FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know where I can get JET Bandsaw 14''

Default Does anyone know where I can get JET Bandsaw 14''

I would like to find the information on where to get JET Bandsaw 14'' in Ontario or Baffalo? I spoke to amazon.com, they don't ship to Canada.

Any idea?
    Thanks

Real Name
    Bob DeWolfe

Rockler in Buffalo has Jet tools. Check their website and call before going across.

Real Name
    Mark Rose

Have you tried this place?
    http://www.philippsbros.com/index.html
    Cheers, Mark

Blog Entries

There used to be All-In-One tools in Mississauga, but they don't carry them anymore since JET left the Canadian Market 2 or 3 years ago.

Do you really want to be dealing with a company that does not deal in the country you reside in. I wanted to get one of their canister filters for my DC and was quoted $600 instead of the $230 that King would sell it or $300 for the General that would fit my DC. Why, because they have to bring it in from the US. Repairs and parts will take much longer.

I would reconsider buying JET unless you are planning on moving to the US.

Kevin
    Kevin

Woodcraft in the USA has them on for about $550 (Jet Model JWBS-14CS). If you had a bit extra in the coffers, for $699 Steel City has their's (model 50100) on special until March 2008 right now.

The table is 1 inch bigger all around, the motor is 1.5 instead of 1HP, The SC saw is 2 speed, where Jet does not mention it. SC's is 110/220V and is 40lb's heavier and comes with a mobile base.

Like Kevin said, JET ran away from the Canadian market, so it will make getting service (if needed) awkward to say the least.

I'd look at the Steel City if there was not a really good reason you have your heart set on a JET.

Lloyd

Philpps Bros. Supply in Buffalo carries Jet and I'm sure they had a 14" BS in the showroom when I was there last weekend.

http://www.philippsbros.com/index.html

If you can wait a few months I have heard that Jet will be returning to Canada in the new year. It will be re-branded but I can't remember what the name will be. Should be easy enough to find out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in Hamilton View Post
    If you can wait a few months I have heard that Jet will be returning to Canada in the new year. It will be re-branded but I can't remember what the name will be. Should be easy enough to find out.
    Crazy thought just crossed my mind....what if they are coming back to Canada via being the floor model brand of equipment available at the Loews they're due to start opening soon?
    Kevin

Real Name
    Bob DeWolfe

LOEW'S US does carry the Jet Brand.

It will be interesting to see hoe the pricing (Can vs Us $) is when they open as well.

Default Delta parts may work

I have an 25 year old Jet 14" bandsaw. When I went to Atlas Machinery for a broken part, they just sold me a Delta part. I don't know how identical they are now, but back then, they were copied to the point of being able to interchange the parts.

...Wayne

Late to the party here but I have just been researching this "don't ship to Canada" and ridiculous prices for bringing something 100 feet across the border. I've found the solution.

Consider going to a US border town and setting up a shipping address. Here in NB there are a growing bunch of people on the US side that are setting up shipping drops for Canadians. I just visited one fellow yesterday and was blown away by the stacks and stacks of parcels that he had there - including what looked like a winter tire car shop - haha. Apparently there's some 150+ parcels arriving there daily - all for Canadians that then show up and bring the stuff across themselves and happily pay the duties/taxes. He's been doing it for 21 years so this is not a new phenomenom by any means.

He takes a few bucks for each parcel and you can go over and pick up a bunch of parcels when they accumulate so you are not wasting gas to get some small item. Here's some amusing items I never realized until I talked to him -

- You can use the address for your US only rebate cheques
    - Magazine subscriptions
    - He's got a forklift and warehouse - and yes he has seen many Grizzly tools appearing at his location
    - One fellow even ordered and took delivery of a boat !!!

If this sort of thing is going on here in NB, I would imagine there are 10x the people doing it up in Ontario. You will have to ask around and do a bit of digging but once you find one of them, the others will appear like mushrooms.

I was telling my dentist about this last week and he started laughing - he just took delivery of 8 x 17" winter tires, balanced on rims via some mail order place in the US and saved about 2400 dollars from the price he was given in Canada !

PM me if you need to

Cheers,
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Cobb View Post
    Late to the party here but I have just been researching this "don't ship to Canada" and ridiculous prices for bringing something 100 feet across the border. I've found the solution.

Consider going to a US border town and setting up a shipping address. Here in NB there are a growing bunch of people on the US side that are setting up shipping drops for Canadians. I just visited one fellow yesterday and was blown away by the stacks and stacks of parcels that he had there - including what looked like a winter tire car shop - haha. Apparently there's some 150+ parcels arriving there daily - all for Canadians that then show up and bring the stuff across themselves and happily pay the duties/taxes. He's been doing it for 21 years so this is not a new phenomenom by any means.

He takes a few bucks for each parcel and you can go over and pick up a bunch of parcels when they accumulate so you are not wasting gas to get some small item. Here's some amusing items I never realized until I talked to him -

- You can use the address for your US only rebate cheques
    - Magazine subscriptions
    - He's got a forklift and warehouse - and yes he has seen many Grizzly tools appearing at his location
    - One fellow even ordered and took delivery of a boat !!!

If this sort of thing is going on here in NB, I would imagine there are 10x the people doing it up in Ontario. You will have to ask around and do a bit of digging but once you find one of them, the others will appear like mushrooms.

