FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: 1/2" infill shoulder plane

Default 1/2" infill shoulder plane

So here is my second plane. This one has a brass sole! With the wider infill you only need to machine one side of the brass plate. I added a 'ski jump' to the wedge using curves and boundary surfaces in the CAD program. Unfortuneatly the shaving travel straight up after passing through the mouth. For fun, I'm thinking of developing a rotating wedge on a 1/8th pin above the mouth that will allow you to direct the shaving to the left or right for situations where you are using the plane on its side. Included are photos of the plane going together. The 1/8th diameter brass pins are .540" long so I have a .020" shim with holes for the pins under the plane on the steel block so they projects enough for peening on both sides. It works great. My aim with the ball pien hammer is improving too! The infill is claro walnut and the wedge cocobolo. I picked up a board of East Indian rosewood on the weekend that I plan to use in the next plane. A local blacksmith will cut and temper A2 steel blades for me.
    This plane weighs around 2 pounds and works great on face and end grain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris Gorman in Ottawa

Default Big Seller

I could see that plane selling alot is all sizes. Copy that design from 1/2" thru 1 1/2" I could see it in steel also.

Nice! Looks like you hit the mark this time. Let us know how the fine-tuning and eventual production goes. I agree with Jim, I think this plane could catch on and become quite popular, especially if the price is reasonable.
    Frank
    SPCHT

Default Rosewood infill No.3

So here is the third 1/2" shoulder plane. I've increased the opening and included a bump to direct the shaving towards the wedge which now has a rounded nose to reduce the chance of the shaving jamming. I've also machined walnut blocks to store/ship the plane in. Plan to do a some more tweaking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris Gorman in Ottawa

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. View Post
    Nice! Looks like you hit the mark this time. Let us know how the fine-tuning and eventual production goes. I agree with Jim, I think this plane could catch on and become quite popular, especially if the price is reasonable.

a 3/8" would be nice too!
    Take care,
    Jim

My Passion
    www.pensforcanadianpeacekeepers.ca

SPCHT

Your planes look great Chris, but wow, those boxes really add some flare. Very classy. Makes it look like they are in a whole other class. But rats -it's probably a class I can't afford!

Way to go,
    Kerry