FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: "yikes"

Default "yikes"

Hi guys. I have just finished reading "Stilted Cabinet" by Chris in Pickering It's going to be a "best seller" I thought I would put some humor in here.

Although I have only been here for 4 months or so I was a little taken back by one post. I have been a member of another forum for quite a few years and sometimes they can get pretty heated by egos etc.

Being at a point in life where I can look back instead of ahead; all I can say is that the quality of work--the intelligence of the replies and the willingness of others to help is quite remarkable. As one post said "from beginners to master". I hope thats the last (----)

In my humble opinion I think this is one of the best forums on the subject around.

Unknownly, remarks like that made at the wrong times can really turn an individual off an otherwise rewarding venture.
    "Born 50 years too late"

Although I have only been here for 4 months or so I was a little taken back by one post. I have been a member of another forum for quite a few years and sometimes they can get pretty heated by egos etc.
    Let's just say I'm familiar with that "other" forum and that rarely happens here.

The "one" post was offered as constructive criticism and was Valid for no other reason than it was the posters personal opinion.

I surely wouldn't be here if we had to be so politically correct that we can't discuss alternative choices in design, joinery, material choice, etc.

This isn't an attack against you, it's just My personal opinion

all I can say is that the quality of work--the intelligence of the replies and the willingness of others to help is quite remarkable. As one post said "from beginners to master". I hope thats the last (----)

In my humble opinion I think this is one of the best forums on the subject around.
    I agree completely, we have a unique collection of individuals with the same obsession <very big grin>

And I'll take this opportunity to put in a plug for Brent taking care of us when we get out of line..

Unknownly, remarks like that made at the wrong times can really turn an individual off an otherwise rewarding venture.
    This last comment of yours is VERY important and bears some discussion.

I always try to keep in mind how my comments can or will be perceived by a relative new comer to our craft. Sometimes the truth can be painful but hopefully it can also be encouraging.

The printed word can be an easily misunderstood medium, for instance, I missed/didn't understand the humor in your post?

Stepping off my soap box now,

Cheers, Don.

My Mom used to say if you donít have anything good to say, say nothing. Unfortunately this old adage is not applied often enough. Constructive comments or opinions not withstanding.

Greg

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I really respect your empathy here, I really do, but I'm not sure this works very well.

You don't identify the post in question, so it's hard to know what exactly you're talking about, or why you were taken aback. All we can do, really, is speculate and conjecture, and I've got to be honest I'm not sure how helpful that kind of conversation is.
    (and if it's the post I think it is, then it's notable that both the moderator and the original poster, Chris in Pickering, have both already voiced their approval of that post as constructive criticism)

On the other hand, though, for you to identify the post would not be a good idea either, since those are the types of things that are left for mods to deal with, (i.e. you simply report the post and if it is offensive, the mod will delete it, but if the mod doesn't, well you can't very well start a thread questioning that decision).

All told, while I do sympathise with the empathy that led you to start this thread, I'm not sure I would have done the same.

Quote Originally Posted by callee View Post
    All told, while I do sympathise with the empathy that led you to start this thread, I'm not sure I would have done the same.
    Hi callee,

I have no problem at all with big mac starting the thread. I just don't have any clue what he's talking about. Is he concerned that someone had the nerve to offer constructive criticism (eg. the "boxy look")? Or is he concerned that someone else (not Chris) took exception to that constructive criticism?

Without clarity on that, I'm not sure the thread is helpful ... mostly just confusing. I don't get it.

...ken...

Hi fellas--I went back and re-read the thread----I guess I was "miffed" that really anything "slightly" negative was said. I thought and still think the piece is a piece of art and the workmanship is superb---I didn't mean to censor or anything---maybe I just didn't see anything to criticize and was surprised that some did---sorry if I confused anyone
    "Born 50 years too late"

Its an interesting point thats being raised here.

I, for one, welcome constructive criticism. I suppose in many ways it depends on why you post pictures of your own projects. I do it for two reasons; I'm proud of my work and also to engage other users to comment with their feedback. If it was just show and tell, I could put it in a thread and lock it but there's no fun in that.

It would be a pity if only nice things could be said because that loses its value pretty quickly and there will always be folk around who can think of a more appealing or better way of doing stuff and I would like to hear that. Clearly that needs to be phrased in a polite way and often more carefully than if spoken because the lack of tone allows for easy misinterpretation.

For the record I think that the post in question was politely phrased - and indeed responded to by the OP in the same pleasant manner.
    Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'

When one really thinks about it, is there really any such thing as "constructive" criticism. It seems to me the person giving the criticism is usually the only one who really thinks it is constructive. Why not simply call it suggestions, or opinions, or critique or ---??. If we put feathers on a mouse it is still a mouse.
    Just rambling here. Very good site.