FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Craftex

Default Craftex

Are Craftex tools from Busy Bee any good? I am looking at some of their brad nailers. I am an occasional hobbyist - I like to build things around the house like the odd computer desk, shelves, deck, fence etc.

Thanks
    RC

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Ummmm....Frank? :-)

Default Re: Craftex

The only Craftex nailer I have personally used was during a shootout of pin nailers for the other magazine a while back. It was actually my pick as "best value". It wasn't as loaded with features as my "top overall" pick ( a Grex), but considering it was like 1/20th the price, I didn't really expect it to be .
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Real Name
    Ryan

Rapidcut --

Ryan Sherville is being humble. google up his website and take a look at his gallery. While looking, remind yourself that his shop is full of craftex. That should be all the evidence you need to know that if you've got the skills, craftex certainly won't hold you back.

There is no way to generalize that one line is good or bad. Each line has its strengthes and weaknesses. In terms of nail guns, the number one wearable part is the firing pin. An inexpensive gun will be a low grade of steel. A quality gun will be european steel heat treated. This goes to the how long the tool will last. From their you look at ergonomics, machining, parts availability, etc....

Whatever your decision makes sure you lubricate the gun before and after you use it. This is especially important for tools that are used infrequently.

I like quality tools as I am of school buy once and be done with it. Many of the craftex tools do not suit this criteria. You best bet if you want bang for your buck speak to the local tool service company. the techs will tell you what works and what does not. Many of the companies have gone to plastic parts which really effect the durability of the tools.

Thanks guys. Checking out his website now.

RC

Ryans work is impeccable but he also is closely associated with Busy Bee. Certainly not questioning his honesty but in my world a person who receives financial gain from a company is really not in a position to give an unbiased opinion of that companies products. Reminds me of years ago when tobacco companies would pay Dr's who published reports that smoking was not harmful to your health.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
    Ryans work is impeccable but he also is closely associated with Busy Bee. Certainly not questioning his honesty but in my world a person who receives financial gain from a company is really not in a position to give an unbiased opinion of that companies products. Reminds me of years ago when tobacco companies would pay Dr's who published reports that smoking was not harmful to your health.

Brian

I see your point, but only on a theoretical level.

In the practical reality here though, I don't quite see it.

Ryan has acknowledged his connection with BB many times, so that's certainly not a secret.

In this thread, he simply mentioned a review he participated in. In that review, he actually concluded that another brand of gun was superior to the BB one. That doesn't look like bias to me.

It was me who made the more explicit tie in between Ryan's work and Craftex, and we can't really find bias there either: you agree that his work is impeccable, and it's a known fact that he does it mostly on craftex tools. Those are objective facts - it's a fact that he produced impeccable work on craftex tools. Facts like that aren't really subject to bias.

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Brian @ Muir View Post

Brian
    *sigh*

Brian, Actually, I am in a perfect position to deliver unbiased reviews...I probably own more Craftex tools than anybody, AND I use them full time, 60 hours a week in a pro shop, .....no two-hour product evaluations here

I write the flyer articles for BB, and I choose to use their machines (and occasionally work on development/improvements to said machines)......that's it. There is no "financial gain". I don't draw a paycheque, I'm not on salary, they don't send me a cheque if I say something nice (Although I wish they would!). In short: I don't work for Busy Bee any more than I do for Lee Valley, Bosch, or Milwaukee (I use their stuff too).

I have stated it publicly before, to my readers, the people here, AND the management at Busy Bee, but I'll say it again: I will not give anything but an honest review...good or bad....period. The tool test that I mentioned in this thread for example....I tested like 10 guns head to head, along with Steve Maxwell and Cathy Dalrymple. I didn't sing the praises of the Craftex either here OR in the article....I simply reported (in both places) that it worked well and it was surprisingly inexpensive...that's it....and guess what? It DID work well and it WAS surprisingly inexpensive (like 20-30 bucks at the time?)

If that's "biased" somehow, I don't see it.

B
    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 10-31-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Ryan , that test you did with the nail guns did you happen to test Porter Cable guns and if so how did they compare to other guns ? Just curious .
    I am also curious to know what a PRO shop looks like . I only have a horse barn for a shop

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
    *sigh*

Brian, Actually, I am in a perfect position to deliver unbiased reviews...I probably own more Craftex tools than anybody, AND I use them full time, 60 hours a week in a pro shop, .....no two-hour product evaluations here

I write the flyer articles for BB, and I choose to use their machines (and occasionally work on development/improvements to said machines)......that's it. There is no "financial gain". I don't draw a paycheque, I'm not on salary, yhey don't send me a cheque if I say something nice (Although I wish they would!). In short: I don't work for Busy Bee any more than I do for Lee Valley, Bosch, or Milwaukee (I use their stuff too).

I have stated it publicly before, to my readers, the people here, AND the management at Busy Bee, but I'll say it again: I will not give anything but an honest review...good or bad....period. The tool test that I mentioned in this thread for example....I tested like 10 guns head to head, along with Steve Maxwell and Cathy Dalrymple. I didn't sing the praises of the Craftex either here OR in the article....I simply reported (in both places) that it worked well and it was surprisingly inexpensive...that's it....and guess what? It DID work well and it WAS surprisingly inexpensive (like 20-30 bucks at the time?)

If that's "biased" somehow, I don't see it.

