FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: RIDGID Table Saw

Real Name
    Adam

Default RIDGID Table Saw

Folks,

I've been seriously considering picking up the new RIDGID Granite top table saw, and signing up for a self defense class so I'll survive the significant other attack (... kidding... my wife is very supportive). Here's a question for the folks that have had some experience with this tool...

I know this design uses a 't-track' style miter slot, so if I were to upgrade my miter gugage to something like the lee valley Incra miter guage (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...080,51225&ap=1 would it work with this table?

Also, I think at the price point this saw sits it's probably a pretty solid buy. What real negatives are there about this TS taking into account the sub $1000 that it costs. How realistic is the granite chipping and does this really impact the usability of the saw?

I currently have a mastercraft 'maximum' that I can almost cut a straight line with (partially due to the operator), so It'd be step up for sure. I have no problem buying screwdrivers or wrenches at CT but I don't see myself picking up power-tools there anymore...

On a side note... are there any KW woodworkers out there that would be willing to help a newbie out when he gets stuck?

Default Re: RIDGID Table Saw

ACR - I just bought the saw a few weeks ago, so I can address some of your questions.

Yes, you can use a standard mitre guage in the table - it's a upside-down t-track, so the standard 3/4 mitre bar fits perfectly.

In fact, and this brings me to your next point, I've found that if you remove the t-portion from the mitre gauge provided, you're much less likely to chip the granite (it seems to only happen when you have the t-mitre gauge tip in the track (because of a wide piece to mitre) and then downward pressure gets put on the mitre gauge, popping the granite tips off). I just took the t-portion off completely, and am fully satisfied thus far that no chipping will occur.

There are only two real negatives with this saw that I can see (and it's really not all that bad...which shows how good the saw really is, IMO):
    - It's only 1-1/2 hp motor (plenty strong, but won't run 9 hours straight like in a cabinet shop, from what I've heard).

- The other is the 2-piece fence track, which just takes a long straight edge when bolting it to the saw to make sure that it doesn't throw off the fence (really not a problem if you know the potential issue is there during installation).

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Lisa

I got one of these saws on Tuesday. I am still getting it out of the box!...Mark do you have any heads up for the assembly process that you have not already mentioned?

They have some helpful hints on the Ridgid forum:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25089

I don't have any experience with this saw so I can't add anything there.

I walked by the display model they had set up in Home Depot. The granite top had a big crack in it, from the throat insert to the back of the table.

Two things ran through my head when I saw this:

1. I'll never buy a granite tabled tool.

2. How stupid are they to put a broken tool on display, especially new "technology". It would be kind of hard to explain the benefits of granite with a big old crack in the table!
    "Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once."

Well, the table top, like everything else with the saw has a lifetime warranty, so if it cracks, it's getting replaced.

The only setup tips I have really is to make sure the front tube for the fence is straight (2-piece tube thing I mentioned earlier).

The other thing to note is that when putting together the Hercu-lift system, the bolts that attach to the saw have to be much looser than you would expect...like floppy loose.

Hope that helps.

Mark

P.s. the granite top will be fine if it is not abused by 2000 people a day taking a look at the "new" technology...just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    P.s. the granite top will be fine if it is not abused by 2000 people a day taking a look at the "new" technology...just my $0.02.
    Agreed.

I don't think you'd ever crack it during use. For myself I wouldn't buy one because I can be a clutz at times and would probably break during transport, or drop a sledge hammer on it, or stand on it to reach a high shelf, or .... lol!

I failed to mention another time I was in HD, a guy was looking at it and his wife was with him and she was saying how nice the top was. I don't think that would happen with cast iron! Easier sell when SHE likes it too!
    "Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once."

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Lisa

LOL @ Charles

My Kitchen doesn't have granite countertops....but my saw does!...if nothing else it sure makes my friends laugh....

The prior model of this saw with the cast top was excellent for the money. I would bet the granite model will be excellent too and a lot better in humid/wet climates.

Real Name
    Adam

So, does this saw come with a riving knife? I've seen sites/info that say it does but also one that say it doesn't? Who says you can't believe everything you read online?

Yes, it does have a riving knife, with serrated paws.

Mark

Real Name
    Adam

Sounds like it's time to start saving my pennies... I see a new TS in my future...

Real Name
    Steve Morris

ive had a 3650 for several years, mine has the one piece fence rails, and a 1 1/2 hp motor.

the saw has plenty of power, i resaw maple and oak regularly at full blade height with no problems with a thin kerf rip blade

i just took the screw/guide off the miter guage the first day, but now i never use the miter guage anyway, a sliding cross cut table is far more accurate and convenient than any miter guage
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont