FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: How to reverse motor direction?

Default How to reverse motor direction?

I recently bought one of these: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...84&cat=1,43072
    and looked for motors in the range of 1/4hp or so. I found the followings at very good prices ($5 to $10):

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...QAdIdZ18627125
    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...QAdIdZ17978881
    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...QAdIdZ17978487

The problem is that they rotate clockwise but I want counterclockwise (the 1/2hp is a bit too big and doesn't have a mounting bracket). My question is, is it possible to change the direction of the rotation? I went there and checked them out. There is only a wire sticking out of the motor housing. So it seems one has to open the motor to change something inside to reverse the direction. Is this something I could do myself?
    Thanks

Mreza, I purchased that same belt grinder with a motor at a garage sale a few years ago for $40. The motor was turning the belts clockwise so I looked at the motor and it had written on it the process to reverse the motor. I had to switch two colored wires blue and yellow. It is a 1/8hp motor 1725rpm and works great.

Marty

If you can't reverse the motor's spin, how about moving the rest to the other side of the bracket (its kind of hard to see in the Lee Valley photo, is the motor base/bracket drilled the same on both sides?).

John

Unfortunately (as you can see in the pictures of the motors) there is no description of how (and if) it is reversable on the plate; nothing more than the standard info about voltage/amp/frequency/rpm etc.
    I thought about moving everything to the other side (as John suggests) but the unit is not symmetric; the tube that houses the upper wheel is not in the center.

Real Name
    Brian

NORMALLY, on low HP, 120V motors you just reverse the 2 colored wires that run from the connectors to the motor windings.
    Those GE motors will have exactly that. Likely a blue and red wire to reverse. They are usually quick-connect for exactly that reason.
    Instructions are usually printed on the inside of the cover.

I would go with the 1/4 HP as it looks in better shape and has an easier mounting foot for what you're doing.
    Salamat, Ingat

Brian in Calgary

Default Belt sander

Just reverse the wires attached to your white and black inputs.

I have this belt sander and there is an attachement that you should get for it today!

I had looked into twist drill bit sharpeners forever and I couldn't find a good one within my budget. The belt sander manufacturer makes a drill bit sharpening attachment that's fantastic - I think it was about $70 delivered.

This attachment will handle bits up to 1/2" and you can change the included angle to under 90 degrees if you want.

I was sick of dull bits and replacing them or doing a shabby handgrinding job. This tool gets you a symetrical point and you can touch up the relief by hand.

There are some good articles on twist bit sharpening on the web. They give you the images that you need to imitate.

This is THE acessory that Lee Valley should be carrying.

open the motor and find the start winding, it will be hooked to the centrifical switch. Reverse the leads .

hobby woodworking since 1972

Thanks guys. Based on what you say it seems it's something I should be able to do. I'll get a 1/4HP. Given that they are dirt cheap ($12 for 1/2 and $15 for 3/4hp) I may get a larger one too in case I build something in the future and use it.

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza View Post
    Thanks guys. Based on what you say it seems it's something I should be able to do. I'll get a 1/4HP. Given that they are dirt cheap ($12 for 1/2 and $15 for 3/4hp) I may get a larger one too in case I build something in the future and use it.
    It's not always as easy as has been mentioned. Not all motors are wired for reverse. They can all be reversed but in some cases it requires taking the motor apart as Bryan mentioned. I have had to reverse pool pump motors and they have all the connections soldered so it meant digging into the windings to do so. That is a rare case though.I have yet to see an AC motor that can be reversed simply by reversing the feed lines. Perhaps they do exist but I haven't seen one yet.
    If you get the motor home and there is no facility to to reverse it, post a clear picture of the wiring and we should be able to help you out. By the looks of that 1/4 HP motor, it should be pretty straight forward.
    Good luck
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Default Worked great!

Thanks folks. I went tonight and picked up a 1/4HP for the sander/grinder (for $8); I got a 1/2HP too (for $12) that I thought I might use later, two motors for $20 is a good deal.
    Opened the 1/4HP and sure there were a blue and a yellow wire going inside the windings. The only thing that looked a bit strange was there were three poles, I call them A, B, C. The wires from the cord were connected to B and C while the motor wires (yellow/blue) were connected to A and C. I swaped these two and now it rotates counterclockwise. Assembled the sander and everything works great.
    Again, this forum has proved to be a indispensable source of help.

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza View Post
    Thanks folks. I went tonight and picked up a 1/4HP for the sander/grinder (for $8); I got a 1/2HP too (for $12) that I thought I might use later, two motors for $20 is a good deal.
    Opened the 1/4HP and sure there were a blue and a yellow wire going inside the windings. The only thing that looked a bit strange was there were three poles, I call them A, B, C. The wires from the cord were connected to B and C while the motor wires (yellow/blue) were connected to A and C. I swaped these two and now it rotates counterclockwise. Assembled the sander and everything works great.
    Again, this forum has proved to be a indispensable source of help.
    It's likely a 115/230 volt motor and it's wired for 115 V. The connections for that third terminal are made on the back side of that plate.
    Glad it worked out for you.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd