FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid air cleaner

Default Ridgid air cleaner

Ordered this Ridgid portable air cleaner from Lee Valley today. It is on for $50. (Cost 2x that much at" big orange box"). I figured that I could place it on the bench when I use my orbital or belt sanders. Anyone have one of these?

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Ridgid air cleaner

Gosh that's a cheap price. I wasn't aware that LV was selling Ridgid stuff now.
    Based on your description of how you intend to use it, I expect it will be helpful to clean the dust away in it's immediate vicinity. I've found by far the best solution for the RAS is to connect it directly to my shop vac. That gets a high percentage of the fine dust at source and also greatly extends the life of the sanding disks. I usually run my Delta triangular air cleaner as well and that circulates the air around the shop (450 cf/m) grabbing whatever air-borne dust it can either directly or from the circulating air stream.
    I'm not sure if the 250 cf/m capacity of this unit will be very helpful circulating air and collecting the dust before it roosts or you breath it. You will know fairly soon after you start using it.. either dust will start to accumulate or not.
    If you also have a conventional air cleaner and this one is supplementary, it sure can't hurt. I've loaned mine several times to friends doing drywall work and it sure does a good job on that too.

Rick I have this GI to circulate and clean the air. (of course it is hung on the ceiling)
    I usually attach my ros to my shop vac. but I find it combersome and gets kinda heavy if I have a lot of sanding to do.
    I was hoping to have the suction of the Ridgid, as close as possible to my work without getting in the way, then I could do without the shop vac.

Paul

Paul, I have the same complaint about the Ridgid hose I use connected to my ROS, but it trumps what the air cleaner can grab immediately and gives you a better sanding job too. Frank Pellow brought his Festool sander or router and vac over one day which of course have great dust collection. That smaller diameter, long, flexible hose sure would work great on a few of my tools, especially because my vac has variable speed. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything like that for sale locally and I bet 'the green one' costs a fortune.

Real Name
    Steve

Rick & Paul

Are you referring to the standard lightweight 1 1/4" small shop vacuum hose? They are available from ShopVac at hardware stores with a 1 1/4"- 2 1/4" 'big' Shopvac adapter.

If I am missing your point, I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    Rick & Paul

Are you referring to the standard lightweight 1 1/4" small shop vacuum hose? They are available from ShopVac at hardware stores with a 1 1/4"- 2 1/4" 'big' Shopvac adapter.

If I am missing your point, I apologize.
    Steve, what I was referring to is the orange Ridgid that I use generally. Great hose but weighs a ton and makes my little ROS cumbersome.
    The Festool is almost a featherweight in comparision and 27mm dia but $90 for 3.5m length.
    I've had the light weight black plastic jobs before.

Just a thought here Rick, have you tried hanging your black hose from the ceiling on a bungee cord?

I think there is a mismatch between tools.

An air cleaner is used to remove fine particles ( a.k.a. "fines") from the air, it isn't designed to collect chips ( basically the stuff you see). The idea is to circulate the entire volume of your shop through the cleaner several times an hour and pick up the really small particles that cause most of the problems in our lungs. Putting it close to a random orbiter sander will probably do two things:

1. Not collect a reasonable percentage of the chips or fines produced by the tool;
    2. Quickly clog the collector with large stuff.

You could try it and find out, if so report back and let us know.

Everything I have read about shop vac style vacuums is that they are only good for general shop clean up and some chip collection. They have been described as dust cannons, spewing the fines out into the air. I don't know what the effect of the "special" filters you can get for them are but I suspect it is no where near what the advertising would like you to believe.

The basic problem is that you need to move a lot of air, at the tool, to properly entrain ( lift and move stuff in the air stream) the particles. This requires large diameter ducts and an impeller driven by a true multi horsepower ( real HP not "peak") motor. To clean the air you need good chip separation followed by good fines collection. To keep the whole thing working you need regular maintenance. That's the physics of the situation and unfortunately its not going to change.

It looks like what is required is a down draft table. Hooking it too a shop vac, using a good dust mask and then letting the air cleaner run after you exit the shop will probably be the best low budget solution.

How long to run the cleaner depends on the shop size and the CFM of the cleaner. The description of the unit does not specifiy the CFM ( it does say a CMF of 250, could be a typo, I have no idea what CMF is) but claims to perform more than 6 exchanges per hour in a 17'x17'x8' shop. that comes out to about 385 CFM. I seem to remember that 6 exchanges per hour is "a good thing" assuming the filter is kept clean.

On a side note. I've seen some postings about enclosing the air cleaner to cut down on noise. You have to be careful. The unit needs proper ventilation or it will overheat. You also have to have a properly sized air return path so that the newly cleaned air can return to the shop.
    Last edited by fdaluet; 10-23-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul/Sarnia View Post
    Anyone have one of these?
    Paul, I've had one of those attached to the ceiling of my small (11x22ish) shop for the past 5+ years. But I have nothing to compare it to, So i don't really know how to say how "well" it works. The filter sure does collect dust, as I've cleaned it regularly. It's pretty quiet, but likely not much good for a bigger shop.

As for sanding... I also find that a hose hooked up to my shopvac does a far, far better job. But it is cumbersome with the big heavy 1-1/2" diameter hose.

