FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: frozen titebond glue

Default frozen titebond glue

I purchased some titebond original glue the other day and left in my truck overnight -10. it was frozen pretty solid. Is it okay to use or do toss it.
    Lorne

Default Re: frozen titebond glue

I read somewhere that "They" say you can freeze it one or two times before it goes South on you. But you have to Thaw it out before using.... Let it become ambiant with room temps.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Maybe contact Titebond folks and ask the question.

I had some lapages about 1 month old,,, left it in the shop..( Garage) It froze so I took it in the house to unthaw,never really came back to the original consistancy... Glued up a few pieces of oak scraps, for around 20 hrs. and I could snap it apart easy...TOSSED it...
    Thx..Ric ...
    Peterborough

Sorry but its garbage. Freezing it changed the chemistry and it wouldn't go back.

FYI,
    Watchout for small woodworking supply stores that shut off heat during off hours. I have had bad glue that way
    Grillzy

Quote Originally Posted by Grillzy View Post
    FYI,
    Watchout for small woodworking supply stores that shut off heat during off hours. I have had bad glue that way
    Grillzy

Wait a minute, there are retailers that turn off the heating at night ? I don't think I've ever met anyone with such a makeshift operation. In anycase, even if they turn the heat off at night, does the temp. in the store reach sub zero temps ?

Munch

I took Rick's advice and contacted the folks at titebond and there reply was that titebond original could take 5-6 freeze thaw cycles but would need to be stirred well after thawing.
    Lorne

You can't use frozen glue!

Unless you thaw it first!

Max
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

Another question comes to mind, the cost of the glue is minimal to the cost of woods and your labor so my thought would be to "Back shelf" it for something un important and buy fresh.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Another question comes to mind, the cost of the glue is minimal to the cost of woods and your labor so my thought would be to "Back shelf" it for something un important and buy fresh.
    Bill makes a good point about the cost of material and the worth of your time. If I could suggest anything, consider it a lesson learned and and give it the punishment it deserves for freezing on you. Send it to the trash can.

Seriously, the first time you use it and it ruins your work , you will walk away while throwing it out and feeling pretty stupid for not doing so before. Count your losses and get a fresh bottle. My .02.
    Last edited by Kevin in Keswick; 03-23-2009 at 09:48 PM.
    SPCHT

Proud member since Oct '06

Quote Originally Posted by woodchips1953 View Post
    I took Rick's advice and contacted the folks at titebond and there reply was that titebond original could take 5-6 freeze thaw cycles but would need to be stirred well after thawing.
    Lorne
    I guess in that case, maybe it is worth experimenting with a bit but I would still only keep it for a back shelf item.
    SPCHT

Proud member since Oct '06

The correct answer, as given above, is that it can undergo several freeze/thaw cycles. Lee Valley faces the same issue with their glues, as they presume it may become frozen when shipped in winter. The only question for you to answer for yourself, is how many times do you think the glue was frozen before you purchased it???

Charles (who uses glue as an excuse to keep his shop warm in winter)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    ...my thought would be to "Back shelf" it for something un important and buy fresh.
    I agree to use fresh.
    I don't agree however with keeping it for something un-important....(I am a reforming pack-rat so I couldn't resist commenting). Nothing that I make is an 'unimportant' thing that I don't mind falling apart at an unopportune time.
    Therefore, the previously frozen bottle is best just thrown in the garbage lest it tie up valuble space in the back of the cupboard.
    -------
    Cheers,
    --Rick

Quote Originally Posted by woodchips1953 View Post
    Lorne
    All you guys who are throwing out your glue after one freezing, please send it to me. I'll save lots of money on glue.