I was telling my dentist about this last week and he started laughing - he just took delivery of 8 x 17" winter tires, balanced on rims via some mail order place in the US and saved about 2400 dollars from the price he was given in Canada !

PM me if you need to

Cheers,
    Lewis

If anyone knows of such a person/place in Buffalo-Niagara please PM me.

Default Thanks all for your valuable information

I could wait until chrismas, and see what happends in Canada. The reason I didn't choose Steel city, is because they are pretty new - I knew they were from Delta when the company merged. But don't see too much comments on the bandsaw. I would like to know how their raiser kits, and resaw fence etc.

I saw some postings on their cabinet saw, seems a lots tiny problems.

Default Some people have done this-

- find the closest "The UPS Store" across the border from you, http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/loc...?WT.svl=SubNav and have your item shipped there (of course, notify them first that you are expecting something). When it arrives they will call you, and just go and pick it up!
    I'm not sure how heavy a parcel they can handle, but on the website they say "no job too big or too small"!
    If you are ordering something heavy, it would probably be good to check with them first to see if they can load it onto your truck!

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    Crazy thought just crossed my mind....what if they are coming back to Canada via being the floor model brand of equipment available at the Loews they're due to start opening soon?
    Won't happen not under the Jet name, since the name belongs to another company here in Canada...

http://www.woodworking.com/article.cfm?article=1984

If you don't want to read the complete article:

“For all intents and purposes,” they told me, “there is currently no distribution of JET WMH tool group products in Canada. Legally, JET WMH products cannot be shipped to Canada though, of course, some slip through. There is, however, another company called Jet in Canada that is not part of this company. The Jet name in Canada is owned by a company that primarily distributes material handling products.”

Default Jet USA vs Jet Canada....

As it was told to me from a former Jet retailer, Jet used to be one company selling their product in both Canada and the US. A few years ago the decision was made to split the company along the "border" - hence Jet USA and Jet Canada. Jet USA embarked on improving and adding to their product line, while Jet Canada left the existing line pretty much as it was, and added hand tools and material handling equipment. The deal was that neither company was allowed sell their product in the other country. That is why Jet USA cannot sell their equipment in Canada. If you want something from Jet USA, you have to go and buy it there.

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Dodds View Post
    - find the closest "The UPS Store" across the border from you, http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/loc...?WT.svl=SubNav and have your item shipped there (of course, notify them first that you are expecting something). When it arrives they will call you, and just go and pick it up!
    I'm not sure how heavy a parcel they can handle, but on the website they say "no job too big or too small"!
    If you are ordering something heavy, it would probably be good to check with them first to see if they can load it onto your truck!

Ed.
    Several years ago I had a shipment of two small boxes sent to the UPS Store in Port Huron. These 2 boxes were from the same company and I picked them up and paid $10. which was what I was told before I had them delivered, $10 a shipment. A month later I had orders delivered from 2 different companies and this time there was 3 small boxes from each company. The UPS store charged $10 per box for just receiving the boxes on my behalf. When I complained about the price difference between this and my first shipment the lady promptly informed me that she owned the business and that the other lady had made a mistake. I paid $60. for the six boxes and I could carry them all in one arm. The UPS store in Port Huron is a franchise and not owned by UPS. I now have my parcels delivered to the UPS terminal in Port Huron and there is no charge. UPS also can handle larger pieces of equipment but it is their freight division and their terminals are separate from the parcel division. I think it was Roadway Transport in the US that UPS took over for larger pieces. They do have a terminal in Buffalo.
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Quote Originally Posted by pber2025 View Post
    Won't happen not under the Jet name, since the name belongs to another company here in Canada...

http://www.woodworking.com/article.cfm?article=1984

If you don't want to read the complete article:

“For all intents and purposes,” they told me, “there is currently no distribution of JET WMH tool group products in Canada. Legally, JET WMH products cannot be shipped to Canada though, of course, some slip through. There is, however, another company called Jet in Canada that is not part of this company. The Jet name in Canada is owned by a company that primarily distributes material handling products.”
    I believe you may have missed the part of my post where I mentioned that the Jet products would be re-branded for sale in Canada.

Default Jet tools in Canada at Lowes

I have been able to confirm that Jet tools will be sold in Canada at Lowes under the Performax label. The Lowes store here is scheduled to open in early December.
    Last edited by Paul in Hamilton; 11-26-2007 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in Hamilton View Post
    I have been able to confirm that Jet tools will be sold in Canada at Lowes under the Performax label. The Lowes store here is sceduled to open in early December.

thanks for your information.

Default Jet vs Delta

Louis Iturra does a blow by blow assessment on these saws in his catalogue and concludes the Delta is the better saw. Quote: Why because it's simply built better. Yes the Jet matched the Delta cut for cut... but the question you should ask yourself is, will it last. end Quote
    He didn't like the thinner castings and the thinner wheels and was also dubious about the motor quality on the Jet. With the riser block he states a minimum 1 1/2 HP motor is a must have.
    As the Delta was mainly made in Mexico at the time of the comparison things might have changed now with a different source of castings, etc.
    Personally if it was me I would go with a bigger saw as you are talking riser block. Why try to make a small saw do a big saw's work? If space/portability is a problem there are some excellent 16" - 20" machines with small footprints out there and how many times do you need to move a band saw?
    When choosing a machine that will probably be the most used in your shop you might be a lot better off paying more $$$ now than later.