FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Wanting a non-yellowing & non-darkening finish for pine doors

Default Wanting a non-yellowing & non-darkening finish for pine doors

Hi all, I've read many different forums and have done extensive research on the internet with not much luck. I'm trying to find the answer to a question I've seen posted a few times before but have never really seen a clear and definitive answer to...

What product(s) will provide a waterproof and durable satin finish on solid white pine interior doors that will not darken or change the colour too yellow/ orange. Preferably ones that are easy to apply and won't require too much future maintenance. I also do not want a plastic looking finish.

I've read that water-based varathanes, ie. Diamond Varathane, produces such a finish. I've also seen reference to some overseas products that aren't really in the Canadian market.

Anybody that has experience with pine and knows the answer to this will get my koodos! Cheers!

Default Re: Wanting a non-yellowing & non-darkening finish for pine doors

Waterproof as in exterior or moisture rest. as in kitchen/bath?

I've use the satin waterbased diamond varathane on cedar in my bathroom and I am really pleased with the results. it dries hard and apparently cures over a few days, if you want to see what the finished result look like just take a damp rag or sponge and wipe the pine down, it really does not impart an amber tinge like oil based varathanes, I don't know about exposure to sunlight as mine is in the bathroom.
    Best Regards
    Pete

Emery Village in Toronto (401 and Weston)

Your research to date is correct.
    A waterbased acrylic will produce a clear non yellowing finish...and you can select the sheen you require (gloss, satin, whatever).

Know that over time (years) the wood itself tends to darken and beige somewhat (its called "aging" and is a natural process)....this is unavoidable and, short of refinishing it with plenty of sanding there is nothing you can do about that except come to terms with it and decide you like it, build another one or buy another house.
    Your choice.

regards
    Julian

I used Varathane's satin water-base finish on the maple raised panel cupboard doors and facing I installed about 7 or 8 years ago, specifically because we liked the natural colour. The maple trim around the window was finished the same, and the nail holes filled with a filler that matched the finish exactly at the time. Over the years, each filled nail hole appears white in contrast to the slightly yellowed maple finish. As Julian pointed out, I believe this is the "aging" process. The doors still look clear, and if it wasn't for the contrasting nail holes, I wouldn't notice the difference.

Note that I made this change because the former pine doors that I had built, maybe 10 years or so earlier, and finished with a Varathane oil poly had turned a dark yellow over the years.

...Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post

I've read that water-based varathanes, ie. Diamond Varathane, produces such a finish. I've also seen reference to some overseas products that aren't really in the Canadian market.
    toddles!

As others have said, pine will develop a really nice amber/honey tone with age, and if you don't want the finish to obscure this by turning darker then avoid shellac, NC lacquer and oil based polyurethanes.
    If you don't want a plastic look, then you need to avoid most of the "off the shelf" waterbased products.
    There are a great many finishes out there that will do what you want, but your choice depends on how you are set up to apply them. Do you have spray equipment? Do you have a spray booth?
    I will assume that "easy to apply" means you want a brush or pad on finish, which limits you to waterbased.
    I build and finish pine furniture and have found that a finish that has a slight amber tone to it brings out the chattoyance and grain features extremely well. Sometimes the results are surprising. My "go to" finish is a solvent based, post catalysed conversion varnish, but I have had excellent results with Fuhr 255 and Target's Hybrivar (now called EM2000), both waterbased. These finishes do not change colour over time, but also do not detract from the aging process. I think you will find either will get you where you want and are superior to Diamond Varathane in all respects. The Fuhr is hard to get in Canada, but depending on where you live, Target finishes are more readily available.
    As a matter of interest, what are the "overseas products" you referred to?

Good luck....................Paul

Also look for products with good uv inhibition. Uv is essentially what causes the wood to darken over time.
    Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'