FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Removing stains & scratches from teak

Default Removing stains & scratches from teak

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum and I am looking to try and refinish a pair of teak end tables. The bases of the tables are in good shape however, the table tops have some staining/watermarks and some scratches. I believe the table tops are teak veneer, rather than solid teak. This is my first attempt at refinishing anything, so I'm looking for some basic tips to help get me started.

I'm not sure if I need to strip off the old finish with a chemical stripper before I start or will sanding be sufficient? I'm also not sure what kind of product I should be using on the tables. I'm looking to keep the natural look of the teak wood rather than staining it a different colour. I've heard of teak oil products like Watco's Danish oil and Zinolin, but I'm not sure if they are the right thing to use for what I want to acheive.

Finally, the underside of one of the tables has a small chip in the teak veneer. I assuming there is no way to really seamlessly repair this, but I'm wondering if I could use a wood filler to fill the chip and sand it smooth to make the chip less noticeable. I'm open to any other suggestions, if you have any.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Removing stains & scratches from teak

Quote Originally Posted by Ecologica View Post
    the table tops have some staining/watermarks and some scratches. I believe the table tops are teak veneer

I'm looking to keep the natural look of the teak wood rather than staining it a different colour. I've heard of teak oil products like Watco's Danish oil and Zinolin, but I'm not sure if they are the right thing to use for what I want to acheive.

Finally, the underside of one of the tables has a small chip in the teak veneer. I assuming there is no way to really seamlessly repair this,
    I have successfully "repaired" similar damage many times by gently rubbing in some Zinolin with 0000 steel wool (with the grain), then wiping off the sludge and coating with fresh Zinolin. This works if the damage is light.
    The chip in the veneer is better repaired IMHO by using wax sticks. Get two or three that are close to the main colours of the wood, take a proportionate amount of each to match the colour distribution of that area, warm up slightly and blend lightly together in your fingers, apply with a credit card, take off excess and you're done.
    Good luck................Paul

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a project I can manage. Do you know where I can buy Zinolin in Toronto? Is there a chain store that you know of that carries it? Also IMHO mean? Sorry, new to all things woodworking

Real Name
    J.P.

Welcome to the forum.
    IMHO = "In My Humble Opinion"
    What kind of "stains" are we talking about?
    was something spilled on the table? Is it stains in the finish or in the wood?
    How deep are the scratches? If they are deep scratches and thin veneer, you may not be able to sand them out.
    If we are talking about stains and scratches in the finish, follow the advice above and you should be good to go. Other wise, let us know and see what we can come up with.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

In my humble opinion... Gotcha I guess I'm new to web lingo as well

It looks like something was spilt on the wood, rather than the stain being in the wood. I can also see what appears to be crayon marks. Most of the scratches are very light, there is only one that looks deeper on the surface of one of the tables. I'm not opposed to having a few wear marks on the tables, but I'd like to get the majority out, if I can. Will the Zinolin darken the deeper scratch so it blends in better?

When applying Zinolin, do I have to prepare the surface at all (sand?)or just start in with the steel wool application of the product?