FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Table Saw Dust Collection - Above blade or under table

Real Name
    Ed

Default Table Saw Dust Collection - Above blade or under table

Hi all,

Just last night I enclosed my contractor table saw underneath to help keep dust from going all over the floor. Now I'm wondering about dust collection: should I connection the hose to the enclosed part under the saw or should I build (or buy) an overhead collector? Suggestions?

Thx
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try

Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Table Saw Dust Collection - Above blade or under table

Short answer is you want to collect it at both locations. However, if I could only do it at one, it would be underneath since way more sawdust collects underneath.

billh

Sugarbush near Horeseshoe Valley, Ontario
    Real Name
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    Short answer is you want to collect it at both locations. However, if I could only do it at one, it would be underneath since way more sawdust collects underneath.

billh
    I second the 2 spot take.
    I have a Shark Guard on my saw:

http://www.leestyron.com/default.php

It really works well and is a major improvement over my stock guard.
    CHEERS
    Don B

Real Name
    Steve

to add to that, install a sloping bottom in the enclosed box to slope toward the dust hose connection

Here's another item that may help you. http://store.thesawshop.com/catalogu...products_id=88
    It's called 'the boot' and it encloses the area between the saw and the motor extending out the back. They may be available at lots of stores, I don't know. Others who have tried this approach will hopefully tell you if it's worthwhile or not. I suppose it keeps some dust from escaping but maybe also helps for a bit of a seal to get some useful suction from the dc. When you get the big holes closed up, even taping the small ones over helps in this regard. I sealed all the joints inside my cab saw with aluminum adhesive-backed tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My 2 cents
    If you have enclosed the base then you must have dust collection of some sort on the bottom or your belt, blade, and everything will be plowing through a swamp of saw dust Best- is top and bottom, second- bottom, third- let her fly!
    Grillzy

Real Name
    Ed

Top and bottom it will probably be then.

I have built a homemade overhead dust collector. I'll just need to get some extra hose.

Thx for the 'the boot' info!. I had read an article about enclosing the back of the saw with some stiff cardboard but that boot idea is great.

Cheers
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try

Oshawa but for some it's a place close to their hearts!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Thom View Post
    Here's another item that may help you. http://store.thesawshop.com/catalogu...products_id=88
    It's called 'the boot' and it encloses the area between the saw and the motor extending out the back. They may be available at lots of stores, I don't know. Others who have tried this approach will hopefully tell you if it's worthwhile or not.
    Got it on my Delta and it works great. The splitter rear mount is a no-go though. I have the underneath capped with a collector from Busy Bee leading to a 4" outlet. No suction on it yet but it focus' the dust and debris dropping out so I placed a pail underneath that works okay. I ordered a SharkGuard last week so we'll see how that works in conjunction with the collector underneath. I also saw a tip in a mag about sealing up the tilt slot on the front of the saw using adhesive backed foam and splitting it to allow the height adjustment shaft to move along it's path when you tilt the blade.
    www.sppss.com
    "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" Sign outside our Pentecostal church.