FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Shipping via courier air

Default Shipping via courier air

I have been searching around for a VFD and the prices are very attractive in the US compared to Canada....maybe I am look in the wrong place. I do not purchase from the US unless they ship via USPS. The company with the AC Drive I am looking at only ships UPS. The rep suggested I use UPS air to avoid some of the courier charges. Has anyone used a courier air service and avoided the crazy courier charges?

In my past experience, UPS will charge you an exorbitant "border brokerage" fee to bring the parcel over the border. Like you, I will only order from the US if the vendor agrees to ship via USPS. I've not had a problem with getting a vendor to ship USPS if I specifically ask for it. If you must agree to shipping by UPS, be sure to contact UPS first and find out what they are going to charge you for brokerage fees - you may find that it is not such a great deal after you add those costs.
    Steve
    Richmond, BC

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

At one time if you used UPS air service the brokerage fees were included in the price. Best to check the UPS website to be sure if this is still the case.

Real Name
    Mark Rose

Quote Originally Posted by akabek View Post
    I have been searching around for a VFD and the prices are very attractive in the US compared to Canada....maybe I am look in the wrong place. I do not purchase from the US unless they ship via USPS. The company with the AC Drive I am looking at only ships UPS. The rep suggested I use UPS air to avoid some of the courier charges. Has anyone used a courier air service and avoided the crazy courier charges?
    akabek,
    I bought a larger rebuilt 15hp VDF from a guy in the Waterloo area. I would have to look to find his info. It was a very good deal at $400 for this size. You have to down the rating some what if you go from single to 3 phase. There is lots to learn but they sure are a fun toy.
    Cheers, Mark

Mark, I bought a Teco/Westinghouse VFD for $167US. It supports a 1HP motor with 115v 1PH input to 230v 3PH motor....with lots of functionality. It will be fun to play with. Now I just need to find a 1HP 3PH 230v motor with inverter...not sure if there are many used ones around.
    Last edited by akabek; 01-12-2008 at 01:10 AM.

Mark, I bought a Teco/Westinghouse VFD for $167US. It supports a 1HP motor with 115v 1PH input to 230v 3PH motor....with lots of funcationality. It will be fun to play with. Now I just need to find a 1HP 3PH 230v motor with inverter...not sure if there are many used ones around. Locally these drive were double and up.

Real Name
    Mark Rose

akabek, So your VDF does not have a built in inverter? Are you trying to get from DC back to AC? I am sure I have a 1hp 3phase 208/22OV if you want it but I would need to double check.
    Cheers, Mark

What size VFD are you looking for? Machine, HP, voltage?

Thanks,

David

I bought the VFD from a company in the US called dealerselectric dot com for $167US...It is the Teco EV Micro Drive model JNEV-101-H1, 115V 1-PHASE INPUT/3-PHASE 220V OUTPUT. Based on my conversations with electric motor suppliers I need a 1HP 3PH 220v TFEC motor that supports a variable speed control....it needs to have an inverter rating.

I have purchased a Clearvue cyclone and a Minimax bandsaw from the US but I arranged to use my own customs broker. On the bandsaw I paid $69 customs and for the cyclone about $56 plus GSTor HST. I know that the brokerage fee on the bandsaw was to be $150 with the trucking company used by Minimax USA. Check in your phone book for local customs brokers and you will find they will have better rates than the larger shipping agencies. They are dealing with all of these big shippers everyday. My customs broker has been in business for over 80 years PF Collins. They also have offices in Halifax and Calgary. I do not worry about who is sending the tool but I do tell them to use my customs broker. The only exceptions to this would be on lower priced goods because they have to do work and the charge would be about $25 + GST/HST. For these lower priced goods have them use USPS to Canada Post and the fee is about $5. Your local broker will give you a list of their fees and they will be based on value of goods in $CAN. On goods not made in the US you will be charged duty. I have included the website for anyone interested but I am not associated with PF Collins just a satisfied customer.

http://www.pfcollins.com/AboutUs.htm

Hope this helps...

Marty

Default Broker in Dartmouth

Just had a tel conv with a chap @ P.F. Collins in Dartmouth and he is sending me some info re procedure and fees.....will wait and see what happens....J

Default Self clearing to avoid brokerage fees

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Richmond View Post
    In my past experience, UPS will charge you an exorbitant "border brokerage" fee to bring the parcel over the border. Like you, I will only order from the US if the vendor agrees to ship via USPS. I've not had a problem with getting a vendor to ship USPS if I specifically ask for it. If you must agree to shipping by UPS, be sure to contact UPS first and find out what they are going to charge you for brokerage fees - you may find that it is not such a great deal after you add those costs.
    Some companies refuse to use USPS. I ordered a furnace part from the US and Fedex left it at the door with no bill. A couple of weeks later I received an invoice for $6.34 for tax +$19 brokerage fee and $0.95 tax on the brokerage fee.

Fedex told me that I could self clear the tax and they would cancel the invoice. They emailed me a what they call a commercial invoice which I took in to the Border services agency in Ottawa and paid my $6.34. Border Services gave me a B15 form which I will email to Fedex who will then cancel their bill for $26.82.

The process is called self clearing and I could have also done it by telling the sender to write self clearing on his Fedex document but would the delivery be heldup until I sent the B15 in??

Border services calculated the tax due based on the historical exchange rate and saved me another $0.48.

Bryan
    Last edited by BryanP; 02-05-2008 at 10:03 PM.