FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Picture frame mats?

Default Picture frame mats?

Iíve built picture frames and have the glass but now where would I buy mats. LOML tells me you gotta have mats.

Greg

Default Re: Picture frame mats?

Art supply store? Thats were I would start.

Cheers

Jim

You may want to try http://www.matshop.ca/ . I just use construction paper (two pieces with 1/8" overlap). Under the glass (and from a foot away) you can't really tell. I've been told though that mats are acid free and won't wreck your pictures where my construction paper will. Never could find them at Michaels. Hope this helps.

Alex Stewart

Tried Michaels they will do the framing but don't sell mats.

Greg

Hello Greg,

I have purchased mats at the local Michaels store here in Barrie - a whopping $40+. I have since then found Curry's - https://www.currys.com

Curry's here in Barrie sell them for about $8. Since I have built a number of frames and continue to do so, I have been able to find a used Nolan 48" mat cutter for about $100 that has been worth the investment that I would recommend too.

Hope that helps.

Shaffin.

Greg, do you folks have "Michael's" craft supply stores out that way? That's where I've bought it.

Kerry

Greg:

We have done lots of mats and have our own mat cutter however when we buy or mats we just go to a local framing and mat store with the frame and picture and they help to coordinate all three. We purchase acid free mats only.

Sometimes we purchase a full mat for about $20 and often they have smaller pieces around that work so we get them cheaper.

Gordo
    Gordo

Quote Originally Posted by Greg in Kingston View Post
    Iíve built picture frames and have the glass but now where would I buy mats. LOML tells me you gotta have mats.

Greg
    Surprised you struck out at Michael's because they did/do carry them at their store in Whitby. They also did framing but were more expensive than pro framing stores.

Walmart is where we last got some.

Real Name
    J.P.

FWIW My daughter works in the new Michaels here in Hamilton in the framing department and she said you would be better to go to a framing shop for the best price.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

As JP says----I purchase full mat board here in Ottawa for about 8.00 each and cut my own.
    "Born 50 years too late"

Thanks fellows I need to do more leg work on this whole subject. I never paid much attention to picture frames in the past. This whole new venture started when I asked the LOML what she wanted for Xmas. She has a watercolour that she wanted to re-frame. I asked her what else she wanted she said that this is all she wanted. She volunteered to go and select the frame etc., what a break didnít have to go and do all that trudging around. Well I got the bill recently and I figured that I could have bought the Domino and the T75 and still been ahead.

Needless to say that picture framing is going to be a new focus in my WW since she has about another dozen or so picture that she thinks need to be re-framed.

Greg

There are a number of issues to understand about mats. The first reason to use a mat when framing is to create a space so the picture doesn't touch the glass. There is condensation on glass as temperature and humidity changes - you can't see it but it's there. You may have noticed water marks on old pictures which are against the glass. Modern photographs are made on a paper with a resin coating. If placed against the glass for a few years they often stick to the glass and they can't be separated - it's permanent. So use a mat.

You will hear "acid free" - all mats are acid free but some are acid free long term and others are just buffered and will be acidic in a few years. If the life of the picture is important get what's refered to as a conservation grade mat. Use a good material (not cardboard) behind the picture as well.

Work out the sizes starting from the picture and adding the mat before making the frame - don't start with the frame and then dump in a mat covering a lot of the picture. An 8x10 picture goes in a frame about 12x14.

This forum is about wood - unfortunately most wood is very acidic and should not contact any paper or fabric art - it will ruin it in short order.

When choosing mat colors go for the middle tones of the picture so the lighter and brighter parts of the picture will be the center of interest of the finished piece.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0

Quote Originally Posted by Greg in Kingston View Post

Greg
    I buy my mat material at Wallacks in the west end of Ottawa.

Here's the location of the Kingston store:

https://www.wallacks.com/slocations....=11&event=norm

cheers

John