FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Our Old Kitchen Table has a New Life in My Shop

Default Our Old Kitchen Table has a New Life in My Shop

For the last couple of weeks we have been renovating our kitchen –mostly with new counter tops, a new sink, new taps, and a refinished floor.
    Here is a picture of the old breakfast table:

Old table in kitchen -2 -small.JPG

This is a heavy (87 pounds) and well built Formica table top. I certainly could not bring myself to throw it out. Margaret and I discussed several potential uses for it both here, at camp, and at our children’s houses. Three days ago, I figured out a way to use it in my shop. The shop is very very crowded but, if I could find a place to fold it up and down, the table would come in quite handy.
    Because of the weight, I needed strong legs but the legs should not take up much space. A pair of these these cast iron legs from Lee Valley (catalogue # 05K48.01) seemed to meet both requirements:

Cast Iron Legs -small.JPG

The leg on the right is upside down showing the bottom pad with a threaded 3/8 “ hole in the middle. I made wide bases out of oak scraps and attached them to the bottoms of both legs. I attached each leg to the wall studs with a single lag bolt. The table is attached to the wall with two strap hinges
    Here is picture of the table in the folded up position (held up by two rotating wooden doohickeys made out of scrap):

Shop Table folded up -small.JPG

And here it is folded down:

Shop Table folded down -small.JPG

I like the position right in front of the window and I am sure that the table will be used A LOT.
    Cheers,
    Frank

That's a great idea. Now, lets see if you can resist the urge to start accumulating "things" on that open table?
    Did you get the pie as well as the table... I hope so!

Rick, I know that there will be big temptation to pile stuff on the table, but it has to be in the raised position for access to some things, so that should help to keep me from doing so. Or, at least, it will mean that I have to remove the accumulated pile from time to time.

My sister-in-law, Gail, made that pie dish about 30 years ago and it has been in our kitchens (in three countries and 5 houses) ever since. It is now exactly where you see it in the photo, except there is a new table-top underneath it.
    Cheers,
    Frank

We discovered today that the table is great for children's projects. Ethan (my 5.5 year old grandson) spent most of this morning with me in the shop. He made a boat, a dock for the boat, and a wooden valentine "card" and he did all of the planning, assembly and painting at the table. Here he is painting the boat:

Ethan painting the boat that he made small.JPG
    Cheers,
    Frank