FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varathane Diamond Wood finish

Default Varathane Diamond Wood finish

Has anyone ever used this stuff, and if so, any comments on it?

Default Re: Varathane Diamond Wood finish

Quote Originally Posted by hwgill View Post
    If you mean this...
    http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=70

It's the top coat on this desk.
    http://woodwork.pmccl.com/images/hir...desk_tray1.JPG
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Nope, the stuff I have is in a 1 g container, it's white and then cures clear. Satin finish.

Doesn't show up on their website either. Got it from HD.

If you mean this stuff: http://www.woodanswers.com/Product_C...rod=83&rcddr=2 I've used it on a few projects a while back. it's just thier brand of watrer based polyurethane and goes on milky and dries clear. I'm not a fan because I happen to like the amber tint you get from oil based finishes. I think this leaves the wood looking too white IMHO.

Blaine
    "Congratulations. You've just figured out the most complicated way to hold a board 30 inches off the floor."
    Tage Frid

The label is similar, and it says that it is a non-yellowing finish. But I guess they could have changed the labels.

Nope, the stuff I have is in a 1 g container, it's white and then cures clear. Satin finish.

Doesn't show up on their website either. Got it from HD.

That's it -- you just have to click on the size block -- not that obvious I guess.
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine in Kitchener View Post
    I'm not a fan because I happen to like the amber tint you get from oil based finishes. I think this leaves the wood looking too white IMHO.
    I've been using Flecto Varathane waterbased diamond finish on projects for over 10 years. So far I stick with a foam brush. I'm quite satisfied with it.

Blaine is right that it is very clear. If I don't want that, then I may first put on a light coat of shellac to get the amber that I want, and then continue with the varathane.

I work in a basement shop, which is of course not the best for ventilation, so I really appreciate how this waterbased finish is very mild in terms of odour. (I forget if it is "officially" low-voc on the label, but it sure doesn't stink too bad)

I write more about my experience with this finish in this thread (scroll down a bit)

And here is a thread with a dresser I built that had flecto varathan put on over a coat of shellac.
    It's not about you.

I tried it. I wasn't very happy with it but I recognize that a good chunk of my displeasure may have been of my own doing.

Like Blaine said, it is a pretty lifeless finish - it's a real clear coat. I also had issues with bubbles related partly to the age of the container I had (a year I think) and my choice of brush and technique (or lack thereof). That said, when I bought a can of Minwax water based poly, I had much better success. Next time I'm going to try to buy something a little higher end (Target maybe?) to try and see if I can tell the difference again.

I do like the fact that these water based finishes don't smell and dry fast, but I generally get more satisfaction with solvent based poly or shellac. I hope I can one day find a water based alternative that I like.

Kerry

I don't use it, but this guy did

http://www.phoenixwood.ca/forum/inde...showtopic=1717

Paul

Real Name
    J.P.

I've used it a number of times. I like it but I spray it rather than brush it on. It sprays very nice right out of the can.
    There are some projects I don't mind a water clear coating on but others I want the amber tone so I'll use an oil base.
    I've tried tinting it with earth tones and it does help in some cases but it's not the same as the warm tone you get from oil based.
    FWIW
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Emery Village in Toronto (401 and Weston)

Concerning the link in Paul O's post - about that fellow who made the nice looking bed to which he applied 2 coats of the water based Varathane finish over a coat of Danish oil....

I note he put the water based coating over an oil finish....!!!! apparently with no barrier or sealer coat like dewaxed shellac in between...he is one brave chap!.
    This is not something I would suggest (or even do) unless the Danish oil had been drying for about a year.

Even then....it sort of like putting your hand in the dog's mouth to see if it bites.

Very risky methinks and not good coating practice as a rule of thumb.

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post

I note he put the water based coating over an oil finish....!!!! apparently with no barrier or sealer coat like dewaxed shellac in between...he is one brave chap!.
    This is not something I would suggest (or even do) unless the Danish oil had been drying for about a year.

Very risky methinks and not good coating practice as a rule of thumb.
    The gentleman in question sprayed the wb finish. In my experience this makes a huge difference because the first coat can be applied very thin, almost like a dry spray (a "tack" coat) and this sticks to pretty much anything. The next coat sticks to the tack coat.
    In my experience 48hrs is usually enough dry time, provided that the oil has been wiped down really well. After initial wipe down immediately after application, I will wipe down again with a clean dry cloth after about 12 and 24 hrs just to make sure and keep the piece in a warm area with good air circulation.

If you brush or wipe on the wb the chances of finish failure are extremely high as the first coat is too thick and won't stick. If you don't let the oil fully dry, then you will, as Julian's analogy points out, get "bitten". Guaranteed.

Here are some old doors from a beautiful old house near MacMaster University that I stripped the paint off about 7 yrs ago, and after cleaning up as best I could, applied a coat of BLO to the panel, then coated with Target's WB Varnish (now called EM2000). No sealer, just a tack coat, light wet coat, scuff with 320, then full wet coat.

Regards....................Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have used this product with decent results. Watch out though it isn't self leveling like its oil based counterpart so be extra careful to lay an even coat or you will be unhappy with the results. I personally would recommend and oil based product. I only used water based as my customer requested it. In the future however I will try and push for the oil based, I do not feel that water based are up to par yet.. or my skill level, whichever one it may be.

I have used it quite a bit over a long period of time, both as a clear finish on wood and over oil based stains or oils, there have been no problems with the combination.

I have used both exterior and interior. I can't say exterior lasts forever.

I have had some issues with bubbles in the finish and I'm not sure if that is my fault or not. My latest projects used "brush-on" stuff for a couple of coats, sand or steel wool and add some wipe on poly for the final coat(s).

I have even diluted they regular stuff to make my 'wipe on' coat, but real wipe on poly is better.
    It ain't the things you don't know that get you in trouble. It's the things you know for sure that just ain't so.

I have used it a lot in the past and will use it in the future as well. I did have bubble problems once, and I know it was my fault as the intructions on the can state DO NOT SHAKE but stir if nessasary Hope this helps, Good Luck with your finish.
    Lloyd

When I built new maple raised panel cupboard doors for our kitchen (including refacing the cupboard frames), I used it because we wanted to retain the natural, almost white finish on the maple. Contrary to the claims, it does yellow a bit over the years. I filled the nail holes on the maple window frame with a filler that perfectly matched the wood finish at the time. Now, after 7 or 8 years, the nails holes need to be refilled since they look white in relation to the cupboards. The kitchen faces north so it's not like it gets a lot of sun to cause yellowing.

As mentioned above, I prefer a quality sponge brush (not the cheap, porous ones sold in a lot of places).

...Wayne

As a side note on the clear colour of some wb vs their solvent counterpart, just have your paint supplier add a touch of yellow to your finish. this will give you the amber colour you are more familiar with. We do this regularily for customers who feel the wb is too stark and not very warm.

I use it a lot. I have no complaints. It is a very durable finish. I've used it on my outfeed table, peppermills, furniture, you name it!

C
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clint in London

A lot of good info here already.

Foam brush, don't shake it, dries fast, doesn't yellow (very much), low "stink", can look a little lifeless but that all depends on the wood you're finishing and the look you want.

It's a finish you can turn to when you need this specific look. After all, no one finish is perfect.

Anyone that has used and could comment on this one:

http://www.rustoleum.ca/CBGProduct.asp?pid=172

(available at Rona)?

Nap.