FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LV Clamps - Split some in Edm??

Default LV Clamps - Split some in Edm??

Just wondering if anyone in the Edmonton area might be interested in splitting the cost of a box each of the long and short aluminum bar clamps? I'd like a few of each, but not ten.

Anyway, PM me if your interested.

Cheers,
    Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry in Fort Sask, AB View Post
    Just wondering if anyone in the Edmonton area might be interested in splitting the cost of a box each of the long and short aluminum bar clamps? I'd like a few of each, but not ten.

Anyway, PM me if your interested.

Cheers,
    Kerry
    Hi Kerry; a thought I had, if 10 of the long ones are 2 many and you can't get someone to split with you, how about cutting the long ones to a shorter size in the future when you feel comfortable that that's how short you want them. Just an idea I had.
    Mack C. in Brooklin (Whitby) ON
    It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact,
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-o...95203433854962

Quote Originally Posted by Mack C. in Brooklin ON View Post
    Hi Kerry; a thought I had, if 10 of the long ones are 2 many and you can't get someone to split with you, how about cutting the long ones to a shorter size in the future when you feel comfortable that that's how short you want them. Just an idea I had.
    Hmmmm, that's an idea. If no-one's interested in splitting some I may just do that, thanks Mack.

Kerry

Kerry, that's what I am doing too.

what is the saving

Just an opinion here.... but these lkook just like some cheap ones I have (got from another supplier) not worth the (half that much) I paid for them. LV already says " these clamps are lighter duty than our regularly cataloged aluminum clamps, at about 1/4 of the price." so I would be a cautious buyer. The little cast aluminum ratchet shears off with any pressure and then the tail end doesn't hold... Just my experience with those Blue Aluminum China made clamps. Be better off buying one at a time a good steel bar clamp. IMHO
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Just an opinion here.... but these lkook just like some cheap ones I have (got from another supplier) not worth the (half that much) I paid for them. LV already says " these clamps are lighter duty than our regularly cataloged aluminum clamps, at about 1/4 of the price." so I would be a cautious buyer. The little cast aluminum ratchet shears off with any pressure and then the tail end doesn't hold... Just my experience with those Blue Aluminum China made clamps. Be better off buying one at a time a good steel bar clamp. IMHO
    Hi Bill (Hickory); You remind me of the cynical guy I once was was.
    $6.00/ea for the short ones, $7.90/ea for the long ones vs $26.40 & 32.50 for the short & long ones at the regular price.

I am not dumb enough to think I am getting the same quality, but at that price I'll do a glue up and decide if they are keepers or not. God only knows I have more than enough clamps to last me, but at this price you can't go wrong.

If those ratchet thingies shear off, it's easy enough to drill holes at random intervals along the bar and put a pin through them.

If I waited to buy one good steel bar clamp, at the price they are being offered at, I'd have to wait 4 years/clamp. That's 40 years before I accumulate 10 of them. Sorry!, but I don't have that long on this earth to wait.

But everyone out there that have purchased them already, Hickory has warned you, so don't be surprised when that ratchet thingie shears off. You have been warned!:lol: I'm a gambling guy who is going to take my chances, and have already as a matter of fact. How many of you people have bought them already?

I didn't buy the clamps but saw them at LV today as I was getting the dust collector (just below the clamps on the sales sheet). Hickory is correct in that they are quite flimsy but then as Mac states as long as your expectations are set you should be fine.
    Chris

Lee Valley had these same clamps on sale about 4 or 5 years ago for I believe $8.50 each. At that time you could buy them individually, I don't know the reason for grouping them in 10's this time. I purchase four of them last them they were on sale and I use them regularly to glue up oak and maple panels. I have not had the ratchet shear off and they withstand the pressure I have needed to do all sorts of glueups.

CORRECTION:----- The clamps I purchased a few years ago were 36" not the 49" . They are great for the money.

Les
    Last edited by Les@Brownsville; 09-06-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Don't mean to quibble Bill but what Rob Lee actually said was

"These of some of my favorite clamps... they're the same manufacturer as as our regular light-duty aluminum clamps, but we had the extrusion thickened up to 1.7mm...

At $7 or $9 each, they're an excellent buy."

Blaine
    "Congratulations. You've just figured out the most complicated way to hold a board 30 inches off the floor."
    Tage Frid

I have some from a few years back as well. When I first got them, I thought they were pretty cheap looking and may not be much good for heavy jobs.

However, on a recent project they were a work saver. I ended up having to clamp across a very awkward to reach piece and used both these and some bar clamps and some Bessey K-Body clamps. These did the job and were a hell of a lot easier to support/place out over 4 feet without banging my project with the other very heavy clamps.

