FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Pole Lathe vs Power Lathe!

Default Pole Lathe vs Power Lathe!

I was checking out the APT website today and ran across a video taken last weekend at the South Yorkshire Wood Fair over in the UK. Robin Wood (who wrote the book on turning bowls on the pole lathe) was up against a power-lathe turner named Mike. They started out at the same time. Mike finished a bit before Robin, mostly due to a catch that terminated his bowl a bit before he was ready. I'd wondered how fast a bowl could be done on a pole lathe. I've done a couple of my own, but they took an inordinate amount of time, probably due to Operator Error ;^)

They put the video up on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDgIGzw4VtA

Darrell
    who is now wondering when he can get back up to the cottage where the pole lathe lives and try some of that myself!
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Thanks for posting Darrell! I enjoyed watching it. Robin's bowl was not only first, but looked better done as well.

E.G.
    You stop learning the instant you start talking...
    And start again when you stop thinking how smart you are.

Very fun to watch. Thanks for posting.

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

Hi Darrell
    Thanks for posting this, yes I saw it also on a few other forums, but saw it here first.
    I watched the other video also, did you see the pile of platters and bowls in the background ??, I would think he has some good pumping muscles in his legs making all those turnings ;-)) , that's also where "practice makes perfect" does apply, as I think he was the better turner by far.
    Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Default Neat

You can't compare the two bowls! I also like the "safety equipment" required when truning on the pole lathe - turning and tanning. Well maybe not in Old Blighty...

Thanks for the very entertaining link - 5 minutes of my life that I don't want back.