FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Left over hardwood flooring

Default Left over hardwood flooring

I have a bunch of left overs of a bunch of different hardwood flooring chunks. What to do with them? Looking for ideas, plans, photos anything to inspire me to use some of this stuff up. I have heard planing the finish is hard on planar blades. Not a big deal the finish looks nice anyway. If you got something add it here or send it to me at eventualantiques@gmail.com
    Thanks Gord

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Default Re: Left over hardwood flooring

that stuff works great for toys!!, that car in my avatar picture was recycled old "maple" flooring

and your right removing the finish is tough on any blade, i used an old tablesaw blade to "resaw" the material just enough to remove the finish
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Pinkerton View Post
    I have a bunch of left overs of a bunch of different hardwood flooring chunks. What to do with them? Looking for ideas, plans, photos anything to inspire me to use some of this stuff up. I have heard planing the finish is hard on planar blades. Not a big deal the finish looks nice anyway. If you got something add it here or send it to me at eventualantiques@gmail.com
    Thanks Gord

1. First, you need to keep some stashed away in case you ever damager part of your floor and need to repair it.
    2. I've used it to make a picture frame
    3. I've used it to make a custom frame for a Cold Air return - very nicely blends in and matches the floor
    4. I've used it to make candlesticks.
    5. Other than that, use your imagination! Steve had a great idea for toys. I wonder if it is big enough for pen blanks?
    It's not about you.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtMulder View Post
    I wonder if it is big enough for pen blanks?
    Maybe not for all pens, but for some sure! Most pen blanks commercialy sold are about 3/4" square but some pens need no more than 1/2" square.

The wood already had the dado for the door panels. Just a bit of trimming of edges and some glue and I had door. Bit more glue and I had drawer fronts.
    My next project with the leftover flooring (if I can find the magazine it was in) wooden floor grates instead of the ugly metal ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marly059 View Post
    The wood already had the dado for the door panels. Just a bit of trimming of edges and some glue and I had door. Bit more glue and I had drawer fronts.
    My next project with the leftover flooring (if I can find the magazine it was in) wooden floor grates instead of the ugly metal ones.

You could use the smaller pieces in that black box in the far corner
    Dara
    SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Dara View Post
    You could use the smaller pieces in that black box in the far corner
    That wouldn't work so good. Its an oil drip stove. Leftover wood goes into the house for the woodstove.

Real Name
    Steve Morris

lawn chairs, workmate coffee table, garden tractor and a workbench?

what kind of combination is that?
    steve, sarnia, ont

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post

I think it might fit into the mantra that my life is a very complicated drinking game.

Happily and woefully out of date
    ... and not buying the upgrade!

After you cut the grass you can sit down, have a cup of tea you then head over to the workbench.
    Actually, that end of the garage isn't used for my workshop. Since the picture was taken, there is also a wood storage rack beside the tractor, a desk (sort of) where the workmate is and a bookshelf for reading material while you drink your tea. I'm lucky to have a big three car garage for a shop

Well I am no flooring expert, but from what I have seen in the various stores, that most pre finished hardwood flooring has no finish on the back. Only thing I have seen is a dado like cut on the back. Not even sure what that is for. Ru n the wood through the planer, unfinished side up and glue two pieces together. Then you could rip the finish off a lot easier as the wood would be bulkier and easier to handle then it would be just right for things like pen blanks or segments for bowls. Best thing to do is ship it down to me, I will deal with it, ha ha ha
    Steve from Chester NS

One of the things I'm considering using my left over flooring for was to create a floor for around my work bench. Easier on my back rather than a concrete floor. Also gives a chisel a fighting chance if it rolls off the bench and hits the floor as well. They always land edge down dont they?

Very best,

Al

Real Name
    Steve Morris

hardwood flooring in a workshop? now thats decadent!!
    and some guys laughed at my laminate floor in my garage
    steve, sarnia, ont

hardwood flooring in a workshop? now thats decadent!!
    and some guys laughed at my laminate floor in my garage

hey...I'm very close to putting hardwood in my shop...well, maybe t&g pine..but wood
    Dara
    SPCHT

Some good ideas guys thanks. The bench is nice never crossed my mind to use em as cupboard doors that actually match the floors. I am planning a toe pincher coffin shaped stash box for a freind out of a small portion of the dark oak, any one know my mitres off hand? Near full box of dark oak, golden oak, and a very nice dark walnut. So lots to go through.
    Thanks gang

Oh, you'll go through them quick. Once you get going with one project, you'll be dying for another, and another ... I have used reclaimed birch flooring for some of my oil painting stretchers and large size frames.

Those two frames and stretcher for the pair of painting alone used up 100 sq.ft. of floor boards.

Definately makes for a great work bench. That is next on the list, after seeing how well they joint and plane. Yes, I'm using my jointer to strip off the finish. Its the original blade, and has some slight nick in them anyways. Each surface pass takes off 1/32, and 2 - 3 pass with the jointer would clean up all the finish.

Lucky for me, BB had m jointer blade set on sales. $14 for 3 replacement hss blades. That's cheaper than getting the old one resharpenned.

once all 700 - 800 sq.ft. of floor gets de-finished, its definately time for those replacement blades to go in.

I had a great idea what to do with the leftovers - I was using my hardwood floor leftovers for building a self-designed chair for my living room. Later I installed a new coffee brown hardwood floor in my living room.

Timely post. I have a job coming up that involves removing about 300 sq ft of cherry 3.25" prefinished flooring. It will be agonizing mentally to rip it up, hopefully I won't be there. Any one wants some let me know......I see a lot of drawer bottoms and sides in my future.
    Now I'm a pro contractor. This will be a limited time offer the day of. At the end of the day it's in the bin and in my van. I don't have time to fool around babysitting wood for anyone. Of course the usual fee of a round of coffee's for the boys applies.
    Paul