FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haussmann Xpert at Rona

1. Default Haussmann Xpert at Rona

Hi All,

I was in my local Rona yesterday and noticed a new line of tools called Haussmann Xpert. Here's a link to the offerings:

https://shop.rona.ca/shop/haussmann-...wer-tools_shop

They also have another line called Haussman:

https://shop.rona.ca/shop/haussmann_power-tools_shop

Most interesting to me are:

18" wide belt sander fo r$999 - has one open end so you can do a 36" wide piece.
    6"x48" belt / 9"disc sander for $249 (no stand)

They also have a very nice looking 13" planer with cutterhead lock, built in chip extraction and preset depth stops. It sold for $499. I guess if I was in the market for a planer and had $499 I'd get the Dewalt 735 from BB.

I hope the brand does well. I had a chance to play with some of the machines and they seem very robust.

Cheers,

Al

Default Re: Haussmann Xpert at Rona

I spent a couple of hours in Rona yesterday and noticed the Haussmann items. I had never really given them a second look before but once I took the time it seemed to me that they appeared to have a nice weight, dimensions and proportions. I have no idea about how good the product line actually is - I don't know anyone who owns any Haussmann stuff. The price suggests that it's on par with DeWalt. I like the colours they've used and the overall feel.
    Anyone see a review or have any experience with these yet?

I don't know why someone would go with an unknown rather than a tried and true name like Dewalt for the same amount of money. There just isn't the amount of reviews and referrals the other brands offer. Only time will tell.
    Why do people keep calling me Rob?

Real Name
    Hutch

looks like re badged Black and Darker type stuff

I'd never buy a tool where parts and service availability down the road would be questionable. If it were for one big project and the tool considered disposable after... then maybe worth considering.
    Having said that, I can't afford disposable tools so I buy as best that I can afford and pay a bit more upfront.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Toronto View Post
    Hi All,

I was in my local Rona yesterday and noticed a new line of tools called Haussmann Xpert. Here's a link to the offerings:

https://shop.rona.ca/shop/haussmann-...wer-tools_shop

They also have another line called Haussman:

https://shop.rona.ca/shop/haussmann_power-tools_shop

Most interesting to me are:

18" wide belt sander fo r$999 - has one open end so you can do a 36" wide piece.
    6"x48" belt / 9"disc sander for $249 (no stand)

They also have a very nice looking 13" planer with cutterhead lock, built in chip extraction and preset depth stops. It sold for $499. I guess if I was in the market for a planer and had $499 I'd get the Dewalt 735 from BB.

I hope the brand does well. I had a chance to play with some of the machines and they seem very robust.

Cheers,

Al
    Small possible correction:
    When I punch in my postal code - Newmarket, Ontario, and "Hausmann" in the search field in the Rona website, the 13" planer comes up with a $429 price

https://shop.rona.ca/shop/cutting-to...wer-tools_shop

I haven't yet seen the Haussmann badged line but have had a good experience with Rona's 90 day return policy...... it will be interesting to eventually get some user reports from people who take the plunge.....

...just don't be impressed because of the implication from the name that the line was made in or engineered in Germany...from their website, Rona is a public company with early roots in Quebec: why not find something in that history that to find a name for the line.....

good luck

michael

You are not gonna get a DW735 from Busy Bee for $499.The current sale price is $599.
    I went through pricing planers 2 weeks ago.I even looked at this RONA product but there is as yet not enough info around to even consider that planer.I settled on the DW734 from BB for $429. and i am happy i did.....

Phil in Buckingham.

oh, most of that stuff has been around for awhile. It has been re-badged under hitachi, craftsman, BB, King, etc. in different incarnations. Not easy to cross-reference for parts, though, unless you know it by sight

Real Name
    A.B. Normal

Quote Originally Posted by michaely View Post
    from their website, Rona is a public company with early roots in Quebec: why not find something in that history that to find a name for the line.....

good luck

michael
    Poitras

Regards, Rod.

Saw some of these tools a couple of days ago in Rona. They did seem fairly well built however I have to agree with another poster that I would look into servicability and reliability on this line. I guess its a new line that ROna now has so I also hope it does well. Canadian company afterall! For the same price point i would look to DeWalt for planers though. I have a DW735 and couldnt be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob R., Ottawa View Post
    I don't know why someone would go with an unknown rather than a tried and true name like Dewalt for the same amount of money. There just isn't the amount of reviews and referrals the other brands offer. Only time will tell.
    Why do people blindly follow companies slike Dewalt who are completely out of touch with their customers? I gave up on them after several tool failures.

Quote Originally Posted by lashing View Post
    Why do people blindly follow companies slike Dewalt who are completely out of touch with their customers? I gave up on them after several tool failures.
    You're kinda doing the same thing, only in reverse .

Dewalt may not the be all and end all but they have some great products.

One's that I've used a bunch that I really like:

Jobsite tablesaw, trim compressor, tough circular saws, bomber mitre saws.

I actually think they are fairly responsive to providing innovative tools, all the following were significant at the time even if some were realeased on the coat tails of other manufactures:

Track saw, both planers, all their tablesaws, the big mitre saw.

At least as much as any other North American based company.

Matt
    Last edited by matt in golden; 04-20-2010 at 12:18 AM.
    SPCHT

Real Name
    Steve Morris

so has anybody bought any of this stuff?

and what are your reaction to them?
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

To my eyes the haussmann planer looks like the Craftsman 13" sears was/is selling. The motor assembly looks identical. Dont know if is is the same unit but the Craftsman got a bad rap for breakdowns. Looking at the locations of other parts I'd say its the Craftsman ... which is made by Ryobi I think? Certainly not german engineered. Just cause its called hausmann doesnt make it German. Its China.

Always a gamble wiith this stuff as even with the Rigid 13" you'll notice they are making them a bit cheaper now. I've heard people complain the motor bogs down easily on new ones.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by matt in golden View Post
    You're kinda doing the same thing, only in reverse .

Dewalt may not the be all and end all but they have some great products.

One's that I've used a bunch that I really like:

Jobsite tablesaw, trim compressor, tough circular saws, bomber mitre saws.

I actually think they are fairly responsive to providing innovative tools, all the following were significant at the time even if some were realeased on the coat tails of other manufactures:

Track saw, both planers, all their tablesaws, the big mitre saw.

At least as much as any other North American based company.

Matt
    I too have owned the tools in bold, and have been very happy with them, with the exception that the circ saw I had did not hold up well. I just bought the 618 router kit and it is great, used it a bunch doing mortising yesterday. I am also looking at selling by Bosch 12" sliding miter saw because it is just too big for shop only use, and buying the DeWalt 12" one. They do have some lemons though, but wise purchase comparisons will weed that out.

I have not seen the Haussmann offerings, I rarely look at tools in Rona, but will check them out the next time I am in.
    JIM
    Calgary, AB

A couple of weeks ago I went into the new Rona in Aurora (Ontario) and did a quick scan of some of the Haussman badged items. I spent all of fifteen seconds looking at the thickness planer and was "not impressed"; thin stamped metal and rough forging.........

but on the Rona website today I did see an interesting 'new' tool with a Haussmann label, a "flooring saw"....

http://www.rona.ca/shop/~saw-5-in.-f...wer-tools_shop

I googled 'flooring saw' and came up with a new offering by Skil of a flooring saw, model #3600 and the Haussmann is of the same design (but with a different sized blade and arbour)...... I'll start a new thread titled 'skil flooring saw' as the topic is different

good luck

michael
    Last edited by michaely; 04-23-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling

The Haussman 18 inch drum sander looks almost the same as the Craftsman - the switch is in a different place and the stand is a little different but the machine looks to be the same. Haussman is $999 and Craftsman $1399 (the length of the url is beyond belief)

Don't know which is better - I lost interest in Craftsman a long time ago after a number of tool failures and virtually ignore their stuff now.

http://www.sears.ca/catalog/stationary-sanders/1101633

https://shop.rona.ca/shop/~drum-sand...0ARkSsZg%3D%3D
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Quote Originally Posted by lashing View Post
    you mean when they packed TEN premium quality nanotech 18x650 mm cells and a circuit board into a pod-style battery so people don't get stuck with 2 decades worth of tools that aren't compatible with new batteries?

Makita, Bosch and others ditched their old tool lines.

Are you aware that manufacturing cost of dewalt's li-ion battery is 3x compared to makita (and anybody else for that matter) but it costs nearly the same in retail? ($149 cad for DW and $119-139 for Makita).

Are you aware I can still buy parts for old Delta drill presses or 24v NiCad batteries and tools, where as Makita already stopped making parts for some 2006 LXT tools?

Are you aware you can comment on individual tools and ask Dewalt questions right on their website, where only other manufacturer - Ridgid has *user* forums, where Ridgid reps pretty much never respond. Have you seen official Makita or Festool or Bosch or Grizzly or whatever forums? No?

That's right. Dewalt listens to user base. They have trade shows in EU and US all the time.

In case anyone wonders:

ROlland Dansereau and NApoleon Piotte

Wow looks like a Dewalt dealer has lots to say. After both my batteries for a Dewault drill died within 3 months and getting the runaround I gave up on them. Of course I also witnessed the 735 planer roller fiasca around the same time. Talk is cheap. In my experience the tools are hit and miss and the company doesnt care. Plus the prices are soaring. That was my real world experience. I also notice the magazines that rate the 735 highly have lots of Dewalt ads. Business is business and talk is talk. This attitude from the above poster doesnt make me want to buy Dewalt - very agro and without substance. Gee they attend trade shows - well thats settles it (sarcasm) they must listen ... I was told from a dewalt dealer that they were dropping the line for one reason and I quote "they dont listen and are out of touch"

Anyway I had a good look at the Huassman planer today since I just finished bench testing so many others and was curious. Unfortuantely I couldnt see it work but it looks very simular to a few other planers. Had my test still been ongoing I may have been able to convince the publisher to let me buy it for testing (real consumer test - all planers are bought not given or loaned). Rona does not stock knives. They say they can order them. So others here have been on the money with hesitation. I am sure it takes knives readily available but until they stock them its pretty hard to take them seriously. The cutter head looks alot like Craftsman and the General 13". All these are made in China of course. The motor specs were pretty good and it appeared solid. The carriage lock looked useless. In and out tables are very short. Rona had a teen working the tool section who didnt know anything about it. Not many Haussman tools were on display. they had jointers in boxes and a 10" table saw that didnt look very good at all but it was really cheap at $238 I think so I cant make sense of where this line is supposed to fall.