FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Wood Fruit ??

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

Smile Wood Fruit ??

Thought about answering Pete's post, but I wanted to show the piece I did many years ago, so decided to make a separate post for it
    As I had seen Pete's nice fruit-like turnings and his just finished Banana, I was reflecting on the ones I turned, though never done many as I found the effort in making them not very rewarding, so I turned other things that I find more fun to turn .
    But I did turn this Apple like fruit-knife holder some 43 years ago, and it did make the trip over from Holland to Canada, it has been used in our home all these years as a decorative and useful item.
    I got the hard tropical wood from my friends sawmill, and it was a very bright yellow then, the sawyer told me it would turn "Coffee brown" and I think he had it pretty close.
    It has my first carved piece of wood of the very few I've done to add to a turning, it is the Apple's stem that fits into the opening I drilled to use for making the hand-sawn splits for the fruit-knifes to sit in.
    The very low profile saw I also had to make as the opening was 1/2" IIRC, and had to be wide enough to have the knife-blades fit in easily, it was a lot of work holding the apple form and make the 12 slits, sawing them by hand into this hard wood, I was glad and quite proud when I finished it .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Default Re: Wood Fruit ??

Ah, Leo, you're Dutch, it all fits into place now, and I mean that most kindly. The tenacity, sincerity, everything. It's quite wonderful.
    The apples are beautiful. Well done. I'll bet they were hard work.

FWIW, and I'm not all that proud of it but it seems only fair to disclose,
    I am fifth generation Canadian, originally from Scotland. My Great Great Grandfather moved to Toronto in 1847 and started the Christie cracker business ten years later. Unfortunately, it was sold, with the name, to Nabisco in 1927...

Tom

Real Name

Hi Tom, thanks for commenting, apples ??, no just one Tom, that was enough work already , and we surely don't need 24 fruit knives either
    A Dutchman, yes I am, born raised and fought for it, just too many bureaucrats and other busybodies over there to my liking so I left , just too find they had them over here also

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Looks AWESOME Leo, great work as usual

Real Name

Thanks for the comment Jamie

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Real Name
    J.P.

Cool! It looks so real I want a slice.
    Nice looking piece of wood too, whatever it is.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Real Name

Hi JP , thanks , yes I don't remember what the woods called, I know the sawyer knew and told me , but.......
    I know he had it for the gold smiths, they used it to make the gold rings to size, as it is very dense wood, turned nice even with a scraper, as that's what I used in those days

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Leo: I like what you have done! This gives me an idea or two so I am saving the picture in my inspirational folder.

E.G.
    You stop learning the instant you start talking...
    And start again when you stop thinking how smart you are.

Real Name

Thanks Ed, nothing new under the sun I'd say, just another idea I had, and yes we do like it, looks good works well ;-)))

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Might have it wrong but bright yellow wood that turns a beautful brown is mulberry. Have some in the shop but haven't figured out what to do with it.

Beautiful apple by the way! Some year maybe I'll be closer to your league.

Real Name

Hi A....???.....Stewart

No you are not wrong about the Mulberry going brown, as does Osage Orange and a few others, however I'm quite familiar with Mulberry and OO and a few other wood types, this was not any of the above, but it was a piece from a imported log specifically for the making of the gold smith tools, and yes I was told the name of the wood at that time I just don't remember it anymore, I did turn a few more pieces from that block, and I still have some of those here in our home.

The Mulberry is very nice wood to turn A...??., but you have to take care drying it, as it is one of my most difficult wood to dry without splitting, so if your Mulberry isn't split yet, maybe you should make something from it before you have nothing but splinters left over

Here's a picture of some Mulberry bowls as they looked new and of one as it looked some years later
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Thanks. Nice bowls. I wanted to try something with the Mulberry but can't figure out what yet (and I'm in the Christmas rush to get all the presents done). Don't much care for the yellow color but once it goes golden brown it is a very beautiful wood.

Would it be better kiln dried? I have some black walnut in 14" x 14" x 24" that is checked after 4 years of air drying but still has some nice bowls in it (if I can manage to get them out).

Thanks! Alex

Real Name

Hi Alex
    You know if you had rough turned some bowls or platters or...., then the pieces would have been dry a long time ago and the wood would not have split/checked, of course we don't always have the time to do that, it is happening all to often over here as well, as there's just tooooo much wood to turn and not enough hours-days-years to do it all , good thing is of course I won't run out of either wood or things to turn

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo