FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Here is my work so far.

Default Here is my work so far.

Tell me what I need to know.....

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...195403&l=e5b03

You don't need a facebook account to view them.

Also a few pics of my gigantic 12 by 14 shop in the spare bedroom in the basement. I may take over another room if I get too crammed...lol.

Default Re: Here is my work so far.

BTW..... there are only 2 bowls. some extra shots of the same one.
    I made the darker one after the seminar at Lee Valley.

I have made plenty of other stuff,.bowls, xmas tree ornaments, a big clunky candle holder,etc. I'll just keep those to myself.lol.lol.

Jim that first bowl is nice, I'm not to keen on the Michelin one but that's just my tastes. Certainly looks like you are having fun How do you stop the shavings tracking through the house?

Hi Pete, The Michelin one was a learning curve project. Iam only a beginner...lol. Thanks for the comment. I thought it felt kind of heavy...hehehe

I keep the mess out of the house by wearing an old pair of house slippers that I remove, and I use a shop vac on myself. I keep the dust in by closing off all openings with vapour barrier. Nothing gets out. A thorough sweeping and cleaning is done every day.

Well I'm the only cleaner/chief cook and bottle washer around here and even with a 20 foot outside walk and 2 door mats the darn things still lurk in dark corners in the house.
    One day I'll get a maid or a butler

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

[QUOTE=jim jim;209299]BTW..... there are only 2 bowls. some extra shots of the same one.
    I made the darker one after the seminar at Lee Valley.

have made plenty of other stuff,.bowls, xmas tree ornaments, a big clunky candle holder,etc. I'll just keep those to myself.lol.lol.

He that's not fair, you can't decide all by yourself what's big and clunky, so come on and show it, we will be very quiet when snickering

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Jim Jim..
    I like the first bowl as well. The Michelin doesn't do it for me either.
    Your lathe is the exact same as my old buddy here on this forum (Mr.Woody)..... he's quiet most of the time, but I know he lurks here.

I have also added you as a friend on Face book. Us newbies have to stick together..

Now that I realize how much the michelan actually looks like the front tire of a backhoe,I wanted to put in in the Lathe and take a few pounds off of it. My wife says 'No'. She likes it and uses it as a candy bowl. I think she is worried I might break it..lol.
    Leo......Iam gonna put some of my other"masterpieces" back in the lathe and try to improve on them. Iam not one for making excuses,but ya gotta give me some time to improve. I only started this wood lathe journey 2 months ago....lol. Iam still in the learning curve

Brian..I guess its offical....we have named my bowl 'The Michelan'.......lol. I'll check out facebook and add you as a friend too.
    Pete...the dust is a full time job,but it better than 50 ft walk to the garage in the winter. Iam gettin to old for the cold,and the old girl doesn't mind.

Jim Jim: Well I think you are off to a running start in the bowl turning vortex, you definitely have the bug. I also like "The Michelin" bowl, but the name is too long, shorten it to BIB, ha ha ha. Keep them pictures coming. Cossy little shop you have there as well. My shop is in my basement as well. My wife does not mind the dust either. She is just glad I am back in the shop making stuff.
    Steve from Chester NS

Real Name
    Murray

Hi Jim
    I like the first bowl and the second bowl has a place also. I could see it as a nut bowl at Christmas time. Your doing really nice work.
    M
    Murray

Steve.... thanks for the kind words.. I sure got the bug alright. All I gotta do now is get good at it.......hehehehhe. My wife puts up with the dust. She is happy Iam keepin busy.

Murry, you right. The Michelin bowl is now a candy/peanut dish. I won't win praise comparing to the work we see on this site,but you know how family is,.....I can't make a bad bowl....hahaha.

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by jim jim View Post
    I won't win praise comparing to the work we see on this site,but you know how family is,.....I can't make a bad bowl....hahaha.
    Keep in mind...We all started in the same place you are now. We have all turned Micheline man bowls, flat bottom bowls and all sorts of fancy firewood. Somewhere, either around here or at my mothers house, is a small 3" bowl with filled screw holes in the bottom of it that I turned back in the early 70s. All this time turning and I can still manage to turn out some pretty ugly stuff at times.
    Don't get too worried about it. Just have fun and the rest will fall in place eventually.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Thank you JP. I gotta get better if I keep pluggin along.

Iam 60. If I live another 20+ years, maybe I will get it figured out.

Turning reminds me of when I first started pressure welding in 1969. Ya kinda go thru stages and plateaus of learning. It seems like Iam stuck for about a week,.then a BREAK THRU TO A SLIGHTLY HIGHER LEVEL...........LOL..
    Ya just gotta keep on pluggin.

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

Quote Originally Posted by jim jim View Post
    Leo......Iam gonna put some of my other"masterpieces" back in the lathe and try to improve on them. Iam not one for making excuses,but ya gotta give me some time to improve. I only started this wood lathe journey 2 months ago....lol. Iam still in the learning curve :
    JJ all the time in the world, Like JP said we've all been there, and it is a struggle at times, but as I also say, make sure you enjoy it, if you have fun, it will show in your pieces also, and that is the one and only reason I turn wood, I just love turning, it is fun and I did get to know a whole bunch of nice guys along the way that also like to turn, Cheers

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo