FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: How would you check out a used saw?

Default How would you check out a used saw?

I've stumbled across a used Ridgid TS3650 that's described as > 1 year old, lightly used and in excellent condition. The seller's come down to $500 and I think I'll give it a look. For reference, here's a link to HD's site for details on the TS3650:
    http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

So, two questions:
    1. With a current retail of $799 (went up $100 Jan 1/07 it seems) is $500 a reasonable price for this saw - assuming it's in the shape described, did in fact experience the level of service described, and is complete (see below)?

2. I'm, of course, going to want to crawl under the hood and check it out before committing to purchase. In terms of things to check, what would you look at? I thought these seemed reasonable:
    - ensure blade guard and splitter are present
    - check if miter guage is included
    - check if regular and dado throat plates are included
    - check if blade wrench is included
    - visually inspect the trunnions for wear/damage
    - raise & lower the blade through its full range
    - angle the blade through its full range
    - test the mobile base for proper operation
    - test the ripfence's lock at front of saw and back of saw
    - check the tabletop for flatness (I'll bring my 50" straightedge)
    - check the arbor for runout (I'll bring my dial indicator & stand)
    - ask the seller to run a cut

Would these things seem reasonable to you if I was to roll up and kick the tires of a saw you were selling? Is there anything you'd suggest adding to this list? Lastly, if it turns out there are things that are deficient, or the saw isn't in the condition described, what would you say would be reasonable amounts to propose the price be decreased by?

----------
    Thanks,
    Roland

Hi Roland and welcome to the forum.

Re: the price of the saw - I've seen this saw on sale at HD at least twice in the last year or so for around $450. If you look around, you can also find coupons for 10% off and deferral plans for 1 year payments. So, I would say that $500 is too high - depending how long you want to wait to buy a saw.

Hope this helps.

Max

Real Name
    David

I bought mine for $550 taxes in, if that helps any.
    I find it to be a great saw...Check the mobile base though and make sure it's fully operational.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David in Mississauga View Post
    I bought mine for $550 taxes in, if that helps any.
    I find it to be a great saw...Check the mobile base though and make sure it's fully operational.
    By 'taxes in' I take it you bought it new?

I was fortunate to purchase mine at full price! I really like the saw and have no complaints. I've never seen it as low as $450 but I have seen it at $550.

I don't think that $500 is too outrageous price to pay for a well maintained contractor saw. I've seen some much older more abused contractor saws out there where the seller wants $350 or more for theirs.

Sugarbush near Horeseshoe Valley, Ontario
    Real Name
    Don

Smile TS Options

Quote Originally Posted by Peter in Maple Ridge View Post
    I was fortunate to purchase mine at full price! I really like the saw and have no complaints. I've never seen it as low as $450 but I have seen it at $550.

I don't think that $500 is too outrageous price to pay for a well maintained contractor saw. I've seen some much older more abused contractor saws out there where the seller wants $350 or more for theirs.
    Well, I am one who recently sold my Ryobi 3000 about 14 years old, new belts, excellent shape from the technical side with extra table options and router fence for $350...I was the 2nd owner.

With anticipation growing, I am picking up my new King CCX at $745 tomorrow.
    CHEERS
    Don B

Quote Originally Posted by Peter in Maple Ridge View Post
    Last spring they had the contractor saw and portable saw on for $450 each. I bought one of each (contractor for my BIL) and portable for myself (which I returned). I had a BOGO card that gets 10% off (fundraiser in Sudbury) and with taxes, each saw came to around $460. I think at the time, they had the contractor on for $599, then had a one or two week 25% off sale.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max In Sudbury View Post
    Last spring they had the contractor saw and portable saw on for $450 each. I bought one of each (contractor for my BIL) and portable for myself (which I returned). I had a BOGO card that gets 10% off (fundraiser in Sudbury) and with taxes, each saw came to around $460. I think at the time, they had the contractor on for $599, then had a one or two week 25% off sale.

Max
    Max you lucky skunk....I paid $799 3 years ago if my memory serves me correct.

I informed my father-in-law about the sale on this saw last year, $599 price with additional 20% off making it $480 plus taxes. Sale was basically on the Victoria Day weekend.

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/f...ad.php?t=16846

Who knows, it may go on sale again this spring.

I'd first check the gear teeth of the lowering/raising mechanisim,
    that's where I've seen the most obvious wear on saws I've had.
    A new one will have square tops on the teeth, they usually
    wear to a sharp point fairly quickly.
    If a saw is said to be new, this is a dead give-away.

Roland:

Your profile does not include where you are located. Let us know where you are (I have an ulterior motive)

Greg

There you go, Greg. Forgot to put that in.