FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: How would you go about painting letters on this old fire extinguisher

Default How would you go about painting letters on this old fire extinguisher

Hello all,

I was wondering if any one of the many talented woodworkers here knows of a good way to paint this fire extinguisher to get it back to somewhat original condition.

Originally, I was going to polish this sucker to a super high gloss, but I kind of like the way it looks now. The problem is that I have no idea how I'm going to paint the red and black backgrounds of the letters.

Any ideas or insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

here's the before and after pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oshawa but for some it's a place close to their hearts!

Default Re: How would you go about painting letters on this old fire extinguisher

I'd use either rubber brush on masking or air brush film. The rubber masking agent can be trimmed with a scalpel and of course the air brush masking film is so thin that the slightest touch of the scalpel will cut it to shape. Both are better than trying to use masking or even pin stripe tape. I'd paint the background using an air brush though. That way you'll get more control over the spray especially around the masks. You can build it a lot slower than using cans or a gun.
    www.sppss.com
    "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" Sign outside our Pentecostal church.

Default Re: How would you go about painting letters on this old fire extinguisher

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    I'd use either rubber brush on masking or air brush film. The rubber masking agent can be trimmed with a scalpel and of course the air brush masking film is so thin that the slightest touch of the scalpel will cut it to shape. Both are better than trying to use masking or even pin stripe tape. I'd paint the background using an air brush though. That way you'll get more control over the spray especially around the masks. You can build it a lot slower than using cans or a gun.
    Thanks for the advice. Can i get this rubber brush on masking at crappy tire?

I don't have an airbrush and I don't think I'll pull out my airless sprayer for this so cans it is. lol

I suspect that the original was done by painting the whole surface and then sanding off the paint on the raised lettering.
    Mike in Orangeville, ON
    http://ifonlyyouwood.blogspot.com/

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Graham View Post
    I suspect that the original was done by painting the whole surface and then sanding off the paint on the raised lettering.
    That's what I thought....either that or silk screened.

I'm no expert on silk-screening, but when I've seen it done it was always on flat items. I imagine you could use a brush of sorts to push the screen down into the hollows between the letters.... Yeah, that very well could have been how they did it.
    Mike in Orangeville, ON
    http://ifonlyyouwood.blogspot.com/

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Graham View Post
    I'm no expert on silk-screening, but when I've seen it done it was always on flat items. I imagine you could use a brush of sorts to push the screen down into the hollows between the letters.... Yeah, that very well could have been how they did it.

There are presses that will do cylindrical items. I think that was spray on -- wipe off the raised lettering though.
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Well, I couldn't find that rubber film stuff at crappy tire so I opted for painting and then sanding the letters. It didn't turn out quite aswell as I'd hoped but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

The red paint needs another coat and I plan on cleaning up the letters, but other than that it's done. I think I might wait until tomorrow to lacquer it; right now the copper is just too pink for my liking.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oshawa but for some it's a place close to their hearts!

Been in T.O. most the arvo so sorry I wasn't here to answer your question about the rubber mask. You can buy it at hobby stores and art supply stores. It's mostly used for air brush masking in areas and over areas where it's either impossible or very difficult to apply regular masking film or tape. You brush it on in light coats - usually two - and keep changing the brush as it dries very quickly.
    www.sppss.com
    "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" Sign outside our Pentecostal church.

Real Name
    J.P.

Looks great.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Real Name
    Steve

This is way after the fact of the thread but they were silk screened - my dad used to do silk screening and gold leaf lettering as a trade before WWII and after until c. 1950.

The experts on Antique Road show are specific in pointing out that while "restoring" antiques is marvelous, it decimates their value if that is of importance to the owner, when the aged patina is removed.