FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left Tilt or right on TS? which is better?

Question Left Tilt or right on TS? which is better?

Starting to research a large tablesaw and never really noticed left tilt blades as opposed to right tilt

Which is the most common and what's the benefit of one over the other??

Thanks
    Alan from Hamilton Ontario

Default Re: Left Tilt or right on TS? which is better?

Right tilt is safer with the fence on the right as is generally used because you can't trap a piece between the blade and the fence and experience the joy that is kickback if it jams.

Happily and woefully out of date
    ... and not buying the upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by Rizak the Really Horrible View Post
    Right tilt is safer with the fence on the right as is generally used because you can't trap a piece between the blade and the fence and experience the joy that is kickback if it jams.
    Think you got that backasswards Riz. Go left or go home...nuff said.
    Paul

Right-tilt saws are for people who like to work with the rip fence on the left side of the blade, or for weirdos.... I don't understand either genre ;)

I used to belong to a club that had cabinet saw in both flavours and I couldn't tell a difference, except for what I mentioned above (left-hand fence) .... The guys in the shop all used the right-tilter for straight ripping and did everything else on the other saw - but they just did that because that's the way it had always been done, and not because anyone knew a "reason."

One of the guys told me that IF you have a big sliding table, it's better to have a right-tilt saw because the motor and housing are on the other side. (shrug)

I hope someone out there actually knows, and answers your post: I'd like to know too, and then maybe I'll finally be able to sleep at night ;)

Cheers!

Gary

The one you like best is better. There are pros and cons to each. I've owned both, and prefer left tilt, and my primary reasoning is that the arbor nut can be threaded with my right hand and has a normal thread rotation. Right tilt requires left headed threading with a reverse orientation.

Real Name
    Michael

The only reason I have ever heard is safety when cutting on a angle with the fence to the right of blade as the wood cannot get wedged between the blade and fence. Myself I bought a left tilt.

Left Tilt, if the fence is on the right.... which it almost always is. Right tilts are the old standard, not sure why.

C
    Clint in London

Hey Alan

For what it's worth, we don't sell a RH tilt table saw 'cos everone wants LH tilt nowadays.

It's just as Riz was trying to explain, much les chance of kickback particularly for us right handed dudes that have the fence on the right hand sode of the blade.

Cheers

DaveD

I've had both. Just changed to a left tilt because that's what they sell nowadays.

His a list of differences from a WoodWeb posting:

Both saws will make all the same cuts. The differences are all in the methods of work, and what will feel natural/intuitive to you. For me, what is natural tends to be safer, which is why I bought a left-tilt Unisaw when I upgraded from a contractor's saw.

1. Commonly, the left tilt has the bevel wheel on the right side and is easily turned with your right hand. Since I'm right-handed, that's intuitively where it feels like it belongs.

2. Again intuitively, I keep the rip fence on the right side of the blade. Since my Unisaw is the left tilt version, I can rip a narrow bevel (for example on the edge of sheet goods) without having to move the fence to the left side of the blade in order to avoid trapping the cutoff against the fence, risking it becoming the proverbial "hidden arrow" should it kickback.

3. Left tilt allows the blade arbor nut to be removed with your right hand. It is also threaded in the standard fashion... again, intuitive.

4. With a left tilt, when both edges of a board are beveled, the sharp point of the bevel is up on the fence when cutting the second bevel as opposed to the bottom of the fence where it might slip under.

5. The right tilt gives you the advantage of using the rip fence distance indicator (long tape measure mounted to the fence rail) when using a stacked dado blade set. The blades stack left, away from the fence, so the indicated measurement remains accurate. On the left tilt, the blades stack toward the fence, which means that you have to factor in the thickness of the dado stack and calculate, or else measure with a tape rather than the mounted indicator.

6. A right tilting arbor allows you to remove the arbor nut with your left hand, which may feel more natural to a "southpaw," but the nut must be turned clockwise to loosen. Counter-intuitive and, therefore, can be confusing.

7. On most cabinet saws, the left tilt allows you to have access to the motor and inside the cabinet from the more open left side of the saw, avoiding the need to contort yourself under the right extension table. If you've ever dropped the arbor nut into the cabinet (I'm sure I'm the only soul who has done so), and it doesn't pop out of the dust port, this is a convenience for which you'll be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaP View Post
    Think you got that backasswards Riz. Go left or go home...nuff said.
    Yeah, left. I've got to stop drinking at work.

Happily and woefully out of date
    ... and not buying the upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by Busy Bee Tools View Post
    Hey Alan

For what it's worth, we don't sell a RH tilt table saw 'cos everone wants LH tilt nowadays.

It's just as Riz was trying to explain, much les chance of kickback particularly for us right handed dudes that have the fence on the right hand sode of the blade.

Cheers

DaveD

the confusing part is that most manufacturers will show pictures of both a LH and a RH tablesaw but will always show it with the fence on the right hand side. for BOTH models. makes it more confusing

Quote Originally Posted by aldeon View Post
    the confusing part is that most manufacturers will show pictures of both a LH and a RH tablesaw but will always show it with the fence on the right hand side. for BOTH models. makes it more confusing
    The only time that I used the fence on the left side of the blade on my right tilt Delta was when I cut bevels. Otherwise, the fence was always on the right side.

As mentioned already, the annoying part is when you use a stacked dado and the measurements get screwed up.
    Why do people keep calling me Rob?

I am right handed and my table tilts to the right. I find this very ackward as sometimes, to do something safely I need to move the fence to the left side of the blade so the wood does not get pinched. I feel it should always tilt away from the fence. Next time I will get a left tilt.

ARGGGGG What have I started LOL

and I thought the question was stupid cause I figured everyone but me knew the answer

I'm a Lefty and wasn't sure if it was directed towards lefties a little more

I want what is the standard. I don't want to be learning with one saw and then finding every other saw I get access to is the "other" style

so the answer really is various

I'm glad I asked the question, note so glad people are fighting over the "correct" answer

thanks for all the info to all you guys
    Last edited by Bill MacDonald; 03-06-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Removed Quote

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rizak the Really Horrible View Post
    Yeah, left. I've got to stop drinking at work.
    You have that problem too?

I never knew they had right tilt . I have only ever seen left .

Attn Mods:

I understand why you deleted the majority of my posts in this thread, and I thank you for doing so, as I was being an a$$.

However, I would have preferred it if you had left my sincere apology up - at least until people who are sending me hate-mail get a chance to see it.

Thank you.

Gary

P.S. I don't know why you deleted my last post in this thread: It was innocuous, informative, contained no nastiness at all, and actually answered the OP's question.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

I deleted most of the less than useful posts that were made here.

I appreciate that this is a subject that gets folks going, and it has been as far back as the forum has existed. Seems to me there is no "right" answer. I've had both left and right tilts, and prefer the left, but that's just me. Others feel differently and that's fine too.

Lets try to keep the rest of the discussion civil and on track please.

Thanks.

[quote=Gary Madore;212245]Attn Mods:

I understand why you deleted the majority of my posts in this thread, and I thank you for doing so, as I was being an a$$.

However, I would have preferred it if you had left my sincere apology up - at least until people who are sending me hate-mail get a chance to see it.

What? I'm allowed to send you hate-mail?? cool

For the record, I wasn't phased at all by anything anyone said

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Madore View Post
    Attn Mods:

Thank you.

Gary

P.S. I don't know why you deleted my last post in this thread: It was innocuous, informative, contained no nastiness at all, and actually answered the OP's question.

It didn't seem to add very much to what you had said previously Gary, that's why I deleted it. I'll leave this one so folks will know you apologized.