FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Dust mask / safety glasses question.

Question Dust mask / safety glasses question.

I wear a simple dust mask in the shop when cutting or sanding. I also wear safety glasses. But I find that because of the mask, the safety glasses have such a gap around them that dust still gets in my eyes.
    Do you guys have recommendations on what i can do to help remedy this?

I wear this mask (B in the link) but am certainly willing to upgrade.
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...26&cat=1,42207

And use glasses similar to this.
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...207,42216&ap=1

I read the recent post on dust mask choices but my question is a bit more specific as to ALSO keeping dust out of my eyes.
    I don't really want to wear a full face shield so a mask / glasses combo would be better for me.
    Any recommendations?

Thanks.
    Ryan
    Formerly known as "Ryan in Edmonton "

GALLERY OF PROJECTS: http://lumberjocks.com/galleries/Boomr99#

Default Re: Dust mask / safety glasses question.

Have you thought about wearing goggles instead of glasses. Some who have allergies to the wood dust use these.
    http://www.accessplatforms.com/asset...etyGoggles.jpg

An upgrade to a resperator is also possible, I think it might be better than a mask.

I guess the alternative is something like the triton

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=PRC001

Thanks kcjones. I used to wear goggles like that in high school shop class. I never liked them as they were very uncomfortable for me. But I may try them again as I'm sure in the past 15 years improvements to them might have made them more comfortable. Would they fit snuggly over a dust mask though?

If I do upgrade to a respirator like this one
    would glasses fit over them properly?

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I think if you want to keep dust out of your eyes entirely, goggles are about the only way to go (other than a full face respirator). On this page: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/goggles1.html they have one listed as desert combat goggles - I'll bet they keep the dust out! They have a few other pretty nifty looking sets as well - no idea whether you can get anything like these locally.

And IMHO you really should lose those masks in favour of a respirator fitted with dust cartridges.

Cheers,
    Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan in Edmonton View Post
    Thanks kcjones. I used to wear goggles like that in high school shop class. I never liked them as they were very uncomfortable for me. But I may try them again as I'm sure in the past 15 years improvements to them might have made them more comfortable. Would they fit snuggly over a dust mask though?

If I do upgrade to a respirator like this one
    would glasses fit over them properly?

Ryan
    The ones that yuo wore in school were probably the cheapest ones out there, but I would go to a safety supply store and get fitted by a sales professional so the goggles and mask can be worn together or separate.

I have a respirator similar to the pics above. For safety glasses, the ones I use have a nose piece that comes off easily. I find that without the nose piece they rest nicely on the respirator and fit tightly enough to keep chips and such out. One caveat is that a valved mask/respirator is needed to keep them from fogging up.

Thank you guys very much for the tips and advice so far.
    I contacted a friend of mine today who is a safety coordinator for a large oil company (starts with Petro, ends with _anada, you fill in the blank). He was able to make some suggestions and brough me over a couple of respirators and some glasss to try out, free of charge!
    I got this 3M product (6000 series respirator) with p100 cartridges

As well as this North 5500 series product, also with p100 cartridges:

And he gave me a pair of these Uvex glasses that have more top and side coverage.

I'll give them a whirl and see how I like it. The removable nosepiece idea may be something I'll have to try as well.

Does anybody or has anybody used any of these and would like to comment? Or even if you know more about respirators than I do (not hard, cause I know next to nothing) are these good products? Are the P100 cartridges what I need for sawdust and oil based wood finish vapors? I don't use spray equipment (maybe the odd aeresole can) and usually just wipe or brush on stains and finishes such as poly, danish oil, tung oil, shellac, and of coarse paint thinners and mineral spirits, maybe methyl hydrate the odd time. I open the garage door when it's warm enough, but do an aweful lot of work with it closed when it's cold out too.

Thanks again.

Ryan

The type of mask that you need for dust protection is different from the ones for vapours from finish. The type used for finish uses an activated charcoal filter which has a relatively short life span and fairly high cost so its only used when you actually need. Dust protection uses relatively long life filters that are fairly cheap and sometimes can be cleaned.

Finish gives off VOCs ( Volatile Organic Compounds) of various types and requires a more active filter than dust.

The most harmful part of dust is the really fine particles, some times called "fines". To remove them you need filters that can handle particle sizes of around 1 micron.

I believe your p100 is good for dust but not VOCs.

That 3M one you show is a model used for fit testing, not for wearing. This is the one I have at home:
    http://www3.3m.com/catalog/ca/en001/...er/output_html

I find it very comfortable. I use the same filters you show. They're good for dust and for 'nuisance' level VOC's. For any length of time exposed to solvents you would want something a little better, but I find for small quick jobs they work just fine.

I have that North model at work, and don't mind it but I don't have to wear it very often.

Kerry

Thanks guys.
    Ya sorry Kerry, the exact one I got is this one:
    http://www3.3m.com/catalog/ca/en001/...er/output_html

The 6200 model. It fits quite comfortably but haven't had any decent amount of shop time to try it out.

The level of VOC's I'm exposed to is quite minimal and short in duration ( maybe an hour at a time) and after reading up on the cartridges it seems that the P100's are good for oil based finishes, which would be my only real concern.

I will update on the comfort level of both masks and the dust protection of the new glasses once I have more time with them in the shop. I may have to go with goggles as was also suggested to really keep the dust out.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ryan

I believe what you want is a respirator that uses N95 filters, meaning they filter 95%+ of particles 0.3 microns and up. Tests show that they filter 100% of 1 micron particles as well. That said, I am currently using a N95 filter respirator with vents on the side, very much like the black rubber one listed a few posts above.

bc

I'd suggest full time wearing of a mask that will remove the organic vapors and when not in use keep it stored in an airtight bag.

The glasses and eye protection are another matter and it may be difficult to get a combination that will fit. It all depends on your facial dimensions. For a real proper fit you may need one pair of glasses that are fitted to the goggles so you can get a seal.

Some welding goggles with clear lenses may serve your purpose for the eye protection.

Probably the best, as has been suggested, is to take a trip down to safety supply or some other industrial supplier handling similar equipment and try various sises and types of masks and goggles till you get a combination that fits. All this stuff comes in different sises and configurations for different face types and perhaps they have the right combination for you. They may also have more expensive models that fit better but are not usually seen on job sites.

And lastly do not forget fogging. Soon as you find a goggle that is just perfect any exertion and the darn thing will fog up!

Good hunting and let us know how you make out.

go with a full face respirator like 3M 6800 masks. You have lots of options on filters based on what you are working with. Becuase it is a mask and eye protection you have a vent so no fogging issues. make sure you get the tear aways(like clear plastic tape that go over the lense that is replaced once they are dirty) Cost of the mask is roughly $120 plus fillters.

Depending on what I'm doing. Cutting something that is full of bits and pieces or working on my grinder I'll use both glasses and a face shield. Most of the time just a face shield. The table saw has great dust collection so I just use the shield and ear plugs.

I do have a charcol respirator though.
    Wyatt Earp
    My wife's Mr. Fix It. Construction Manager by day, hobbist when I find time.

Real Name
    J.P.

FWIW, I have a face shield but I find it very uncomfortable and a bit claustrophobic so I don't wear it as often as I should.
    I do wear it when I'm doing any grinding (bench grinder or angle grinder) and occasionally when I'm turning but I have to force myself to put it on because it's so uncomfortable. That said, it's a cheep one from PA. I have since tried the LV Professional face shield and I'm quite impressed. It's very comfortable and quite a bit lighter then it looks. I don't know how it would work with a respirator but it would certainly work with a dust mask.
    It's on my list of upgrades.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

J.P. honesty is great but getting something in the cheek can hurt. Have you tried NORTH? That's what I have. It works great and it was under $40 if I remember right. It fits well even with say a ball cap on backwards as it has a padded screw cam head band.

The plastic "screen" is removable and is cleanable using window glass cleaner.
    Wyatt Earp
    My wife's Mr. Fix It. Construction Manager by day, hobbist when I find time.

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
    J.P. honesty is great but getting something in the cheek can hurt. Have you tried NORTH? That's what I have. It works great and it was under $40 if I remember right. It fits well even with say a ball cap on backwards as it has a padded screw cam head band.

The plastic "screen" is removable and is cleanable using window glass cleaner.
    Ill look into it.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd