FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Work for the Kitchen

Default Some Work for the Kitchen

We are having some new Kitchen Cabinets installed in August and I decided we needed a personal touch since I am not building the cabinets myself. There are several spots I will be adding appliqué to the panels and also needed a couple of corbels. The cabinets will be solid walnut so of course the appliqué and corbels had to be walnut.

Attached are a couple of pictures showing my progress. I have until August to finish so I must keep my nose to the grinder so to speak. I have 5 more pieces to make.

There is no finish on them so they look a bit dry. The cabinet shop will be doing the stain and finish to match the cabinets.

Hope you like them?
    Corbels01.jpg

CorbelAndApplique01.jpg
    E.G.
    Last edited by Edward G. Burlington; 07-02-2008 at 01:52 AM.
    You stop learning the instant you start talking...
    And start again when you stop thinking how smart you are.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Some Work for the Kitchen

Did you make the leaf florets yourself or where they pre made. If you made them yourself, you deserve one of the biggest "You Suck's" that there's ever been.
    Kevin

Edward

Beautiful work as always. Those will add a nice personal touch to what I'm sure will be a spectacular kitchen.
    BTW nice to see you back. I was just wondering the other day where you'd gone.

Blaine
    "Congratulations. You've just figured out the most complicated way to hold a board 30 inches off the floor."
    Tage Frid

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    Did you make the leaf florets yourself or where they pre made. If you made them yourself, you deserve one of the biggest "You Suck's" that there's ever been.
    I do my own carving using the method outlined in the mini tutorial below.
    http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ad.php?t=12502

It is very time consuming but it is the best way to get completely unique and quality results. After viewing the many factory and hand made offerings I was motivated to make the effort to come up with a custom design.

I was surprized to discover the hand made versions of this complexity and size cost $1000.00 a pair and the cabinet maker gave me a credit to match. The corbels are 18 inches high and the applique is 38 inches long. The other pieces I am making are 48 inches long. I will attach a picture when they are done.

Thanks for your comments.

E.G.

Real Name
    J.P.

WOW!!! Absolutely gorgeous. What colour are you going to paint them.
    Now I know why you haven't been around much.
    You have way more patience then I do. I would build the doors and buy the appliqués/corbels.

Edit. OK, after seeing the price, I get it now.
    Last edited by J.P. Rap; 07-02-2008 at 10:40 AM.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Amazing as always! very very nice Ed!
    Carving something I haven't dared to try yet, but I might sometime.
    Again, wow....

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine in Kitchener View Post
    Edward

Beautiful work as always. Those will add a nice personal touch to what I'm sure will be a spectacular kitchen.
    BTW nice to see you back. I was just wondering the other day where you'd gone.

Blaine
    Thanks Blain. I think I need a bit of a rest, I was feeling a bit burned out and somewhat unnecessary. I was beginning to notice that several new members were getting the very competent help from others by the time I got to the new threads. Things have been crazy at the office this entire year and I have been too tired to sit down at night and surf the forum.

I hope by the fall I will be caught up on my projects and have more time. In the mean time I will try to make a few more showings on the forum.

Thanks again for your comments.

E.G.
    Last edited by Edward G. Burlington; 07-02-2008 at 10:47 AM.

I have seen them for sale at Wal-Mart, the bed sheets that is! Truly amazing work. I wish I had talent to draw like that, and carve! Ed!

hobby woodworking since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. Rap View Post
    WOW!!! Absolutely gorgeous. What color are you going to paint them.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.P. Rap View Post

Now I know why you haven't been around much.

You have way more patience then I do. I would build the doors and buy the appliqués/corbels.

Edit. OK, after seeing the price, I get it now.

J.P. Thanks for the comment! I considered making the doors as well, but when the design was done and the door count came in at 122 I decided I had enough experience making raised panel doors.

I did make one frame for the fridge to match the profile of cabinet doors however.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza View Post
    Amazing as always! very very nice Ed!

Carving something I haven't dared to try yet, but I might sometime.

Again, wow....
    Based on what I have seen you do, you should buy some tools and give it a try. Adding carvings to your projects would be a great addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan @ Woodstock View Post
    I have seen them for sale at Wal-Mart, the bed sheets that is! Truly amazing work. I wish I had talent to draw like that, and carve! Ed!

Bryan: I seldom draw my own but rather make up my own layout from tracings from the many books I have. It is just so much faster that way. Also a copier makes creating mirror images so much easier.

Thanks for you comment.

E.G.

Ed you had mentioned these to me when we were chatting at the Guild. I wondered what sort of designs you were doing and how many jigs you were using but I never even came close to imagining anything like these You're attention to detail is incredible and I've always thought the details on any project are what counts so the kitchen makeover is going to be fantastic $1k is cheap when you consider the cost of the carving tools and all those meticulous hours slaving away in your shack Maybe you could have contracted them out to China
    Another Edward G "howdedodat so well"

I have a question Ed.

Are those leaves on the brackets built separately and then glued on? I find it very difficult to make them as well as the form they are attached to from one piece. Also, is the base of the brackets from two separate pieces to which the curved piece is attached?

Edward,

Those look amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete in Welland View Post
    Ed you had mentioned these to me when we were chatting at the Guild. I wondered what sort of designs you were doing and how many jigs you were using but I never even came close to imagining anything like these
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete in Welland View Post
    You're attention to detail is incredible and I've always thought the details on any project are what counts so the kitchen makeover is going to be fantastic$1k is cheap when you consider the cost of the carving tools and all those meticulous hours slaving away in your shackMaybe you could have contracted them out to ChinaAnother Edward G "howdedodat so well"
    Thanks for your comments Pete! No Jigs were used for this project, just a lot of hand work, both chisels and rotary tools.

I have a question Ed. Are those leaves on the brackets built separately and then glued on? I find it very difficult to make them as well as the form they are attached to from one piece. Also, is the base of the brackets from two separate pieces to which the curved piece is attached?

I made these using the same method outlined in my mini-tutorial. I cut the material from the blank for the leaves using the waste so the contour matched. The carved pieces were glued on after carving each piece separately. The base and curved section are separate pieces.
    Thanks for you question, and be sure to ask anything else you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent in Mississauga View Post
    Edward,Those look amazing!!

Thanks Brent, Many hours of work but now that its all done I am glad I did it.

Attached is the last piece I am doing for now. When the installation is done there may be some additional opportunities to add some appliqué. The contractor is more than willing to stain and finish anything I want to add after the installation. He is quite excited about using the finished job in his portfolio.
    MantelDone01.jpg

MantelDone02.jpg

MantelDone03.jpg

E.G.
    Last edited by Edward G. Burlington; 07-08-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Edward,
    Amazing as usual!
    Donna,
    Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Ed - this is amazing work! You are truly incredible.
    Mike

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward G. Burlington View Post
    . Attached is the last piece I am doing for now.
    E.G.
    I don't know how I missed this update but I did.
    Very nice.
    After your explanation the other day, now I can see exactly what you mean. Now I'm eager to start carving that family crest. I'll have to bump it up on the list a bit.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Since I don't carve much I haven't been viewing this part of the forum, now I see just how much spectacular work I've missed seeing. Outstanding, thanks for letting us see it.

Larry

Wow. I'm impressed.

The only thing I would do differently: I wouldn't stain to match the cabinet. Work like this shouldbe showcased. I think I'd do it in a lighter wood, so that it would contrast to the walnut, and the shadows of the relief would show. I'm going to go read your tutorial right now.

very nice. Amazing talent. I really like seeing all your projects - each one a gem.
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

You guys realize that this thread is almost 4 yrs. old ??