FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Will Remote Controls Work Through Smoked Plexiglass?

Default Will Remote Controls Work Through Smoked Plexiglass?

I've got my design hat on and need to know if smoked plexi will allow remote controllers to work through it.
    I have a remote for a CD changer and a DVD player and I want to put them behind a smoked plexiglass door, will they work?

Default Re: Remote changer help

I don't see why not. I used to have a stereo cabinet that had smoked glass doors and the remote would work fine.

It's a bit of a dated look/ material IMO although clearly I haven't seen your design.
    Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'

Blog Entries

I have some remotes that if you don't point them directly at the reader they don't work. Others I can be behind walls, as long as a door is open and I'm no more than 30 feet away, work fine.

I think you should test the one(s) you have in mind for the actual application, although I would think smoked glass shouldn't be a big hurdle.
    Kevin

yes, they will work.

Default It Depends

Different remote controls use different technologies, some even use more than one so the answer is that it depends on the remote.

Most TV/Radi/DVD/CD controls use infra-red, some use radio, the Wii uses both, X11 uses radio to the base station and the power lines in the wall to control the slave units.

If possible do a test with the remote(s) you are planning to use and the units you plan to control.

Default Re: Will Remote Controls Work Through Smoked Plexiglass?

Pete: My dad had his VCR and other remote controlled stuff in a smoky plexy doored cabinet as well. Worked fine. The signal will ricochet as well. Use to drive my kids nuts from out in the dinning room, bounce the signal off the relection of the tv in the picture window. Of course they could not see me out there. What a hoot that use to be.
    Steve from Chester NS

Well I don't have any smoked plexi or glass that I can test a remote on. Tim says it's a bit dated but what are the alternatives? I don't want to see all the odd mix and match units that the doors will partially hide. We are talking a lot of 1960's Hi fi stuff (not a remote on any) and some newer video stuff all in one cabinet and I would like to hide them as much as possible. I did think of something like Old English chip glass but thought it might reflect the signals all over the place. Maybe some plain frosted might do it though.

You can get repeater ir sensors that you plug into the stereo unit and then you can mount the repeater on the exterior of the cabinet somewhere. I dont know of a source here but they are not uncommon. They are usually no bigger than about 8-10mm diameter.

Edit: I just googled ir repeater and a whole bunch of listings came up which should help you out. I can't cut n paste the links because I'm using an iphone but the digital spyder site showed kit that would allow 4 units to be controlled and could expand to 12. Price was c. Us$58

HTH
    Last edited by Tim in Milton; 02-23-2009 at 10:09 PM.
    Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'

Tim thanks. I checked it out and it looks like more cable runs and transformers so I think I'll stick with the old hat stuff. I never knew such stuff existed. What can I say, it's been a few years

I think this (suicidal) guy shoots the remotes through glass a few times.

http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...nk-387915.html

Now there's someone with a death wish