FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: In Floor Receptacle

Default In Floor Receptacle

Is there anything in the electrical code that prevents installing an in-floor electrical outlet in a slab-on-grade foundation. I'm thinking of a PVC or brass fitting that gets cast into the concrete during construction. Just not certain if it's permitted. What say you electrical sorts?
    Donna,
    Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Default Re: In Floor Receptacle

I don't remember reading anything in the simplified electrical books indicating that you can't have one ... I have read people raising concerns about dust and especially liquid spills rolling into your electrical box ... but I guess you could always put it on a GFCI ... its would just be a messy cleanup job.

Hi Donna,

When I did an addition about 6 years back, the electrician indicated that you cannot put a plug in the floor (water issues I was told). I'm not sure if he was correct, but he also wasn't a very good electrician and I let him go after the first day of work.

When in doubt, call the ESA.

Max

Yup, it's done in commerical installations all the time.
    Mike

I have floor mounted receptacles in my shop. These receptacles are NOT wall type plugs laid in the floor - they are "domed" metal fittings, where the actual plugs are perpendicular to the floor, and slightly (maybe 1/2") raised from it. Spills are not a factor for these.

When planning their placement, be accurate - they need to be right next to the machine they service - or they constitute a tripping hazard (ask me how I know).

Good luck to you.

Blog Entries

I remember we had the types of recepticles that RH is referring to in my high school WW shop, and they were in concrete.

If you're contemplating this, how about in floor ducting for the DC?

I have to imagine though, that doing this may somewhat reduce the resale value of that room/building, as it makes it dedicated/customized for one use only. I wonder how easily it is reversible/removeable should the need arise for resale, or whether there's a way of installing that it can be plugged up without having to break concrete apart to remove the ground level protruding components, and simply pour concrete afterwards to fill/patch the holes?

You might want to call your building permits people in your municipality and run these things by them. Maybe this is not permissable in the room/building your planning on, or in the zone you live in. Things that are modified/installed that are not allowed can create problems upon resale. I'm thinking also - albeit unlikely - that a call to the insurance company might be prudent to see if they have issues. It would suck to have a fire, and the insurance company balks because of a dot on an "I" or a slash on a "T" having been disregarded. They will likely be asking if your activity is for income generation, and if you are not already onside with this on them, they may have problems with your existing coverage.

Good luck Donna!
    Kevin

Real Name
    Todd Robert

Go ahead and put it in i put one in the overpour in my sunroom floor for the christmas tree and is controlled by a switch so no cords running across the floor. It is a cast box with a brass cover and a single receptacle in it. The center piece of the brass cover is removed when receptacle is to be used and then placed back when done. One of the best things that we have done on the addition

By the way the make of box that i used is Hubble and is about 4" in diameter.
    If you want me to make it i need this new tool first

Real Name
    J.P.

Mike says it's OK to do so I guess that means it's withing the code to have an outlet on the floor. I'm sure there must be rules that govern just how it's done.
    I have seen the dome type ones referred to earlier but I don't believe I have ever seen one flat on the floor. At least not that I recall.
    Anyway, my concern would be dust and/or liquids getting in the box. A sealed unit would be preferred here. Perhaps the outdoor type box that has a cover with a door over each socket. They may not be water tight but they would certainly keep dust out and prevent a spill from running uncontrolled directly into the outlet.
    My two cents.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Real Name
    Todd Robert

[I have seen the dome type ones referred to earlier but I don't believe I have ever seen one flat on the floor. At least not that I recall.]

Hey J.P. just take a look at any mall when you are walking thru there are usually all kinds of in floor receptacles that are flush with the floor. They are usually brass and has a cover that threads out to access the receptacle. This is the type that i have, work great

Not sure about the legality or practicality in a shop, but they certainly exist. Many school gym's and/or multi-purpose rooms have these.

You may want to look around a bit. See this warning from the US Consumer Protection Agency:
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07159.html
    Last edited by APLJaK; 10-18-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added information
    APLJaK

In floor receptacles do exist and there are some code rules when it pertains to automotive garages.

