FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: LATEX / LACQUER Sourcing help

Sugarbush near Horeseshoe Valley, Ontario
    Real Name
    Don

Question LATEX / LACQUER Sourcing help

Here are some of the comments:
    -find yourself a Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore or other place that sells lacquers
    -You can pretty much get a water based lacquer in any colour and sheen
    -the best latex to spray is Muralo Ultra Lite, followed by Ben Moore Impervo, then Sherwin Williams Pro Classic
    -do yourself a big favour and try WB tinted lacquers. It sprays sooooo much better, looks better, is harder, quicker to work with - AND you can get all the same colours/tints. Find a BM or SW nearby and they'll have it in stock. Its no worse for you or the environment than spraying latex
    -cut the Home Hardware Kitchen/Bath latex about 10% with water, stirred well and strained when pouring into the container
    -I use ML Campbell products
    -I use Becker Acroma
    Then there are Goudey and McFaddens.
    I would like to stick to waterbased.
    I have talked with the Benjamin Moore Store in the Parkway Village and the Sherwin Williams in Barrie.
    The former carries only clear lacquer and he said that his latex would be worse than Behr.
    The latter does not carry lacquers at all.
    Goudey only carries oil based lacquers.
    Can anyone help with sources of colour matched water based lacquer or sprayable latex?
    I thank you in advance.
    CHEERS
    Don B

Default Re: LATEX / LACQUER Sourcing help

Don't both Wood Essence and waterborne.ca carry Target Coatings Ultimate Spray Lacquer .. which is both water based and, I believe, tintable?

Hey Don---Richileau Hardware in Mississaga is the distributer for the Mohawk Finishing products in SW Ontario---they have it all
    "Born 50 years too late"

Real Name
    Mark Rose

Don, I.M.O I would not bother Richileau. They are an industrial supplier with very little product knowlege exept in hardware. You need a business to even purchase from them.
    I would call this place. http://www.wesdist.com/campbell.htm
    You will get the advice you require and you can freely ask questions for what you are doing. They ship at a reasonable cost.
    Cheers, Mark

and last time I checked they're still offering their one-day spray course. Well worth the few shekels that they were charging.

Steve
    If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong

Hi Don,

Here's a link to a woodweb finishing forum discussion about WB lacquers.

Hope this doesn't violate rules, but it is for the aid of a forumite...

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forum...pl?read=589935

Read post #11 - its confirms what I had indicated earlier in another thread.

Max
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

WES, 519 582-2621 does still have their spray seminars but the next one will probably not be until Jan. Usually run a couple a month. Each class is geared to the participants.There is usually a mix of full time woodworkers and hobbyists in each class. It is a lot of hands on spraying. As someone else stated Mc Faddens also have them but less frequent.I waited about 6 mos for Mc Faddens Both are ML Campbell dealers.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Real Name
    Don

Default Re: LATEX / LACQUER Source Update

I visited Leslie BM Paints today and had a very good discussion with the owner. They cannot tint lacquer. However, completing with a good primer and then with a good latex finish would be fine. Cover with a clear lacquer if you wish.
    Then I chatted with:
    http://www.wesdist.com/
    They tint lacquer. However 1 gal is a must. They can also match most colours. (Give classes as well).
    My new Earlex 3000 can spray anything with a 60sec~~viscosity.
    It seams all of the above will work or may be helped with some thinning.
    CHEERS
    Don B

[QUOTE=Don of Sugarbush;194594] he said that his latex would be worse than Behr.

Did you ask him specifically for Impervo? BM carries many different latex paints.

Can anyone help with sources of colour matched water based lacquer or sprayable latex?

The only way to find out if the major brands of waterbased lacquers are available in your area is to look up the manufacturers on the net, then either contact them directly, or get their list of distributors and contact the one nearest you. You have been given all their names (add ICA to the list), now its time for you to to some checking.

Then I chatted with:
    http://www.wesdist.com/
    They tint lacquer. However 1 gal is a must. They can also match most colours.

Be aware that until ML Campbell releases their new line of Agualente/Aguabarnice products, their tintable waterbased lacquer is called Polystar, and it has a lot of problems when spraying. FYI, I buy about 90% of my finishing materials from WES, but I dropped the Polystar and switched to Becker Acroma for tintable wb because I get almost perfect, repeatable results every time, and my distributor matches Ben Moore colours.

That number doesn't mean much unless it's accompanied by the name of the viscosity cup it's measured through. Each cup is a different size so each gives a different reading for the same product.

Good luck......................Paul
    Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 12-05-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Real Name
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Paul O in Paris View Post

Be aware that until ML Campbell releases their new line of Agualente/Aguabarnice products, their tintable waterbased lacquer is called Polystar, and it has a lot of problems when spraying. FYI, I buy about 90% of my finishing materials from WES, but I dropped the Polystar and switched to Becker Acroma for tintable wb because I get almost perfect, repeatable results every time, and my distributor matches Ben Moore colours.

Who is your distributor?

That number doesn't mean much unless it's accompanied by the name of the viscosity cup it's measured through. Each cup is a different size so each gives a different reading for the same product.

The Viscosity Cup that comes with the Earlex. According to the source, this is the measure for the Earlex.

Good luck......................Paul
    Thanks for all the help.
    CHEERS
    Don B

Don!

I get my Becker through Royal City Paints in Stoney Creek, but their main facility is in Guelph (where they tint the wb).

Paul

RKR Heese is a Germany product made under license in Winnipeg. they have the best water base I have see and I have been selling to the woodindustry for over 10 years. Easy to spray and flows out very smooth. It is tintable, min 1 gallon. It too hard to colour match lacquer in quarts. My contact info is below(I am just south of Barrie) and I can get you in touch with their sales rep who will get you what you need and come out and give you a hand getting things figured out. I am not currently selling this product.