FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Becoming a high school wood shop teacher

Default Becoming a high school wood shop teacher

i was looking for any one that knows of what kind of education is needed to become a wood shop teacher i am already a journeyman carpenter i have had my red seal now for 5 yrs but have been in the field for now 10 yrs.
    Been looking on the internet but it keeps givin me info from the states.
    you can answer me here or message me at kreschuk@live.ca
    muck thanks

Default Re: Becoming a high school wood shop teacher

With your experience you will only have to complete your teaching certification. That is roughly 8 months of school and in class practicum (student teacher).

Not sure if you are in Ontario or elsewhere but here is the info for ontario.

http://www.oct.ca/faq/answers.aspx#become

There is a pdf on that link which describes the procedure. There is a section specifically for trades/technical teachers.

One of our other members just started teaching woodworking at a community college so have a look at this thread http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ad.php?t=29133 where Pat describes what is required there (N.B.) and what he will be doing.
    We've pretty much had to scrape him off the ceiling for a month or 2 after he got the job... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    With your experience you will only have to complete your teaching certification. That is roughly 8 months of school and in class practicum (student teacher).

Not sure if you are in Ontario or elsewhere but here is the info for ontario.

http://www.oct.ca/faq/answers.aspx#become

There is a pdf on that link which describes the procedure. There is a section specifically for trades/technical teachers.

Better put your location in your profile -- maybe you can be directed to a living breathing person who knows the ropes...

Assuming it is Ontario...

Looks like you need a B.Ed. and you get a certificate -- and for that you need a University Degree -- or do I misunderstand?

Lakehead offers mature student admission -- but I think you still need a a Bachelors plus the extra year for the B.Ed.

Anyone know the answers?

I definitely would not qualify for teaching math without upgrading my skills I guess.

Easiest way might be to call a nearby school. Not sure many teach shop any more though.
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Good luck finding high schools that still teach wood shop...
    Mike in Orangeville, ON
    http://ifonlyyouwood.blogspot.com/

SPCHT

Each province has its own rules about teaching in their province. In Ontario if you are certified in the trades, (woodworking, mechanics, machinest, electrical etc), you only need to go to the Teacher College.

Each school board will also have their own requirements. The best place to start is go into the local high school and speak to the principal.

Jamie

In ontario, the only requirement to teach is a teaching certificate.

To qualify to get that certificate you have to do an 8 month Bachelors of Education.
    To gain admission to that program you have to have either a 3 year bachelor's degree, or have 5 years experience in a trade. The link that I submitted above shows that. This will mean that you are then qualified to teach based on your teachables (wood, drafting, electrical, etc). To teach other things once a teacher you can take AQ (additional qualification) courses.

The rules are set province wide, the only difference board to board is pay levels, and what subjects they are currently looking for. This is all for the higher grades. For primary/junior (K-6) it is different, but I am guessing that he isn't interested in trying to teach woodworking to 5 year olds.

Wife is a teacher and neighbour is working towards being a physics teacher hence my knowledge on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Graham View Post
    Jim, that would be my concern too. They are the proverbial needles in a hay stack and likely to become fewer yet.

Ain't that the truth.... Sadly
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

As a teacher friend of mine said " I know lots of teachers looking for work right now" After you go through all that you are still delaing with the Unions and seniority and like what is happening in our school district. Once one person gets laid off the bumping starts. Here it is the same you need a teaching degree ( couple of yrs I think) then it is finding a school to hire you. Trades are not a high priority as they once were. Private school are under different rules as are college's. There was a huge rush on getting kids into the trades but with the economy in the bust area it is not being pushed as much.

Not sure if it still exists, but there was a program at U of T that certified trades could get there teachers certificate over two summers. To qualify, you had to have a job first. As of three years ago, you didn't have to be certified to be a shop teacher if you were planning to persue your certificate. A good way to get an in with a school board is to get on the supply list. Uncertified trades can sub ten times a year. Add that and volunteering, and you have the contacts you need. Good luck!

Here's a link to school job openings pretty much across the country http://www.educationcanada.com/. It's interesting to see the subject areas and locations with openings waiting to be filled. Seems training for practical technical skills like shops aren't high on the priority list for these employers.

You'll need to get a B.Ed - a one-year program in Ontario, including teacher-training practicum...

Went to the union website, and found this:

-----------------

Teachers of Technological Studies do not require a postsecondary degree for certification. They must, however, provide the following in addition to the rest of the items listed above:

• a secondary school diploma
    • evidence of five years of wage-earning experience
    • proof of competence in their field of specialization (for example, a trade certificate).

-----------------

I'm a teacher in Ontario, but not a tech teacher - I can ask one of the shop teachers, if you have any questions you'd like me to pass along..

I am a shop teacher and certified carpenter who recently was asked by a friend how he could become a shop teacher. This was my reply:

Unfortunately I would be a lot more help if Mike was certified as that is the way I approached becoming a teacher. If certified, you only need to do 12 weeks of school over 2 summers at OISE or one 8 month program. With his experience he could likely write and pass the test to become certified by studding up for a week or two. He has enough hours in the trade so he wouldn't have to do any apprenticeship. Unfortunately he would also need 5 years experience after being certified to go the route I did. If he wants to stay working, that is an option but it will take time. The other way to go is by taking a 2 year vocational teaching program. This way will get you there a bit quicker but will cost you 2 years of school and only able to work part-time at best.

I would encourage him to call me at home xxx-xxx-xxxxx (any time is fine) to talk to me about either process. It is a huge career change and many excellent carpenters would become rapidly unglued as teachers. If he thinks he would enjoy little b_stards being blatantly disrespectful just to see where you draw the line, then he will love teaching - lol. Seriously - your mama never warned you about this environment. But who knows, he might be a great shop teacher (like me - lol).

On the plus side; Teaching allows you an opportunity to make a difference in young lives, especially some bright kids who do not excel in regular academic programs. It can be extremely rewarding to see these individuals find the success they deserve. (don't expect to feel that every day as you are usually underappreciated). Most teachers are in class only 4.5 hours per day and in school from around 8:30 to 3:30 with an hour for lunch = 6 hours work/day. 12 weeks paid vacation, including 2 months of the summer. Full benefits and pension. Yes there are perks for those who take the abuse. the big question is whether he can resist imbedding his hammer into some well deserving little f__kers head. It is frowned upon by the school boards.

If I have not already scared him off, give me a call to answer any other questions he may have. You may also want to check out this link. http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?t=29557 Other tradesmen thinking of becoming teachers have found useful information here.

Regards,

This thread is > 1 year old so i doubt Jim is still looking for his answers.

Still an entertaining read nonetheless.

My shop teacher (grade 11+12 1970+'71) got me through high school. He was a bit of a realist! some well timed pep talks really helped with how to handle the difficulties of high school.