My experience with them are they are either tripping hazards or a receptacle for dust, dirt, oil, water, etc. And, usually not in the right place. Not a favorite of mine.

I much prefer to have a cord drop from the ceiling. Have the end high enough that you dont run into it but low enough it can be easily reached. Also, if it is in the wrong place it is way easier to move it.

Just my .02

Very best,

Al

My choice would also be a retractable cord from the ceiling it would get out of the way when you didn't want to use it.

First off, I guess I should have mentioned this is not for a shop situation which is why I didn't post it here to start. I'm currently thinking of an edge-thickened slab-on-grade foundation for our future little home in the country. It's open concept with not a lot of walls for outlets and am trying to figure out how to light areas beside chairs or sofas that are not against a wall.
    From my previous life in shopping centre world I'm familiar with the in-floor "Hubble" brass fixtures with the screw on caps that are flush with the floor. Mall floors get machined washed and waxed frequently, (way more often than I wash floors) and those things hold up well.
    But in casually asking about, I get differing responses. So I called a couple of residential elec. contractors and one says "can't do it", one says you can. The ESA site is really of no help.
    So I'm gonna plan one or two in the drawings and see if that raises any red-flags down the road. So long as they are in conduit and the box is approved, I should be ok.
    Thanks for all the responses.
    Donna,

Quote Originally Posted by Donna in Orleans View Post
    But in casually asking about, I get differing responses. So I called a couple of residential elec. contractors and one says "can't do it", one says you can. The ESA site is really of no help.
    Hi Donna,

I have an ESA inspection scheduled for Monday. I'll ask the inspector to see what he has to say.

Max

Real Name
    Todd Robert

Hi Donna

There should be no problem whatsoever with ESA. I am an electrician and like i have stated previously you can install plugs in the floor just as long as the covers on them will cover the entire receptacle when not in use. This is shown in one of the other posts here. Just like you said the Hubble ones which is what i have in my floor. Since mine is in an overpour of lightweight concrete the box is cast with a piece of 1/2" EMT going thru the subfloor into the basement. On the end of the conduit in the basement there is an EMT to Flex connector and the wire which is 14/2 NMD90 is fed up thru the conduit to the box which is then connected to the single receptacle.

So in other words it is fine to have receptacles in floors in residential applications. Not just in commercial or industrial settings. If your application is just in a typical floor meaning no overpour you can use standard boxes and receptacles but you will need the proper cover and the installation may take a little time so that the cover will be flush with the finished floor.

The only place where you can't have receptacles facing up is on counter tops in kitchens or bath rooms.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

It's completely legal to do this provided you use the equipent designed for it. I've put plenty of these into concrete floors, tile floors over wood, wood floors on wood framing, carpeted floors over wood framing... just gotta use the right hardware and follow the code. I had thought to put htese into my shop, but at 100 bucks for the brass box and cover, it was just a little rich for me.

Several years after I built my shop Arlington came out with a PVC version that was cheaper and I think the other major manufacturers like hubbel, crouse hinds and possibly Ipex have PVC versions now that are much cheaper than the brass version. the box is PVC but the cover is brass.

Cheers

Michael

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

I've got no in-floor receptacles, but have some waterproof ones outdoors, they are US Navy ones and this type is probably available at ship and boat yards, the plugs on these are also water proof, so not just the closed receptacle, I took a picture of the two I installed on the little light post by my pond, these are switched some of the others are not and they do come in double and single units.
    I know similar ones are used in industry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Real Name
    Steve

Leo, they might be available at Navy surplus and since she probably wanted the outlets in order to to have a source to read by, you should match the decor and pick up a couple of matching battle lanterns also

Hi Donna,

The ESA inspector just left and I posed your situation to him. In floor recepticles are allowed in Ontario - so long as you use a box, plug, conduit, etc as required by the Electrical Code. He indicted that there are special boxes specified for in-floor applications.

When you get you permit, I'm sure they'll advise you if you used the correct set-up.

Max

Got it. I'm good to go. Thanks again all.
    Donna,