FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: king industrial saw - any good?

Default king industrial saw - any good?

I'm looking at a King Industrial 10" 2HP contractor's saw for sale locally. From what I've read, King Canada tools (their smaller power tools) are generally not worth the money (or at least, you get what you pay for). OTOH, King Industrial (their bigger, stationary power tools) are usually pretty good for the money.

I'm still waiting for the seller to pony up some photos, and apparently the saw's disassembled so I don't know how much info I'll glean, but does anyone have any info on the KC-10RC? I know it's cast iron top with two webbed cast iron extensions, has a 48" capacity fence, and has a true 2HP motor (draws 18A). The price is right, anyways, and I can't afford much more..

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks,

Isaac

Here's a pic I found of one with the same model number. It's possible yours will have a different fence...

Quote Originally Posted by scott in rochester View Post
    Here's a pic I found of one with the same model number. It's possible yours will have a different fence...

I have a KC-10TC - almost the same saw. The webbed extensions are both a plus and a minus. I bought it used, and the prior owner was really hard on the metal cabinet - the welds have let go; so i had quite a bit of work on it.

Minuses -
    It comes with stamped pulleys, not cast - huge improvement by upgrading to cast pulleys and a link belt (and not too expensive).
    It comes with web wings - not everyone's favorite, and when the insides of the webs rust, tough to clean. The lighter tables make the saw more likely to vibrate if anything is out of adjustment.
    Power switch is designed to mount to the stock King fence - requires modification to mount to alternate fences. (I use an incra fence. had to make a switch mount). The power switch on the photo you've attached looks integrated, but very small, and well under the saw.
    Tilt Handwheel tends to unscrew during tilt, and tighten/catch during straighten. (partly my own clumsy grip, but a minor annoyance).

Plusses -
    Real 2HP motor, convertible 110/220V.
    Arbor has built-in stabilizer collar (great for thin kerf)
    Arbor is long - takes entire Craftsman 8" dado stack plus outside stabilizer collar.
    Mitre slots with t-slot on the bottom on both sides.
    Lighter web tables make it easy to move on mobile base.
    1/2" wide bevel on front and back edges of table makes use of feeders and infeed tables easy without catching stock on table.
    Fence locks at a good 90, and is easy to adjust, not so easy to knock out of kilter.

I did upgrade my fence , twice. I had a red-line accu-rip, and then i swapped it for an incra... Very happy; I think the motor is the big deal. Motor, flat table, standard table holes for fence upgrades, good to go. If you don't like the web wings, build an MDF support on a mobile base. I added a router table into mine to take advantage of the incra fence, and I love it.

Check the tilt direction - the model comes with 2 versions, left and right if it matters.

Yeah, he sent me some photos of the fence - it's definitely different. Looks like a Beis clone with a strange lockdown mechanism. Apparently he had it custom made.

Default King

How much is he asking? That appears to be the same as a friend had and it must be 20 yrs old.I wouldn't pay much more than $100 and would start lower.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
    How much is he asking? That appears to be the same as a friend had and it must be 20 yrs old.I wouldn't pay much more than $100 and would start lower.

Brian
    Asking price is $325.. seems to be about par with the market around here (old craftsman saws sell for around $300..)

For that price it better be very clean..... with little mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by isaac338 View Post
    Asking price is $325.. seems to be about par with the market around here (old craftsman saws sell for around $300..)
    The Biese clone fence and extra rip capacity should add some value, but $325 does seem a tad high unless it's in super shape and/or comes with some goodies....mobile base, inserts, blades, dado, etc. The used market varies day-to-day though...I'd hate to pass up a good saw @ $300 if that's the best deal you're likely to encounter in your market. Never hurts to take and look and ask what he'll take for it....if he's getting no calls, he might take less. You'll know if it's right for you when you see it and talk with him.

Real Name
    Mark Rose

If it is all there and the bearings are good, raise/lower and tilt work well and lock, The fence is good, locks well. You really can not go far wrong. Sure you could search around for a beter deal, but if you do not see that many on the used market then what do you have to chose from new Crappy Tire? Sears direct drive ****? There is not much to chose from at $300 budget.
    If you have a project you want to get started on, I would say go for it. I would try and get him down a bit however. You may need to buy a new blade or sharpen what it comes with.
    Good Luck, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
    If it is all there and the bearings are good, raise/lower and tilt work well and lock, The fence is good, locks well. You really can not go far wrong. Sure you could search around for a beter deal, but if you do not see that many on the used market then what do you have to chose from new Crappy Tire? Sears direct drive ****? There is not much to chose from at $300 budget.
    If you have a project you want to get started on, I would say go for it. I would try and get him down a bit however. You may need to buy a new blade or sharpen what it comes with.
    Good Luck, Mark
    yeah, that's what i've decided. i've talked him down a bit. the saw comes with a blade but nothing like dado blades or anything. i'm not worried about throat inserts as i can easily make them. deals come up but very rarely in this price range, and the likelihood of me having more money to put towards this is pretty slim (start classes again tomorrow morning!).

i'm going to see it tomorrow afternoon, and if it's not a pile of junk it'll be on my truck on the way home ;D

Default King Saw

I have had a King saw like this for about 15 years. I did replace the motor but outside of this I have had no problems. I paid $550.00 at the time.

