FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: General International 5/8'' Chisel Mortiser

Default General International 5/8'' Chisel Mortiser

Hi
    Once again I need advice. Has anyone had any experience with the 75-050T General International 5/8'' Chisel Mortiser. It's the one that tilts.
    I don't know that I will need one that tilts, but you never know. I'm buying all the tools I can now for retirement next year.
    Thanks for the help
    Larrie

It rated first in a mortiser comparison a couple of years ago...not sure which mag, but I think it was Wood IIRC....

I have it. Its a good machine. I have never used the tilt feature but for $50, I would have kicked myself if I ever needed it and didnt get it.
    The base on the tilting machine is heavier and larger.

Default GI tilting head mortiser

I have that mortiser as well and I like it. Another advantage of the tilting head model is that the head is telescoping - this gives you another 4 to 5 inches of height between the tip of the bit and the base when you need it. I found this feature usefull for the mortises on some exterior doors I built.

I have that mortiser as well and really like it. One feature I would have like would be a moving table, not critical but nice. I just received the King flyer from the local dealer. In the flyer they have a 5/8 chisel mortiser which looks similar to the GI you are talking about, however it also has a moving table. Not sure on the quality but it looks nice from the picture at least. Might be worth checking out.