FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Does anyone know anything about the Rockwell Model 6 Jointer?

1. Default Does anyone know anything about the Rockwell Model 6 Jointer?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a used jointer and have come across several Rockwell Model 6's. I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

Al
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sugarbush near Horeseshoe Valley, Ontario
    Real Name
    Don

I bought a 1980's.... version in December and love it.
    I have more info on my other computer which I will not be back to until Thursday. It is solid, accurate and basic structure so easy to understand.
    If you follow Don's Garage 2008, you will see it reappear in a couple of weeks. Right now it is covered in B9 to prevent rust buildup. I will give it a good cleaning in the spring.
    http://www.acetoolrepair.com/PorterC...ateJoiners.htm

Try this site for info.
    Use google, you will find much info also.
    What is your model #?
    How much do they want? $ 200 to 300 would be normal for good condition.
    CHEERS
    Don B

Real Name
    Don

Mine is a Rockwell Beaver(built in Guelph) which was pre to Rockwell alone.
    CHEERS
    Don B

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Toronto View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a used jointer and have come across several Rockwell Model 6's. I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

Al
    Hi Al; try this link as well. These guys know more about old wood working machines than you and I will ever know.
    http://www.owwm.org/ I should have said than I will ever know. They were very helpful to me when I got my Delta/Rockwell lathe.
    Mack C. in Brooklin (Whitby) ON
    It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact,
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-o...95203433854962

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Don of Sugarbush View Post
    I bought a 1980's.... version in December and love it.
    I have more info on my other computer which I will not be back to until Thursday. It is solid, accurate and basic structure so easy to understand.
    If you follow Don's Garage 2008, you will see it reappear in a couple of weeks. Right now it is covered in B9 to prevent rust buildup. I will give it a good cleaning in the spring.
    http://www.acetoolrepair.com/PorterC...ateJoiners.htm

Try this site for info.
    Use google, you will find much info also.
    What is your model #?
    How much do they want? $ 200 to 300 would be normal for good condition.

Hi Don,

I've seen an add on Kijiji listing what looks like one without the stand for $150 and others with the stand for up to $250. Looks like a nice machine. Thanks for the link, I've added it to my bookmarks in case I find another model I wish to research.

Regards,

Al

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mack C. in Brooklin ON View Post
    Hi Al; try this link as well. These guys know more about old wood working machines than you and I will ever know.
    http://www.owwm.org/ I should have said than I will ever know. They were very helpful to me when I got my Delta/Rockwell lathe.
    Hi Mac,

I think your assumption is correct...more than I'll ever know...I've posted a message on there and am waiting for responses.

Regards,

Al

Real Name
    Don

Default Rockell Beaver 48600

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Toronto View Post
    Hi Don,

I've seen an add on Kijiji listing what looks like one without the stand for $150 and others with the stand for up to $250. Looks like a nice machine. Thanks for the link, I've added it to my bookmarks in case I find another model I wish to research.

Regards,

Al
    I bought mine from Ford's Machinery in Richmond Hill. They were good if you can get over the pasive I know all attitude. It was $225 plus the cost of Sharco blades I had them put on.
    CHEERS
    Don B

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Don of Sugarbush View Post
    I bought mine from Ford's Machinery in Richmond Hill. They were good if you can get over the pasive I know all attitude. It was $225 plus the cost of Sharco blades I had them put on.

Hi Don,

That jointer looks more substantial than the ones I've been seeing. Yours looks like it has a cast iron fence vs. cast aluminum. I think Ed in Leaside has that jointer as well.

I'll probably hold out for one that has more iron.

Cheers,

Al

Yup, same one here Al. IIRC $225 in '03 or'04. As I've said before, any time you need to joint something, toss it in your van and bring it back when you're done.

Real Name
    Don

Hi Al
    Ford Machinery had another one there that was identical but with a wooden cabinet stand.
    You might want to take a look.
    By the way, I just checked my invoice and I negotiated $275 cleaned, adjusted and paid to have them put in new blades. Also bought the blade alignment tool (used when changing blades)
    PM if you wish more info.
    CHEERS
    Don B

Hi Al--I also have a Model 6---very similar to Don's picture---all cast iron base etc---originally sold at CTC years ago. I am pretty sure the one that you have pictured has a pressed metal body. If you find one of the heavier ones like Dons you should be OK---I paid 200.00 for mine.
    "Born 50 years too late"

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in Leaside View Post
    Yup, same one here Al. IIRC $225 in '03 or'04. As I've said before, any time you need to joint something, toss it in your van and bring it back when you're done.

Hey Ed,

How goes it? Trust me on this: as slow as I work, if I put your jointer in my van....it would be a couple of years before you saw that jointer again ...but I'm guessing I wouldn't get away with that

We'll see what the hunt turns up.

Cheers,

Al

With the amount of fl@t work I do, I probably wouldn't notice it was missing ... until I needed to face off some glue blocks for the lathe. :lol: