FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: How to properly adjust and use a Jointer?

Default How to properly adjust and use a Jointer?

I just picked up a sturdy and very old Beaver 3800 Jointer, and as well, a delta 12" thickness planer. Along with that, some wide and rough hardwood boards.

I started to clean up the surface rust from the jointer using WD40 and scotch brite.

Any advise on adjusting it, and how to properly joint some boards?
    I've test on some reclaimed hardwood floors, and although it does the job, its not a smooth as I hoped, and there are some tears or chips here and there.

Default Re: How to properly adjust and use a Jointer?

Joeboxer, when I first set up my jointer, I found this article very helpful. Have a good read of it. It explains everything.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/usejntr.html

Ryan

Real Name
    Steve Morris

a jointer is probably the trickiest machine in woodworking to setup properly and proper setup is crucial to good woodworking

start out by trying a few boards, and check the cut surface. chipping usually indicates that you are running the board the wrong way over the cutter, reverse the board and run it the other way. a rough cut canalso indicate dullblades, too fast feed rate, too deep a cut. the blades can be honed on a waterstone or i prefer 15 micron abrasive paper on a piee of glass, the lee valley setup works nicely, especially with the blade holder gadget

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...072,43078&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...04&cat=1,43072

if the blades are nicked any amount you'll have to send themout for grinding, then hone them

jointer setup otherwise is a whole other game, the tables MUST be parallel, and the outfeed table must be even with the top of the blade's arc

check for parallel using a straight edge and if adjustment is need, shim the outfeed table, brass shim material can be used.

knife or blade setting is crucial, i use an aluminum straight edge on the outfeed table to set the height, its tricky and takes patience

lastly check the fence for square and adjust as needed

properly setup, the jointer will be a joy to use

usage? well im no expert, the key thing is the right pressure on the material in the right place, experimentation is the best but maintain pressure on the out feed side of the blades and against the fence. popular woodworking had a series of articles last year, including an excellent one on jointer usage and safety

keep us posted!!
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1915 or so crescent

Was just watching this video on how to set in the knives properly. Great video, and easy to follow for a novice like me.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+jointer&hl=en

I got a 6" Sears Jointer for Xmas. It is the smaller table model
    The decks on it are about 14".

I find when I run stock through it a couple of times the back end (following end) of the board has more off of it after a couple of passes than does the
    leading edge.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

I have read in another thread that if you flip the board end for end at every pass you eliminate this situation. I have been using this method yesterday and today and it works well. I am using a mastercraft 6" jointer which is not the best but I am now getting decent results. Hope this works for you. If you do a search on in the forum for jointer technique you can find much more information.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberclark View Post

I find when I run stock through it a couple of times the back end (following end) of the board has more off of it after a couple of passes than does the
    leading edge.

You're not doing anything wrong. Jointers are not designed to give you parallel faces. They are designed to give you a perfectly flat face, and then an edge that is perfectly square and flat to the flat face. A thickness planer and a table saw are designed to make faces and edges parallel.

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberclark View Post

leading edge.

Could be your blades are set too high. They should be no higher then the outfeed table.
    One way to check.
    Take a piece of wood that has one flat face. Lay it on the outfeed table so it's hanging over the cutterhead. Rotate the cutterhead by hand. If the wood moves more then 1/8" the blades are too high.
    If the outfeed table is adjustable, it needs to come up. If not, the blades need to go down.
    Check the links listed above for step by step instructions.
    HTH
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Real Name
    Steve Morris

ditto with all of the above!!

a jointer will eventually taper a board, the jointed surface wil be flat but thinner at one end.

reverse the board every cut if you have lots of passes to do, then the last pass or two will be "with" the grain to remove the fine chipping. which way to go will become apparent quickly!!

the knives could be too high, check with a straight edge, the knives should be flush with the outfeed table. unfortunately, most tabletop jointers dont have adjustable outfeed tables, so you'll have to reset the knives

watch your technique too, mild pressure on the infeed table until you can maintain pressure on the outfeed table, push blocks help too by easier feeding with less downward pressure.

lubricant on the tables make everything slide better too, wax, a dry spray lube etc etc
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1915 or so crescent

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan in Edmonton View Post
    Joeboxer, when I first set up my jointer, I found this article very helpful. Have a good read of it. It explains everything. http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/usejntr.html
    Nice article. He went a little too quickly over setting the height of the outfeed surface relative to the infeed though, a trick I am still trying to master.

Bob Vaughan's knife-setting video is great, but it seemed to me that he had already set the outfeed table height relative to the infeed, and did not explain that relationship?
    Jim
    --------------------------
    Wood, the final frontier

Quote Originally Posted by kerfin View Post
    Nice article. He went a little too quickly over setting the height of the outfeed surface relative to the infeed though, a trick I am still trying to master.

Bob Vaughan's knife-setting video is great, but it seemed to me that he had already set the outfeed table height relative to the infeed, and did not explain that relationship?
    The outfeed table is set according to the knives, equal to the highest part of their arc. The infeed table is set lower than the outfeed table strictly to establish the cut depth. Most people I know get their jointer tuned up and then lock out the infeed table at someplace between 1/8" and 1/64th" below the outfeed table. Taking a few very light cuts is always better than trying to hog off too much wood at once. That just strains everything from the knives to the wood itself.
    Tom Hintz
    NewWoodworker.com