at Safeway today.

Default Re: Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

Varsol has worked for me after a bout of pine, but when cleaning up the bandsaw blade, when still on the saw, it's clean and rub dry before tire contact. It's a slower cleaning, but maybe even slower to remove the blade and go through all the set up and tuning again after its been set up and tuned.

Am I putting my tires at risk?

Lyndsay

Quote Originally Posted by basilrb View Post
    Is Arm and Hammer Washing Soda the same as A & H baking soda?

Basil
    Obvious answer NO! Washing Soda is for washing. Baking Soda is for baking as well as a number of other things, not including washing!
    Mack C. in Brooklin (Whitby) ON
    It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact,
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-o...95203433854962