FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: wkshp lighting.

Default wkshp lighting.

I just bought four T8 fluorescent fixtures for the workshop. They give great light to work by there's one problem though; both Tv's upstairs are getting snow storm interferance. I've tried plugging into different cicuits but no change. They've got electronic ballasts & from what i've Googled I can buy an anti interferance unit for each light for around $20 which basically doubles the cost of the fixtures. I haven't priced up an isolating transfomer yet because this is starting to look like a lot of the "bargains" I usually end up with . The lighting is great but i'm getting a lot of EXTRA flack from the "old lady", who reeaally needs a hobby. If anyone's dealt with this problem I'd appreciate some help. Guess where the fixtures are made !
    Paul W.

Real Name
    J.P.

Default Re: wkshp lighting.

I don't have that problem but could you put a filter on the TV rather than each of the lights?
    Just a thought.
    Last edited by J.P. Rap; 07-14-2009 at 01:27 AM.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woodrow View Post
    I just bought four T8 fluorescent fixtures for the workshop. They give great light to work by there's one problem though; both Tv's upstairs are getting snow storm interferance. I've tried plugging into different cicuits but no change. They've got electronic ballasts & from what i've Googled I can buy an anti interferance unit for each light for around $20 which basically doubles the cost of the fixtures. I haven't priced up an isolating transfomer yet because this is starting to look like a lot of the "bargains" I usually end up with . The lighting is great but i'm getting a lot of EXTRA flack from the "old lady", who reeaally needs a hobby. If anyone's dealt with this problem I'd appreciate some help. Guess where the fixtures are made !

You did not tell us anything about the house. You can't troubleshoot this in isolation.

However, it sounds like bad grounding. Is this an older house?

We just paid about $50 each for several T8 fixtures -- and bought some daylight bulbs. Great lights -- no electrical noise.
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

I'm getting a lot of EXTRA flack from the "old lady", who reeaally needs a hobby. If anyone's dealt with this problem I'd appreciate some help.
    I'd suggest she try pie baking as a hobby. Maybe beer making. Let me know how that goes.

Happily and woefully out of date
    ... and not buying the upgrade!

When I did my shop I put the cheapest T8 fixture in that I could find which happened to be at Wal-Mart. I know, I know, that's a heck of a place to buy lighting but they work great. They start in the cold, no hum, no electrical noise, were dirt cheap, maybe $15 or $16 each. Probably the best purchase I've ever made at Wal-Mart.

Is it to late to take them back? It would be worth checking the ground connection. Not just visually but actually run a wire from the fixture to the panel. Just lay it across the floor to test to see if it helps. The TV filter might work too.

I'm thinking you don't have cable or it would be a non-issue. If your using an antenna with flat cable make sure the flat cable is well away from any electrical conductors and if excess cable is looped up that could amplify any noise.

Maybe the wife could take up electrical engineering as a hobby and solve the problem herself! Good luck!
    Last edited by Claude in Kitchener; 07-14-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude in Kitchener View Post
    When I did my shop I put the cheapest T8 fixture in that I could find which happened to be at Wal-Mart. I know, I know, that's a heck of a place to buy lighting but they work great. They start in the cold, no hum, no electrical noise, were dirt cheap, maybe $15 or $16 each. Probably the best purchase I've ever made at Wal-Mart.

Is it to late to take them back? It would be worth checking the ground connection. Not just visually but actually run a wire from the fixture to the panel. Just lay it across the floor to test to see if it helps. The TV filter might work too.

I'm thinking you don't have cable or it would be a non-issue. If your using an antenna with flat cable make sure the flat cable is well away from any electrical conductors and if excess cable is looped up that could amplify any noise.

Maybe the wife could take up electrical engineering as a hobby and solve the problem herself! Good luck!

We bought some of the cheaper fixtures too -- they are all in the garbage now.

We moved the bulbs to the new fixtures.

...And as for EE as a hobby? The exams are really irritataing when you are treating it as a hobby -- and the yearly fees are a drag. Maybe nuclear physicist...
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by willr View Post
    We bought some of the cheaper fixtures too -- they are all in the garbage now.
    I've had mine for about four years without a single problem. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Thank's for all the suggestions guys, Except for Claude, re a hobby for my bride . It's been very quiet in the house since I floated the suggestions for beer or pie making. ( Very good suggestions I thought !!) But the redemption is ----- although I am on cable, there was a five foot loop quiet near to the light fixtures. Rerouted it & no more snow. All advice very welcome Claude; except the marital kind .
    Paul W.

All advice very welcome Claude; except the marital kind .
    Well, you know what they say about free advice, it's worth every penny you pay for it.

Glad we could help.
    Claude

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, great minds discuss ideas.”
    Admiral Hyman Rickover

What is the difference between the old 48" fluorescent tubes and the new T8? If you can pardon a stupid question........
    It ain't the things you don't know that get you in trouble. It's the things you know for sure that just ain't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene45 View Post
    What is the difference between the old 48" fluorescent tubes and the new T8? If you can pardon a stupid question........
    The old ones are actually T12s but no ever called them that until the T8s came out. The T8s are smaller in diameter and more efficient. More light output using less power.
    Claude

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, great minds discuss ideas.”
    Admiral Hyman Rickover