FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: buying a lathe in canada

Default buying a lathe in canada

just moved to canada from scotland and before i came here i had to sell my tools and lathe etc. I was turning on an axminster lathe, floorstanding and doing mostly bowls etc up to about 12".
    Thing is, now i'm here i want to start turning again, i want a new lathe and have a budget of $500-$1000 but i am struggling to find a supplier of a lathe.
    i want a floor standing lathe, 3/4hp upwards and capable of outboard turning to do slightly bigger stuff from time to time. I like the jet lathes, almost identical to the axminster i had. I have looked at fox, grizzly, king jet etc etc and the stumbling block being that most companies advertising dont deliver to canada or if they do the shipping is ridiculous.. one company wanting $300.
    so my question is... where can i get such a lathe in Canada????

Default Re: buying a lathe in canada

Welcome to Canada and the forum!

KMS Tools have the Teknatool LL-1624/44 for $1000 but they have sales quite regularly (www.kmstools.com).

Busy Bee have the Delta 14" Lathe X5 Series for $1000 (www.busybee.ca) and the Lathe Wood 18"x47" VSP for $1200.

The Tool Store has the King 13" for $1050 (www.thetoolstore.ca)

Funny you asking this, as my mate got hooked working on my Vicmarc today and then we had to look up lathes for him so these were the ones we found for about a $1000.

The only company I have dealt with is KMS when I got the Vicmarc (fellow called Bob Gadd) who I highly recommend if you are on the wet coast.

Hope this helps, Trevor

Real Name
    Steve Morris

welcome to canda and the forum!!

tell us where you are by adding a location to your profile, its a vast country!!
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1915 or so crescent

I finally gave up on my first-choice lathe, the PM 3520, because it was going to nearly double the price to get it in my hands here in PEI. (two years ago) I found an Ontario company that would sell PM or Jet, but they wanted CD$3200 plus shipping for the PM when it was selling at Tool Nut for about US$2300-- and this at a time when the Canadian dollar was peaking at nearly par! I contemplated driving to the US and picking up a PM, but finally settled on a Craftex 18/47 from Busy Bee, at that time a brand new, untested model. I've been satisfied with its performance and have had really quick service from BB on parts and accessories (tools, chucks, spare belts, etc.) ordered online or by phone.
    If you live near the border and have (or can borrow) a pickup truck, it might be feasible to buy a lathe in the US and truck it back yourself. Otherwise, you are better off sticking with a more readily-available unit (Nova, General, Craftex, King....etc.). Or, haunt the used market hoping that a good and affordable lathe shows up there.
    Good luck,
    BOB

I guess Oneway is out of the question.

http://www.oneway.ca/

King and General are widely available.
    http://www.general.ca/index_en.html
    http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=170

Keep a watch on Kiji
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-lathe-Cla...earchFormZtrue

Without knowing where you are leads are kinda pointless.

Watch the classified ads and the Swap meet on this mag as well.
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Welcome to Canada. This is a big place so it would be a help to find out what part of the country are you living in? The west coast Grizzley is just a hop across the border. We have a distributor of onewway on the island here in BC and KMS have some good deals right now.

thanks for the help and warm wishes, i'm loving Canada so far.
    I'm staying not far from Saskatoon in Saskatchewan.

What brought you to Saskatchewan?

My fiance is from here, Canadian born and raised. One of us had to move for us to stay together as it was getting too costly with air fairs and visits etc. been here almost a month now

Quote Originally Posted by TARTANBEASTIE View Post
    I'm staying not far from Saskatoon in Saskatchewan.
    Welcome here! You're welcome to swing by my house if you're ever in town. I work from home and am always looking for an excuse for a coffee break.

You can laugh at my ancient Rockwell lathe. I just barely started learning to turn this past year then got sidetracked with other things, so I have very little experience.

In Saskatoon the main stationary power tool dealer is Great Western Saw, on 45th St. They deal with King for sure, and I think Delta and General as well as some other high-end European stuff. (They took over some of the brands when House of Tools went under.) There is also a new Busy Bee store here which I actually have not yet visited.

For hardwood the only real options are Windsor Plywood and Oakland Supply. Retail hardwood is pretty pricey though. Turning is easier, it should be easy to get birch, manitoba maple, elm, etc.

You should probably hook up with the Saskatchewan Woodworkers' Guild. There are a lot of turners there who can probably give better information than me. You're actually in luck, the next meeting is this Thursday night.

Real Name
    Randy

Also a new store in Saskatoon is Canadianwoodworker 4-805 Circle Drive , grand opening was Oct 2-4 might still get a deal. no affiliation just from a flyer I got
    "Control, control , you must learn control ". Yoda

I'm a very happy Beastie, thanks to all you guys for help and info. by the way this is a great site.. anyway i got in touch with great western saws in saskatoon and they are ordering a king Model: KWL-1443VS
    I got a super deal on it and they could not have been more helpful. hopefully in a week or two i'll be making the sawdust and shavings fly...

I'm a very happy Beastie, thanks to all you guys for help and info. by the way this is a great site.. anyway i got in touch with great western saws in saskatoon and they are ordering a king Model: KWL-1443VS
    I got a super deal on it and they could not have been more helpful. hopefully in a week or two i'll be making the sawdust and shavings fly...

Almost worth a trip to Saskatchewan to try it out...
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Good luck with your new machine when you get it. I'll be looking for some of your work posted soon............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mmmm can you tell the difference? Apart from colour that is
    I don't like the 600rpm low speed. You have to wonder where they get their wood turning advice from.
    Attached Images Attached Images