FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Vinyl Decking

Default Vinyl Decking

Kind of late in the season to be thinking of decks but have to provide a quote for a deck and they are looking for a vinyl surface. Has anyone had any experience with products of the following link or anything similiar. Not really interested in Trex.
    http://www.almarvinyl.ca/

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Vinyl Decking

The vinyl product is inherently thinner and lighter than engineered plastic which is typically solid wood grained (see Weatherbest as an example) not to be compared to Trex. Also, the reverse side is usually a straight grain. The thiner wall of vinyl will tend to eventually rip sometimes as obliquely referred to in the manuf. literature you linked. The fittings for rails and posts etc. tend to be lighter duty and will wobble more than eng prodct. Go together easily maybe, but that's what you get.

Highly unappealing iMHO, esthetically. Also, like other classes of material, not all vinyl is born equal, there are differing qualities from different companies.

I suggest you make sure client signs off on sample of actual material of choice and has seen a sizable installation to be sure - not just a 2' sample piece.

WW
    Last edited by Woodwreck; 11-24-2009 at 04:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Brian, I've done 2 decks with composite material, and I've been very happy with both. The deck at my house was done with TimberTech. Its a tongue and groove material, easy to apply and stands up well to all kinds of weather. It used to be available at Rona, but not sure if they still carry it. Because it is tongue and groove, removing a section to whatever reason means starting at one end and removing all the boards along the way. I've only had to to that once to repair some raccoon damage. As there are no gaps, leaves and other junk don't collect there.

The second deck was at my neighbours' cottage. We used the composite material from Rona (Timbermart) but I can't recall the precise name at the moment. This is the more conventional "board" material that is installed using clips from the top side. Easy to put down, and relatively maintenance free. Downside is the clips show and the gaps in the boards allow leaves and junk to collect.

I don't think I'd ever build another deck without seriously considering any of the excellent composite products on the market these days.

I've installed many composite material and vinyl decks (but have never worked with that particular brand).

If it helps at all I would recommend Azek/Procell over typical vinyl. Less slippery, accepts screws beautifully, cuts well and is strong and flexible.

I believes prices are comparable.

Thanks for your replies. Everyone sells the composite decking but most know very little about it. One that I did find was millenium decking and it is manufactured in Alberta. Contacted their head office and the eastern sales rep called me about 15 minutes later and two days later They delivered a free sales kit with all the samples. Theirs is a type of tongue and grove with no screws visible. There is also no gap between the boards. After seeing the price and concerns expressed by the condo corp on the color It is going to be built with PT. Thanks again

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

I checked the web site and this looks really neat. I am going to put in a deck next year and will consider composite of some type. I really like the idea of no gaps and maintenance free.

Do they have dealers in the East (or are you going to be one)?

Do have any idea on the cost compared to the other composites and/or PT?

Do you know the length of the boards as it will probably effect the design?

Thanks

Don

I have used Azek on my decks. Very good product which I installed with Hidden fasteners. Leaves an 1/8" gap which looks nice. Fasteners are very expensive. Easy to clean and does not stain. Accepts screws with no mushroom effect. My mom used Millenium on her house. Nice tight finish, but it does stain easily. Barbque sauce, dirt etc stain it very easily, and can't get the stains out either.

I'm new to the product. I sold some trex railings this fall and that was my first experience with it. Moffatt and Powell has a large selection of different manufacturers products at different price points and really seem to know the products. I deal with the Hyde park store. It sounds like you are closer to Tillsonburg so the level of service may vary but I would talk to them and see what they have to offer / say.