B
    Not picking on you Ryan, but do you pay full retail like Joe Public for your Craftex tools? Just looking for full disclosure that is all.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by cranbrook2 View Post
    Ryan , that test you did with the nail guns did you happen to test Porter Cable guns and if so how did they compare to other guns ? Just curious .
    I am also curious to know what a PRO shop looks like . I only have a horse barn for a shop
    LOL....pro as in "production".....it's dirty and cluttered just like everyone elses (at least I *hope* everybody elses is as dirty and cluttered as mine......) I believe we did test the PC gun and it did fairly well. Let me get on to my "work" PC and find my test notes and I'll let you know exactly what I thought
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Not picking on you Ryan, but do you pay full retail like Joe Public for your Craftex tools? Just looking for full disclosure that is all.

Thanks
    Depends....For some stuff, yes (although I prefer to buy on sale ;) ), where some are demo's and cheaper, and sometimes I'm sure I get a deal....but I don't work for them for free, so I don't expect them to either. Although, if I do some work for them such as the articles or product stuff, then that tends to go to new tools More directly, if you are asking me if BB gives me free tools? Nope. Although I likely wouldn't object to it if they wanted to...*hint* ;)
    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 10-31-2009 at 07:29 AM.
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

Thanks
    I'm not picking on you Yeti, but I feel a need to say something, and this looks like a good spot.

How much fuller discloser can there be? I'm sorry, but this continual bashing of anyone who is in any way shape or form "associated" with a manufacturer or vendor is really getting stupid. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that so many of them continue to post helpful advice and opinions when they get dumped on as often as they do. A forum is, by definition, a place for folks to share views and opinions but the petty nastiness that is directed towards many of the manufacturers/vendors is not usually warranted. If the vendors/manufacturers didn't post here, then folks would question why they won't defend their products etc, etc. But if they do post, then they get criticized if their answers don't agree with someone else's preconceived opinion.

I fail to see how the price that Ryan, or anyone else, pays for his tools has any bearing on the opinions he expresses on the forum. In years past, when I had particularly good relations with tool vendors, I often got fairly substantial discounts. If I liked the tools, I said so, and likewise if I didn't like them I expressed my thoughts on this forum and others. The price I paid was irrelevant.

So please, give some credit to the people who post their experiences and don't always be thinking they're trying to scam you or sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

Rant off for tonite....
    Last edited by Bill MacDonald; 10-30-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Real Name

It's OK bill....nothing that I don't get asked at least once a week by email anyway

People just can't seem to "get" why I'd use the Craftex tools if they aren't free......well here's an answer: Because they work well for me, and don't cost a billion dollars. Magazine stuff aside, I have to make a living building furnture, and while I'd love to drop 5K on a bandsaw, that comes right off of an already skinny bottom line. I know of at least 2 well known pros here that use some craftex machinery as well, some dating back to the 80's! We use what works while keeping the books in the black. Many years ago, I started out with a shop full of Mastercraft, craftsman, and King...I did OK with even that stuff. The Craftex tools just allowed me to go to bigger machines but still not go bankrupt buying them...and honestly? They've been good to me. I put a lot of miles on this stuff, and I haven't been disappointed....to the point where I have recommended it to close friends and family. Oh yeah, I also recommend rigid hand tools to these people as well...and I have absolutely NO affiliation to Home Depot either...they are just decent tools at good prices with a fantastic warranty.
    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 10-31-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
    It's OK bill....nothing that I don't get asked at least once a week by email anyway

People just can't seem to "get" why I'd use the Craftex tools if they arent free......well here's an answer: Because they work well for me, and don't cost a billion dollars.
    I use Craftex tools too..and none of mine were free! I do the true capitalist thing which is to make value decisions; vote with my money if you will. Why Craftex?; because they work well for me as a hobbyist and don't cost a fortune. (It hasn't hurt that the Ottawa BusyBee store is run by a really nice guy either.)

I currently have a Craftex: metal lathe, jointer, bandsaw, dust collector, air filter, shaper, spindle sander and disc sander. The only tool that required much effort to make it work the way I wanted was the bandsaw which required a few tweaks.

In the interest of full disclosure; I buy my tools at sale prices just like eveyone else and do not work for, at, near, or in collusion with Busy Bee and recieve only friendly service from them in exchange for my custom.

Ken

I own a few Craftex tools, including the CT113 2-in-1 18 gauge 2" nailer stapler. I bought it this summer and have fired a couple thousand brads. Has worked great and cost around $30.

C
    Clint in London

Is there any recommendation between getting the CT111 and CT113. They are both the same other than the 113 is both a nailer and stapler? Any down side to a 2in1?

RC

Real Name
    Ryan

my experience is limited.

I got a cheap C&H 2-in-1 with a cheap compressor I had for a while, and I found that while it was fine for staples, for brads it seemed to leave a real bad gouge in the surface of the wood. My theory was that a 2-in-1 would necessarily have to have a wider firing pin to drive the staples, and when driving the smaller headed brads, the excess pin simply mars the wood. Since upgrading to a dedicated nailer, I've not had that problem.
    Don't know if this would be a problem with all 2-in-1s, or just the cheap C&H one I had, but that's my experience, fwiw.

Thanks Callee

RC

Real Name
    Steve Morris

i wouldnt use a "2 in 1" nailer stapler either, i used a couple of different ones, PA, CT and the craftex

they seem to drive staples ok but not great and brads generally poorly, the depth setting is very erratic on all of them

as mentioned before by callee, the firing pin or hammerblade is wide enough for a staple so they leave a huge mark in the wood when nailing

i use air nailers and staplers everyday, and have always had good performance from portercable nailers from 15ga to 23 ga and a couple of different staplers too, narrow and wide crown
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont