FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: I need help wiring my bandsaw for 240V.

Default I need help wiring my bandsaw for 240V.

I own a Delta 14” Bandsaw. The model number is 28-263. This is the “Platinum Edition” purchase in 2001. It has a 1 HP Marathon motor. The motor is presently wired for 120V. I would like to wire it for 240V. On the motor there are two diagrams to wire it for 120V or 240V. So far, the solution seems rather obvious. However, here is a little known fact (I sure as hell did not know it), bandsaws (or at least my bandsaw) operate with their motor turning counter-clockwise. The problem is that these two diagrams make the motor turn clockwise. Would anybody know how to wire it properly to make it turn counter-clockwise and work with 240V.

The Delta user manual for my bandsaw has nothing on this. The Delta technical service department cannot give electrical advices over the phone. However, they referred me to an authorized Delta technician who services the area where I live. Interestingly enough, I am not the first customer to contact him about this wiring problem. And, he does not know how to do it. He has contacted Delta about it and is still waiting for an answer.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by JPlourde View Post
    I own a Delta 14” Bandsaw. The model number is 28-263. This is the “Platinum Edition” purchase in 2001. It has a 1 HP Marathon motor. The motor is presently wired for 120V. I would like to wire it for 240V. On the motor there are two diagrams to wire it for 120V or 240V. So far, the solution seems rather obvious. However, here is a little known fact (I sure as hell did not know it), bandsaws (or at least my bandsaw) operate with their motor turning counter-clockwise. The problem is that these two diagrams make the motor turn clockwise. Would anybody know how to wire it properly to make it turn counter-clockwise and work with 240V.

The Delta user manual for my bandsaw has nothing on this. The Delta technical service department cannot give electrical advices over the phone. However, they referred me to an authorized Delta technician who services the area where I live. Interestingly enough, I am not the first customer to contact him about this wiring problem. And, he does not know how to do it. He has contacted Delta about it and is still waiting for an answer.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thank you very much.
    JP,
    I am assuming the bandsaw is turning in the correct direction now with the way it is currently wired? Could you post which wires are connected with which wires? And finally what is the frame size or model number of the motor?
    Last edited by Chuck in Montreal; 11-16-2007 at 09:54 AM.
    Chuck in Montreal

Default A guess

I've never done it so I can't say for sure. I'm guessing.

The 120V wiring diagram should match with what you have, if it doesn't then note the difference. The only thing I can think of would be to that the neutral (white) and hot ( black) leads are switched.

Take a look at the 240V diagram and wire the motor exactly the way it says. Try it out and see if the motor is actually turning the opposit way. You may be misinterpretting how you look at the motor before deciding clockwise and counter clockwise. If it does turn in the wrong direction try switching the red and black wires. This will switch the phase of the power going into the motor and might cause it to go in the opposite direction.

Personally I think the motor will always turn in the same direction and therefore it will work correctly when you wire it for 240.

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Please note that I am not an electrician nor am I knowledgeable about motors. The frame size of the bandsaw is 14”. If you are referring to the frame size of the motor, I do not have this information or the model number of the motor at this time. I will get it and post it on Monday.

The 1 HP Marathon motor has a trap at the end where you find the wiring. The wires are attached to tabs that are numbered. When I acquired this bandsaw, it was wired for 120V as follow:

• Brown wire and Black wire were attached to the Tab #2
    • White wire and Red wire were attached to Tab #4
    • The Line 1 (also a white wire) was attached to Tab #4
    • The Line 2 (also a black wire) was attached to Tab #1

For your information the two diagrams on the motor go as follow:

• Low Voltage
    o Brown wire and Red wire should be attached to the Tab #2
    o White wire and Black wire should be attached to Tab #4
    o The Line 1 (also a white wire) should be attached to Tab #4
    o The Line 2 (also a black wire) should be attached to Tab #1

• High Voltage
    o Red wire and White wire should be attached to the Tab #2
    o Brown wire should be attached to Tab #6
    o Black wire should be attached to Tab #4

Again, thank you very much.

Thank you for your reply,

I have tried the 240V diagram and the motor turns clockwise which means that the blade turns upwise; not exactly what you want on a bandsaw.

JPlourde,
    I think you have your answer in your own post... look closely:

Brown wire and Black wire were attached to the Tab #2
    • White wire and Red wire were attached to Tab #4
    • The Line 1 (also a white wire) was attached to Tab #4
    • The Line 2 (also a black wire) was attached to Tab #1

For your information the two diagrams on the motor go as follow:

• Low Voltage
    o Brown wire and Red wire should be attached to the Tab #2
    o White wire and Black wire should be attached to Tab #4

• High Voltage
    o Red wire and White wire should be attached to the Tab #2
    o Brown wire should be attached to Tab #6
    o Black wire should be attached to Tab #4
    So, as you describe it, the brown and black are on #2 and the white and red are on #4 (current set up), yet the diagram in the motor says brown and red to #2 and white and black to # 4. There is a contradiction there. I assume (and I am not an electrician) that you do as they did when they wired it for 110, and swap the black and red and you should be good to go. (I hope )
    Jason in Sudbury

I am shocked that the Delta service tech has heard of the problem but can't provide the solution no wonder Delta is losing sales. I can't tell for sure based on descriptors but usually reversing the black and red wires will reverse the direction of the motor. I would suggest that you confirm this with the manufacturer of the motor though.

Yogi
    Have a good day and play safe!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Sudbury View Post
    JPlourde,
    I think you have your answer in your own post... look closely:

So, as you describe it, the brown and black are on #2 and the white and red are on #4 (current set up), yet the diagram in the motor says brown and red to #2 and white and black to # 4. There is a contradiction there. I assume (and I am not an electrician) that you do as they did when they wired it for 110, and swap the black and red and you should be good to go. (I hope )
    To add to this ususally some place on the motor it will say to reverse direction reverse the _____ & _____ wires. In your case the blanks will be red and black.
    Gary in Niagara (Fenwick, Ontario)

Blog Entries

I recall when I hooked up my sub panel in my shop that I was unable to convert my Delta bandsaw over to 220V due to poor description and confusion related to the wiring diagram. Mine is a Delta 28-212C circa about 2003 Made in US of A. It seems to be identical to the one that is in the shop on New Yankee Workshop. I also called Delta and they refused to give instructions over the phone. My Ridgid jointer and RAS were a cinch to change over to 220V in comparison.

I can't say I'm overly concerned about the bandsaw not being on 220V.

Q: Could someone share what significant advantage there would be other than the motor runs a bit easier?

Q: Does it offer as an advantage of being better for re-sawing I wonder?
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    Q: Could someone share what significant advantage there would be other than the motor runs a bit easier?

Q: Does it offer as an advantage of being better for re-sawing I wonder?
    The main reasons for wiring to 240v is you can use a smaller wire. I have heard that the motor will start quicker or smoother but I don't know about that one. The same amount of electricity will be consumed and you will not get any more power from the motor.

My take on this is if the motor runs on a 15a/120v circuit there is no big advantage in changing the voltage but if you are talking a TS that needs a 20a/240v circuit you would need a 40a circuit to run that motor at 120v.
    Gary in Niagara (Fenwick, Ontario)

Real Name
    Bill

Gary,
    You are correct. The only major advantage is to be able to use smaller wirer and this can be a factor if the motor is a long distance from the breaker panel. This also is likely the reason people say it starts smoother etc. If the wire to the saw is adequately sized then there is no advantage.

My little quirk is that I prefer lower current joints and connections and that is why I run some of my tools on 240V even though it isn't necessary.

billh

Real Name
    J.P.

Wire it according to the diagram (220)but reverse the black and red wires. It will work.
    If your not sure you trust me...wire it, plug it in and switch it on for 2 seconds or so then switch it off. The worst thing that can happen is you trip a breaker. The best thing that can happen is the saw runs. You can't hurt the motor doing this. Even if it's a dead short all it will do is trip the breaker. Make sure everything is grounded properly.
    It will work. You have nothing to worry about. Jason pointed out the answer.

As mentioned above, most motors will tell you witch wires to change just below the diagram. I'm surprised this one doesn't.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Well! I am VERY impressed with you people. Who needs Delta’s technical department when you have the Canadian Woodworking Forum. Thanks to Jason in Sudbury and Yogibear, my wiring problem is now solved. Gary in Niagara and J.P. Rap also knew how to do it (Sorry Gary and J.P., I just read your replies this morning and I did the conversion this week-end).

Thank you very much.