FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Rough Sawn Lumber and Plywood Suppliers

Default Rough Sawn Lumber and Plywood Suppliers

Gents, has anyone purchased material from Decor Mouldings in Mississauga or Unicorn Universal Woods by Downsview airport. I typically purchase materials from Century Mill, but I am looking for other alternatives. I am aware of Oliver and Peakcock as well. I'm just looking for feedback (service, quality and material availability) from DM and UUW.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Rough Sawn Lumber and Plywood Suppliers

Hi, jesus.
    I started the search for 5/4 butternut thread last week and have pretty much hit everyone in the province, some in the states and one in Vancouver. Unicorn never returned my email. In todays market it's all about customer service. Try Cedar Creek Sawmill and Tree farm outside Cambridge. Wayne Hickey 1-519-621-7780. Was a recommendation thru this forum and I think he's the sort of mill we should support 100%. I called him late afternoon, he returned the call first thing next day. Very accomodating.
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

Phone Unicorn. I am amazed they have a website, they are pretty behind the technology times but there product is top notch.

Re.: Unicorn Universal Woods
    It has been several years since I have purchased anything from them. Most of my purchases were large veneers, but I also had them make a custom butcherblock counter. The quality of the material I purchased was good, but itís not cheap

At one time they were located directly across the street from Lee Valley on Steeles Avenue. I believe their primary business is in butcherblock and flooring.

Have you considered Robert Bury for Plywoods?

Real Name
    yup its Greg

Hi Jesus, I recently purchased flooring from Unicorn and found the service very accomodating and fairly priced but I agree that they seem to be mostly into flooring these days. I have also purchased from Oliver which I found a little daunting but doable. Certainly they have the stock and selection and will accomodate your small order but they are steup for bigger sales (think truckload) and may look at you "sideways" when you order, say, 200 brd ft. I have also purchased from Century Mill and found them very accomodating (they helped me search through a pile for the pieces I wanted) although sometimes pricey.

Just posted a comment on a different thread that a database for wood suppliers would be great along with forum member feedback. Also a Century Mill customer, but
    maybe the same issue - always pretty pricey vs. Peacock, but recently sense their quality has dropped and their shorts selection has gone from short to microscopic.
    Last time I was there a couple of weeks ago the shorts section looked like they had cut their "crap" normal lenghts in half and moved them to shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I started the search for 5/4 butternut thread last week and have pretty much hit everyone in the province, some in the states and one in Vancouver.
    Butternut is an endangered species in Canada so there won't be fresh supply any time soon. It is also under various levels of protective measures around the US.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

PM or email me. I know a fellow that has some air dried butternut. He lives near me about ten minutes west of highway 6. Only problem is that it has to be found in a rather large pile of mixed woods that is stored in his driving shed. Can provide more details but not on forum.

I'm guessing that since the op was in 2009 he may have a solution by now..... ;-)
    Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'