Actually I guess it's been quite a bit over a year since I was asked to make this base. I kept putting it off because I knew it was a time consuming job. Just the setup alone took a couple of hours to ensure it was perfect. I did a couple more prototypes before turning the good one and found I had to make some changes to my jig. Then I finally mounted the Babinga. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous because I didn't have another Babinga blank and I didn't want to screw it up. Also, someone mentioned Babinga probably wasn't a good choice for this project.
Anyway, I mounted it with chunks of maple for counter balance as before and turned the first side.
turning side one.jpg
I had to sharpen my tools a lot to ensure I didn't get any tear out. Once the first side was done, I was quite impressed with this wood. Hard, yes but it sure cut nice. The picture below is side one off the tool. I used a bowl gouge to rough the shape and cleaned it up with a honed scraper (no burr).
I started sanding with 240 for this side. I sanded each side to 400 before removing the blank from the jig. The second side didn't cut quite as nice and I started with 120 and again progressed to 400. Once I was done I wet sanded the whole thing with 400. The pictures below are the finished base still wet from wet sanding (no finish)