FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Steam Bending QSWO

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Default Steam Bending QSWO

i have to bend some qswo to create some pieces 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 with a 9 1/2 inch radius. My stock is dressed to 3/4 by 1 1/2 and a little over 4 feet long. The bent pieces will be laminated to create the 1 1/2 material

I will be bending the first piece around a form followed by the second piece wrapped over the first and glueing them together at some point.

I assume that hot wet wood will not glue properly, am i correct? and if so when should they be glued up?

I have the Lee Valley bending setup and a heavy duty form and drying rack as per their instruction manual plus a kettle, hotplate and steam chamber of abs pipe.

Any hints, suggestions?
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Default Re: Steam Bending QSWO

That seems like a tight radius for a fairly heavy finished piece. Whatcha making?

I think the pieces may deform a bit--the outside face may not be flat after the bend. If so, this will interfere with gluing up the finished lamination.

Random thoughts:
    -make a few extra blanks in case one (some) break.
    -air-dried, riven stock has the best chance of success.
    -use a strap on the outside of the piece being bent. Attach a big handle to the strap to help pull it around.
    -get some extra clamps; and then a few more!

Is there some reason you don't want to go with a lamination of many thinner pieces?

Craig

If I read you right there are only 2 laminations in each. I don't think they will hold that shape for very long, plus that's a pretty tight radius. I would use 1/2" stock in 3 laminations. You have to leave the pieces in the jig until they are completely cold and then glue them. Also take into account there will be a certain amount of spring back when they are released so always over bend a slight amount. You will also find it a lot easier to bend green unseasoned wood than dry straight from the box store.
    Also it is usual to use steam bending to eliminate laminating so maybe some re-thinking is necessary. Just what is it you building? Give us some input

Real Name
    Steve Morris

thx for the input guys
    the lumber is qswo air dried to around 12 percent, not kiln dried and definitely not from a box store!! It is 1 1/8 in the rough and cleaned up to about 7/8 to 3/4 about 4 ft long and 1 1/2 wide so bending 1 1/2 square material is out of the question

the pieces i'm making are u-shaped bases for arts and crafts style dining chairs, never seen a chair like it but thats what the client wants and its his wood
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Maybe post a pic of the chair and alternatives may be suggested other than a tricky bend. Pretty tough to beat a simple lamination and good 'ol epoxy.
    Paul

Steve,

I've steam bend a number of pieces to tighter radii than 9" and they were 2" square cherry. I would use 1 piece vice 2 pieces laminated together. There will be some distortion in the bending process and it is unlikely that you would get the two pieces together with acceptable results. Give a test piece a try. It will need a couple of hours (dont over steam) to get the lignin bonds to break.

good luck

Adam