FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Boxwood Handled Record/Marples Chisels

Default Boxwood Handled Record/Marples Chisels

Picked up a set at LV on the weekend. I've been trying to find some info on them with not much luck. Does anybody know if the steel is the same as their bluechips?
    Also, am I right in assuming that since they lack hoops, they are not for striking?

Nah, they are made for striking--just don't use a metal hammer. Wood or leather mallets only. Hoops on the striking end are made for metal hammers and most Western-type chisels with them and do not cost two arms and a leg have such flimsy hoops they are near worthless for the "intended" use.

My main set of a dozen firmer chisels are 100+ years old, have boxwood handles, and with the exception of a couple that I filled cracks with epoxy, the handles have held up wonderfully given the amount of use they've had past and present.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
    Picked up a set at LV on the weekend. I've been trying to find some info on them with not much luck. Does anybody know if the steel is the same as their bluechips?
    Also, am I right in assuming that since they lack hoops, they are not for striking?

I will trade a set of the blue chips for those! Still in packaging..

Chris

Thanks for the info, Mike.

Actually Chris, I will be looking for a set bluechips so that I can get a firsthand comparison of the steel.
    I have heard that the Record/Marples were better than Irwin/Marples, but I don't know if that is true or not.