FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: 3 wheel band saw

Default 3 wheel band saw

I have a 3 wheel band saw circa 1889. Its a busy bee model b324 and i just bought it used and the saw band keeps sliding off the wheels. Any tips or does any one have a manual

Adam Thorpe Pickering

Default Re: 3 wheel band saw

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Thorpe View Post
    I have a 3 wheel band saw circa 1889. Its a busy bee model b324 and i just bought it used and the saw band keeps sliding off the wheels. Any tips or does any one have a manual

Adam Thorpe Pickering
    You're in for a treat. :-/ 3 wheel band saws are notoriously hard to track. Normally two wheels are stationary and the third is adjustable. The first thing to check is to make sure that all three wheels are on good spindles with no wobble or play. Remove the blade (it's probably off, anyway ) and check each wheel. If you try to wiggle it by hand, does it wiggle? If you spin it and watch the edge do you see any run-out, or does it spin true? If they all seem to spin true then what you need to do first is to use a straight-edge to get all of the wheels in the same plane, then put on the blade and run it slowly by hand, watching to see if it starts to track poorly. Try adjusting the tracking to settle it down. There are a LOT of factors involved so it's very hard to describe how to do the whole job, but start with that and see how it goes.
    Mike in Orangeville, ON
    http://ifonlyyouwood.blogspot.com/

SPCHT

I have a 3 wheel band saw circa 1889.
    That should be a museum piece!

Real Name
    J.P.

I had one of those years ago and had the same problem. Once set up it's adequate for small, light duty jobs but that's about it. As soon as you put any force on the blade (thick stock or tight curves) that's it. When I say thick I mean 1" Max.

Good luck
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

I have a little Craftsman BS that has the 3 wheels. I have trouble keeping wider blades (3/8") on the wheels, but the narrower blades aren't a problem. When I get my new 14" BS, I'm gonna keep this one set up with a 1/8" blade on it just for tight curves on thin wood.
    J.P. generally your right about thicker wood, however I succesfully "resawed" 2" thick purple heart with a brand new 3/8" blade from R&D. I was so impressed that it could do that. I cut about 15 or so pieces of 1/8" thick slices, for future inlay work.
    So it can be done.
    Unfortunately my saw, like many of these little 3 wheel BS's, mine is very limited in adjustabilty, so I can't true the wheels. I'm sure one day they'll get so bad that the whole saw will be junk.

HTH

Ryan
    Formerly known as "Ryan in Edmonton "

GALLERY OF PROJECTS: http://lumberjocks.com/galleries/Boomr99#

Thanks for the tips it will come in handy. Does any one no of a good bench top band saw or a smaller band saw that works well for doing hard core jobs?

thanks again
    Adam In Pickering

o dam i ment 1989 hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Thorpe View Post
    Does any one no of a good bench top band saw or a smaller band saw that works well for doing hard core jobs?
    I think that these are mutually exclusive functions. Generally, a 14" or larger bandsaw would be needed for hard core/heavy duty tasks, while a small bench-top BS is convenient and suitable for light duty tasks. The "standard" BS (if such a thing truly exists) for a home shop is something like a 14" BS from Craftsman/Delta/Steel City/Ridgid/GI, equipped with a 3/4 to 1.5 HP motor, and often with a riser block. This will give you 6"-8" resaw capacity, or 12" with a riser block, and have adequate power to not make your life miserable.