If anyone spots a deal or sale on a Fein, or a Festool, or a Porter-Cable shopvac, please post a pointer here on the forum!
    It's not about you.

I've built a basic 24"x36"ish bench top down draft table that works great when connected to a DC. Basically just a box with pegboard on top all of which I had laying around. I've tried connecting to a shop vac but it was not very good, it needs a bigger volume of air.
    Paul

I've also had one of these attached to the ceiling of my basement shop for the last several years. I can't really say if it makes a huge difference, but I certainly think it's useful when used in addition to a dust collector (or shop vac). As others have said, it's not a replacement for real dust collection at the source. At $50 I think it's a good deal.

I think LV must have got these on some sort of clearance from the manufacturer. That was my impression when I saw them at the Ottawa store last week. I know LV used to sell a similar model, and still sells replacement filters that work for the Ridgid. Wouldn't surprise me if HD was not going to be selling these anymore.

I know you guys have gotten way of track between DC and air cleaners but...

I looked at those rigid/shop vac setups years ago and the filters were way too expensive compared to building a unit out of a furnace fan.

For those looking for a long hose for your ROS and other sanders - try sump hose. You can get about 25' for $6 or so and it works wonderfully. A little duct tape around a plastic fitting and your good to go. I have a 2HP King and it doesn't collapse the hose at all.

Max

I do not believe the fan puts out the rated air movement, besides, the filters are rather expensive and only removes 3 microns. A good DC removes 1 micron.

I question the value even at the lv discounted price. A furnace squirrel cage blower with a few furnace filters does far superiour job with lower operating costs and less noise.

would not go past 7-800 cu ft or 100 sq ft at best to be effective.

fyi
    bob

Real Name
    Steve

Rick - I think the orange (Rigid) hose you show is 2.5"; Shopvac ofers 1.25" hoses for varying lengths for about $22; 1.5" from 10' to as much as 25' length for about $40 to $100 for the 25'. They also have adapters for these smaller hoses to connect to the 2.5" which is what I meant to refer to and may have misquoted as 2 1/4 (sic). (Shopvac.com)

I don't know if these are what you referred to in "I've had the light weight black plastic jobs before.", but I found they were light, non-collapsing, and worked well in the same circumstances.

The Festool 27 mm hose mentioned equates, I believe to 1 3/8", which would seem to be workable if that is involved.

Just trying to help....

Quote Originally Posted by fdaluet View Post
    How long to run the cleaner depends on the shop size and the CFM of the cleaner. The description of the unit does not specifiy the CFM ( it does say a CMF of 250, could be a typo, I have no idea what CMF is) but claims to perform more than 6 exchanges per hour in a 17'x17'x8' shop. that comes out to about 385 CFM. I seem to remember that 6 exchanges per hour is "a good thing" assuming the filter is kept clean.

I agree with most of your post, except the above.

Working from shop size to find the CFM required to exchange the air six times an hour:

17'*17'*8'=2312CF

2312CF*6/hour=13872CF/hour

13872CF/hour*(1 hour / 60 minutes)=231.2CFM

Working from CFM to find the exchanges an hour in a given shop size:

17'*17'*8'=2312CF

2132CF/250CFM=9.25 minutes an exchange

1 hour / 9.25 minutes=6.5 exchanges an hour

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaP View Post
    I've built a basic 24"x36"ish bench top down draft table that works great when connected to a DC. Basically just a box with pegboard on top all of which I had laying around. I've tried connecting to a shop vac but it was not very good, it needs a bigger volume of air.
    I have one too that sounds similar and I just connect it directly to my DC with 4" flex hose. There is a fair bit of suction happening... if I'm sanding an 8" wide board, it is literally 'glued' to the downdraft table. Got the plans from one of the mags 4-5 years ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul/Sarnia View Post
    Ordered this Ridgid portable air cleaner from Lee Valley today. It is on for $50. (Cost 2x that much at" big orange box"). I figured that I could place it on the bench when I use my orbital or belt sanders. Anyone have one of these?

Paul
    I have that same unit and it works great . The only difference is i paid $ 200.00 for the same machine 10 years ago .The other thing is the filters are $ 30.00 -$ 35.00 for replacements .

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Thom View Post
    Steve, what I was referring to is the orange Ridgid that I use generally. Great hose but weighs a ton and makes my little ROS cumbersome.
    The Festool is almost a featherweight in comparision and 27mm dia but $90 for 3.5m length.
    I've had the light weight black plastic jobs before.
    I use sump pump hose which is extremely light, durable and cheap. I have a 5 ft section of it permanently attached to my Makita ROS with hose clamps. All I do is stick the end of my shop vac hose into it. Shop Vac has a bag filter as well as one of those good Hepa filters. Same section of hose has lasted me about 6 years so far. Canadian Tire sells it for about $8 for about 20 feet of the stuff.

Blog Entries

Square peg in a round hole!

At least this is what it seems trying to get an air cleaner to achieve what dust/debris extraction is meant to do.
    Kevin

Don't think the Ridgid from LV is designed to sit next to a ROS or any sander to suck up that kind of dust. Better to build a vacuum in to a downdraft table.