I intend to get some more. Hopefully there will be some left in a couple weeks when my budget allows another trip to LV.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack C. in Brooklin ON View Post
    Hi Bill (Hickory); You remind me of the cynical guy I once was was.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]
    I don't know about being cynical but I was just saying that I too buy cheap tools and as long as you know they are not as good as the real thing and don't expect to arm you arsonal of clamps with these as your only source. I have several Good steel bars that I have acquired through sale price purchasing and Yardsale goodies. But I line my racks with pipe clamps to hold me till I find more . I did buy a couple of the Aluminum and was disappointed, yes I drilled a couple of holes and pin them but that is a PITA to use and the screw isn't all that good either.

Just fill that BTDT is worth telling about. Cynical (?) No, Clynical (?) Maybe.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

I appreciate your opinion Bill, but I already have 4 cheap aluminum bar clamps from other vendors, and I use them quite often. Not always, but they're certainly handy to have around. I have some pipe clamps, some F-clamps and a couple of parallel jaw clamps too; that's why I don't want 20 of these and would like to split a couple of boxes of each. I'm not familiar with LV's regular aluminum bar clamps but I suspect they're likely better than the cheapos I've picked up at wood shows. If these new ones are the same as those, I'll be happy enough. It's funny you point that out though, because Rob Lee also posted this here:

Hi Chis -

These of some of my favorite clamps... they're the same manufacturer as as our regular light-duty aluminum clamps, but we had the extrusion thickened up to 1.7mm...

At $7 or $9 each, they're an excellent buy.

Cheers -

Rob
    I wonder how thick the extrusion is on their regular aluminum clamps?

Cheers,
    Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine in Kitchener View Post
    Don't mean to quibble Bill but what Rob Lee actually said was

"These of some of my favorite clamps... they're the same manufacturer as as our regular light-duty aluminum clamps, but we had the extrusion thickened up to 1.7mm...

At $7 or $9 each, they're an excellent buy."

Blaine
    Hi Blaine,

Bill's quote from LV was from their catalog (and website). It would be interesting to compare these new ones to their regular ones. Guess I need to drop in to the store again - aw shucks!:lol:

Cheers,
    Kerry

What am I missing?

I received my catalogue yesterday, and th eflyer insert only priced the 24" opening clamps in a box of ten, where did you see the 49" box of 10?

Thanks,
    Wendall / Woody in the Hat

View my gallery hall... http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/f...p?do=hall&u=85

Maintenance-free means when it breaks, it can't be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody in the Hat View Post
    What am I missing?

I received my catalogue yesterday, and th eflyer insert only priced the 24" opening clamps in a box of ten, where did you see the 49" box of 10?

Thanks,
    Mine shows A & B 25" & 49" opening. Maybe you didn't get the good flyer. LOL.

17. Default

Got my clamps in the mail today. They are at least as good or better quality than the ones I paid $10 or $11 for at one of the wood shows a couple years ago. I use them all the time and have been happy with them. If I break one I am obviously applying way to much pressure. From what I see I'm happy.

Thumbs up

I picked up a box of each last night. I took them home and tried them out. They seem to work well, and are fairly well made, and the price is awesome.
    I have a lot of Bessy's, as well as other clamps, but I can definitely see these being very usefull in the shop. I'm keeping them.
    Cheers Shawn.

I, too, took the plunge and picked up a set of the 49" clamps and think they'll help round out my bar clamp collection. Now, if only they'd have a similiar deal on C or F-clamps.

BTW, a fellow member of the Ottawa Woodworkers Association mentioned that the aluminum bar reacts with PVA glues, resulting in ugly black stains where your wood touches the clamp. This sounds similiar to what I get with my Jorgenson's and other iron I-bar clamps, so to me it's nothing to be overly concerned with as it's easy to get around: lay strips made from garbage bags between the wood and the clamps. (Perhaps a coating or two of lacquer on the aluminum body would do the same thing?)

Marty in Ottawa
    [SIGPIC]
    Marty Schlosser
    Maker of fine wood shavings in Kingston, ON
    and member of Kingston Woodworkers Association (www.KingstonWoodworkers.ca)

[quote=Marty S;136899]I, too, took the plunge and picked up a set of the 49" clamps and think they'll help round out my bar clamp collection. Now, if only they'd have a similiar deal on C or F-clamps.

BTW, a fellow member of the Ottawa Woodworkers Association mentioned that the aluminum bar reacts with PVA glues, resulting in ugly black stains where your wood touches the clamp. This sounds similiar to what I get with my Jorgenson's and other iron I-bar clamps, so to me it's nothing to be overly concerned with as it's easy to get around:
    lay strips made from garbage bags between the wood and the clamps.
    Hi Marty; no need to ruin a good garbage bag. Cut that plastic tube that covers the clamps when you get them into strips (6" long or so) , then slit them and lay over the body of the clamp. I lay short sections of garden hose over my pipe clamps to stop the black stains from the interaction of the glue and the steel pipe. The garden hose won't work so well on the aluminum bars.