This post is for Brian so he'll quit harrassing me. I made this over a year ago but never posted a picture. In fact I never even took a picture. This box annoyed me so much that I hated it when I finally got it finished. It's impossible to tell from looking at it how much work and frustration it took to get it done. When you do that much work you really expect a lot more than this one.
But I'm slowly getting over it. So today I finally took a picture for Brian. It's a piece of birch burl that I got from him my first trip up there.
Walnut handles and Minwax gloss wipe-on poly.
J.P. this is the piece I was whining about in the other thread. Here's a picture from the back to give you an idea of some of the finishing headaches I had to deal with. Sorry the pic is a little dark, but the trouble spots didn't show up very well in the lighter picture. Those dark areas look like a bit of spalting. They don't show up like this normally and they didn't cause much trouble. But they do give an idea of the orientation of the splits and checks I had to fill. In many cases you can see them running a bit below some of the really dark spots. Sometimes they look like an extension of these.
It's just loaded with splits and checks that didn't start until after I cut out the drawers. After that it seemed like there would never be an end to them. I would get some filled and sanded and about the time I got that done there would be another mess of them show up. Never again!!