FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new triton dowelling machine

Default new triton dowelling machine

I was going to Busy Bee to buy the triton biscuit joiner, I decided to do a little more research and read the manual online and that's when I saw a new product.

Double Dowelling Machine
    Available Sept/08

http://www.tritonwoodworking.com/ddowlingmachine.htm

It looks like a biscuit joiner, except with two drills instead of a cutter.

Dowel joints provide increased strength over biscuit joining where durability or weight is of consideration and thus suitable for:
    Furniture building.
    Wooden toys.
    Construction.
    Wooden feature gates.
    Wooden doors and cabinets.

Features

Efficient 4.5 Amp motor ample power for all wood species.
    Covers the most common sized dowels for woodworking projects.
    Adjustable drilling depth allows for use in various lumber sizes.
    Fence adjustment allows for precise drilling angle adjustment to match the angle of the join.
    Rack & Pinion adjustment ensures a smooth and accurate adjustment of the fence height.
    Magnesium construction for superior strength, lighter weight and durability.

Standard Equipment

15/64, 5/16 & 3/8 drill Bits
    1 x Dust Bag Adaptor
    1 x Allen Key (bit locking)
    1 x Brush Set (spare)
    1 x Kit BoxTypical

Looks interesting. I think I would find that much more useful than a biscuit joiner myself.....

Cheers

Michael

Default Triton

Excellent tool for putting together face frames for cabinets. I am sure there will be a flood of Dowel Max's for sale once that arrives in the stores. Interesting in that the link shows the dealer cost and retail.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

I am looking forward to someone writing up a comparison between this and Festool's Domino.
    Cheers,
    Frank

There will be a whole bunch of these type of machines coming out soon I'm sure. As soon as I saw the Domino I figured it would not take long to have similiarly competing products. I like the idea of a dowel vs the Domino since it does not lock you into one brand for supplies.
    Paul

I doubt that this would work as a direct replacement for the Dowelmax. In my opinion, the dowelmax is far more versatile because it is small and can be used with a tiny drill making it far more useful in situations where the triton would not fit. Drilling shelf pin holes with the triton looks to be difficult while I use the DM for it all the time. Dowelmax is cordless (when used with the cordless drill we all have).

I suspect that the triton will be faster in certain production situations than the DM, but not all.

I certainly see the bottom falling out of the Biscuit Joiner market as soon as a few more companies bring models like this to market. Dowels beat biscuits every time.

Cheers

Michael

Default Dowell Max vs triton

Michael... My dowel max vs Triton comment was made in Jest and was aimed at Mack but he didn't bite. All these tool have specific uses and I would break that down one step farther as I find that even the different styles of biscuit joiners have specific uses that makes one better than the other. Thats my story and I am sticking to it and it was the one that my wife believed when she asked why I need 4 biscuit joiners.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

[quote=Brian @ Muir;168079]Michael...
    My dowel max vs Triton comment was made in Jest and was aimed at Mack but he didn't bite.
    Hi Brian; I read it and thought well that's his opinion. I also thought a guy as savvy as you must have been in the sauce to think like that, so I gave you the benefit of the doubt. My opinion to myself, was history will prove him wrong. I must have been tired when I read it.

Now I'm really happy to know you were just joking.
    Mack C. in Brooklin (Whitby) ON
    It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact,
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-o...95203433854962

Quote Originally Posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
    Michael... My dowel max vs Triton comment was made in Jest and was aimed at Mack but he didn't bite. All these tool have specific uses and I would break that down one step farther as I find that even the different styles of biscuit joiners have specific uses that makes one better than the other. Thats my story and I am sticking to it and it was the one that my wife believed when she asked why I need 4 biscuit joiners.

Brian
    I suppose I shouldn't read the forum over my first coffee of the day......

You are right about the tools being specific to a task even within the same category. My wife knows better than to ask "if" I need another variation of the same thing and now simply asks "and where do you think you'll find room for that?"

Cheers

Michael

Real Name
    Ryan

I don't know, I had a real honeymoon with my biscuit joiner, but then I bought a freud tongue & groove router bit set, and so far I can't imagine many situations where I would use a biscuit joiner where it wouldn't be just as easy if not easier and certainly stronger just to quick run them through the router table, putting a tongue on one piece, a groove on the other, and then glue 'em up. At the moment, I'm a real convert to T&G joinery.

You have to believe that this tool (if decently built) will sell like hot cakes @ $179.00.
    A nice option if the Domino has been out of your price range.
    Don (Scarborough)

Dogguides Canada: Our dogs are more than our friends.
    Vision Assist, Hearing Assist, Special Skills

Quote Originally Posted by Michael in Port Alberni View Post
    I
    I certainly see the bottom falling out of the Biscuit Joiner market as soon as a few more companies bring models like this to market. Dowels beat biscuits every time.
    I never did really get the biscuit joint hype. Remember back when WW mags were full of biscuit joint only designs.....hmmmm, wonder where they have gone??
    Paul

Triton didnt re-invent the wheel. This product has been available for a while...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97427

A poor mans Domino

Unhappy Re: new triton dowelling machine

this is not on the topic of the dowelling machince but on triton tools in general. Is there a dealer in canada at all. I have a mark 3 and would like to purchase more compents for this.as well as some ofther products.I just stumbled on to this site. Getting frustrated in finding out what I need
    sj

Blog Entries

Default Re: new triton dowelling machine

Quote Originally Posted by callee View Post
    I don't know, I had a real honeymoon with my biscuit joiner, but then I bought a freud tongue & groove router bit set, and so far I can't imagine many situations where I would use a biscuit joiner where it wouldn't be just as easy if not easier and certainly stronger just to quick run them through the router table, putting a tongue on one piece, a groove on the other, and then glue 'em up. At the moment, I'm a real convert to T&G joinery.
    Being lazier than you I've converted to grooves and spline joinery. Works great without a router table, needs only the first bit that you posted the pic, and it's impossible to misalign the grooves

lazy nap.

One of the big advantages of the Dowelmax is the ability to space dowels accurately along a long board. My longest was 11ft with dowels every foot, and they all lined up. I haven't been able to look at the Triton- the link doesn't bring it up - shows all their other tools - unless I am doing something wrong, but it may not have that capability.

Glenn

Glenn,

The original thread is nearly a year and a half old. The link might be long gone.

Real Name
    Steve Morris

funny, three years later, and doweling machines like the triton are still not flying off the shelves!! and my biscuit joiners are sitting around gathering dust.

my dowelmax gets used everyday, i even take one on job sites regularly(i put door jamb/headers together with it)
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

I waited a long time to get my porter cable 557, but after a year I still haven't used it. I even purposely went out of my way to use it for face framing but just ended up gluing it. Bad purchase for me. I wonder if I should sell or keep it. I have a dowelmax and a mortise pal. For edge banding I always just glue it.
    Why do people keep calling me Rob?