FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: project ideas with cedar fence boards?

Default project ideas with cedar fence boards?

The high school I work at was given thousands of short (12 to 24 inches) pieces of cedar fence boards and also small redwood planks (2 inches by 12 inches). We are looking for project designs, such as flower boxes and the like. Thank you for any help

roper in orleans

Default Re: project ideas with cedar fence boards?

Quote Originally Posted by roper View Post
    The high school I work at was given thousands of short (12 to 24 inches) pieces of cedar fence boards and also small redwood planks (2 inches by 12 inches). We are looking for project designs, such as flower boxes and the like. Thank you for any help

roper in orleans
    I would require a small change to my design (more lamination would be required), but it would be possible to make the children's log building kit that I documented in the thread: http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ad.php?t=17397
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 10-23-2008 at 09:15 AM.
    Cheers,
    Frank

1. Seat slats for Adirondack or Muskoka style chairs;
    2. Laminate to make bigger boards;
    3. Laminate to make turning blanks;
    4. Trivets ( see router workshop);
    5. Various small boxes;
    6. Bat / Bird / Butterfly houses;
    7. Router lettered signs.

Is cedar and red wood OK for cutting boards?

You could make fish shaped grilling planks

They're fence boards...

Build a fence!?!

Otherwsie they'd just be called boards.

Just kidding...

Make mini-Muskoka Chairs (scaled down versions for small children), picture frames, doors, display cases, jewellry boxes/cases, briefcases for teachers (as an award for best teacher), desk organizers, doll houses, etc, etc.

What I'd do - contact the business and accounting teachers and start up a pencil factory. You have clients on site and free child labour - so you could save a fortune in shipping.

I remember grade 8 shop - our teacher had us spend most of the year pulling nails from 2x4's so he could use the lumber for picnic tables - which of course he sold and kept the profits for himself!

Max

Several Years ago my daughter bought this Yard sign... Over the years it has gotten pretty well "Funky" is a good discription for its condition. S0.... She unloads it in my garage and asks me to make her another (she'll do the painting) I too have some Cedar "Fence" boards shorts and am planning on making the little houses from that and I also have some 2" PT slats from another project that I will make the "Fence" . Might introduce your folks to this "Yard Art"....

And it might keep Max happy as you will be making a "Fence" with your Fence Boards...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    And it might keep Max happy as you will be making a "Fence" with your Fence Boards...
    How did I miss bird houses. The world can never have enough bird houses! I wonder - what are the total annual sales for birdhouses in North America. It must be in the hundreds of millions!

Max

Thanks for the great ideas. I like them all but the front yard art is going to be our first one.

Roper in Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max In Sudbury View Post
    How did I miss bird houses. The world can never have enough bird houses! I wonder - what are the total annual sales for birdhouses in North America. It must be in the hundreds of millions!

Max
    I make BIG bucks for building BIG birdhouses

Quote Originally Posted by cranbrook2 View Post
    I make BIG bucks for building BIG birdhouses
    I don't doubt it. Every store you go into sells birdhouses - dollar stores, drug stores, grocery stores. They're everywhere. I've got several in my yard (not as big as yours of course).

I wonder where one could find out how many a year are sold? Maybe that will be the "new" economy!

Max

I vote for the bird houses project. We enjoy the tree swallows, blue birds and house wrens in our boxes, and there is always places for more boxes.

Glenn

I had some cedar shorts and made some bird houses at the suggestion of a neighbour. Some of the neighbours are dedicated bird watchers and wanted some special bird specific houses. The first was a unit about 30 inches tall with a large opening and vertical rails up and down the front and sides. Meant for woodpeckers, after it went up the tree there was big woodpecker moving in the first day. I found the design online. I was also asked, but haven't got to it yet, to build bat houses. Some folks want to attract bats as they are interesting and eat a lot of bugs.

Real Name
    Steve

Is cedar and red wood OK for cutting boards?
    Sitting out here in redwood country, I can say that they are too soft and cedar particularly too splintery, for cutting on. Sorry

You could make fish shaped grilling planks
    One or two uses would be OK for the redwood but the oil etc. would permeate the wood and you would have trouble getting it clean

On the other hand, turned or band sawed serving platters, candy dishes, and so forth can be really nice, particularly for the RW. Unlike other wood, the redwood sawdust is great for the garden.