Default King Industrial

Isaac

I have been, for the pass three years, the proud owner of the KC-10CCX and would tell you that it is worst all the money I have paid for it. The cost at that time was $849.00 and came with the 52" true rip fence. I have attached below the picture of the actual unit. My own suggestion would be to get the 52" fence for the extra $50.00.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Isaac

I have been, for the pass three years, the proud owner of the KC-10CCX and would tell you that it is worst all the money I have paid for it. The cost at that time was $849.00 and came with the 52" true rip fence. I have attached below the picture of the actual unit. My own suggestion would be to get the 52" fence for the extra $50.00.

thanks for the input. that saw's a little out of my league but hopefully the quality stands through their whole line. the only worry i have about the fence on this saw is that it's custom made - who knows if the guy who made it knew anything about building things square? and if it ever breaks, what about parts?

it looks good, and i'm going to go see it, but i'm still waffling about whether or not to buy... it's an hour and a half drive to see the thing, so hopefully it's worth it

actually, another question for you folks.. are there any dealers of king parts in nova scotia? their dealer locator doesn't work, and there's no service centers listed in NS on their site...

Quote Originally Posted by isaac338 View Post
    My second saw was a Delta QT-10 that looks very much like the one in the pictures. The last time I saw one of those at Canadian Tire in Nanaimo it was $399. I wouldn't pay more than a hundred bucks for that one without looking it over personally.

I love my QT-10. It had a great fence that was as accurate as the one on my unisaw. I think that the delta catalog number for the QT-10 was xx-360. I can go excavate my saw in the basement and check it out fir the right number if you like.

The price seems a little steep from my point of view.

Cheers

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael in Port Alberni View Post
    My second saw was a Delta QT-10 that looks very much like the one in the pictures. The last time I saw one of those at Canadian Tire in Nanaimo it was $399. I wouldn't pay more than a hundred bucks for that one without looking it over personally.

I love my QT-10. It had a great fence that was as accurate as the one on my unisaw. I think that the delta catalog number for the QT-10 was xx-360. I can go excavate my saw in the basement and check it out fir the right number if you like.

The price seems a little steep from my point of view.

Cheers

Michael
    His asking price is $350, I've talked him down to $275 and I'm going with $250 cash. Maybe I'll swing by home depot on the way out and check what they've got, I'm selling some leftover electrical wire later on in the week and I'll have a bit more cash. ;)

Anyone have a decent contractor's saw with a decent fence in the $300-350 range, driving distance from NS?

Thanks for all the advice.

Well, I bought the saw. The casting underneath which bevels the blade was broken in half and the price plummeted. It's a clean break and looks to me to be easily fixable with quiksteel. I got the saw, both extension wings, 50" fence (very nicely made, too), motor, original splitter and blade guard, belt, and an extension table, all for $80. It'll be a bit of work to get it going but the price was sure right.

Is this my first gloat?

The fence needs a little work; the lockdown is a little bent but should be replaced readily enough.

Overall hopefully it'll be a good deal. Worst case, I bought a 2HP motor for my compressor for $80 (which is still a damn good deal!)

Thumbs up

All the other parts are worth well more than $80....you done good.

...Before and after pics please!

...Before and after pics please!
    here's a few shots..

top before:

base, motor, and wings:

fence.. pretty well made, and dead flat/straight:

the broken trunnion bracket:

clamped up and ready to repair:

after repair: it's strong as new, i rapped it on the table a few times and it didn't budge. this stuff is magic:

the stuff i used to repair (you can buy it at princess auto, the catalogue has it listed at $2.99 and it's labelled $5.99 on the shelf so they sold it to me for $2.99):

and lastly, the top after some quality time with WD40 and 120 grit on a ROS:

thanks for the advice. hopefully i'll get it mostly together tonight and we'll see how she works!

Should the repair not hold cast can be welded its just not as easy as regular steel. We have lots of welding shops including a friend in this area and he advises that there is only one that can weld it properly. For $80 you got a great deal. Berwick Building Supply in Berwick did sell King and I believe that Fundy Grinding in Truro also have a few king tools. What part of NS do you live in.
    Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"