FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there wood filler for cast iron? (oops)

Default Is there wood filler for cast iron? (oops)

Wanna hear a grown man squeal like a girl? That was me 10 minutes ago.

Last night I was practicing with my new router circle cutting jig for cutting an arc in 3/4 inch plywood by doing a very shallow cut I'd say 1/4 inch deep only I thought it would be safe to do it on my table saw top.

All went well until I noticed just now that I carved an arc with the 1/4" straight flute bit. It's probably a 1/8" deep, 2 inch scar. It's just on the edge to the left of my blade so it's not too destructive but it looks horrible !

Oh my God what do I do what do I do?!?

* edit, here is a picture *
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob R., Ottawa; 12-01-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    Why do people keep calling me Rob?

Default Re: Is there wood filler for cast iron? (oops)

Your best bet is an epoxy formulated for metal - J.B. Weld comes to mind. Fill the gash with epoxy, let cure and then sand smooth. Done !

Hi Bob, sorry to hear about that, i cringed just reading it. I'm not a metalworker but i do know that trying to weld cast iron can be troublesome and may warp you tabletop. I know that "spot putty or bondo" used in the auto industry may work to fill the void left by the router but i don't think it will do much for the look if that is what you are looking for. The bondo will fill the void so that wood getting pushed through the saw won't get hung up on it. Might want to consider filing the sharp edge facing the front of the saw as well to prevent hangups.
    Just my opinion. I'm sure a metalworker like Mike Graham can give you some good advice. Best of luck.
    bill.

Back in school working in a foundry shop, we used to fill air bubbles and smooth out rough castings with car "Bondo" material. Now they have a new product called "All Metal" that is a better suited product, located at your friendly Auto supply stores.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

J B weld or you could try melting some lead to fill the hole then sand it smooth. Plumbing supply stores may carry it. It has a relatively low melting point. Can remember we collected lead from bullets to melt down in my younger days.Sorry for your misfortune but it happens to us all.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Had to say this: lead is *very* posionous (cancer causing substance), especially the vapor from melting it. Use the other methods suggested instead.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0

Quote Originally Posted by mreza View Post
    Had to say this: lead is *very* posionous (cancer causing substance), especially the vapor from melting it. Use the other methods suggested instead.
    Hmmm .... are you sure you're not thinking of fumes from Mercury? Lead melts quite easily at fairly low temperatures and gives off very little in the way of fumes. With any ventilation at all it would be safe. I melt lead for casting muzzle loader balls and have been doing this for years as do most other black powder shooters. I use lead from old car batteries. Lead is also still present in a major way in solder (lead and tin) and is used in electrical/electronic work for making wiring connections. Lead/Tin solder is sold in most hardware stores.

cheers

John

Another vote for JB Weld. If there is a filler for metal thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Hmmm .... are you sure you're not thinking of fumes from Mercury? Lead melts quite easily at fairly low temperatures and gives off very little in the way of fumes. With any ventilation at all it would be safe. I melt lead for casting muzzle loader balls and have been doing this for years as do most other black powder shooters. I use lead from old car batteries. Lead is also still present in a major way in solder (lead and tin) and is used in electrical/electronic work for making wiring connections. Lead/Tin solder is sold in most hardware stores.

cheers

John
    Yes, I'm talking about lead. It's a posionous heavy metal. There are tons of info about its health hazards, just to name a few look here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead
    or
    http://www.epa.gov/ttnatw01/hlthef/lead.html

One of many ways of exposure is inhaling it. It's a neurotoxin and can damage other organs. Regarding causing cancer, some research suggest it causes (kidney/lung cancer) and some others don't show it.

True, it is still used in soldering but not all of them (many are lead-free) mainly because of the danger it causes when it goes to our body.
    When I was a kid I used to go to auto-repair shops and get the left-over lead used in balancing wheels, melt and cast them into shapes. What a dangerous hobby!

cheers!

You might want to look at this product from Loctite Fixmaster Steel Putty is a non-slumping, two-part, steel-filled putty. Ideally suited for rebuilding steel surfaces. Can be machined when cured. I have seen it used in rebuilds on metal surfaces. Worked great. I would talk to a machine shop see what they suggest.

I'm all for the cream that bonds into something hard approach. I'm not so keen on the melting or welding metal options because I don't have the experience or equipment other than a blow torch. Something hard to fill in the hole is good for me as long as the material doesn't get carried away when I put a cast iron cleaning solution or rust cleaner on it. I'd hate for the putty spot to get wet and wipe out.

I think my router depth stop either got knocked back out of lock or I just didn't set it as firmly as I should have. Horrible.

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

I wouldn't try to fill the gash with metal (any kind) as the top would have to be heated to have the metal flow and hold onto it.
    Just dripping tin brass etc onto the top would give you a loose filling, it wont hold onto it, and heating the cast top will make it warp guaranteed.
    JB weld would be my suggestion, next to a good excuse to GET A NEW SAW

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Smooth the edges, polish it and paint the scratch Black so it stands out. Make it look like a design feature for a jig!

Oh man, I need to see pictures... Many years ago, I did almost the same thing, but mine was resting on my garage floor. I cut a nice circle in the concrete floor that I walked over for 2 years before we sold the place. What an epic brain fart, but a great reminder to check the depth stop
    Isn't is amazing what those routers will cut through! I don't even remember my bit being damaged...
    Cheers,
    SPCHT

Picture added in the first posting.

Blog Entries

I know you're probably still kicking yourself quite furiously over all this, but I will remind you that all gouges, blemishes and marks are not accidents, but "character" to a piece, and that goes for tools as well.
    Kevin

One more vote for JB Weld I've used it many times with great results I used it once to repair a block surface on an engine that had a gouge cut between the cylinders from a blown head gaskit the head was pooched was able to salvage the block by applying JB Weld then draw filling it flat the next day it seemed to me that the filler was harder than the cast the engine ran for years afterwards and the owner of the shop that I was working in said he tore the engine down again and all was well with the repair. For what it's worth thats my $0.02 worth Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post

cheers

John
    Pb is most definitely a poison. We have a high exposure risk where I work and we all are required to be tested at least every 6 months to monitor our blood Pb levels.

The heck with the table saw how is the poor router bit doing? Wish that I had something to add that has not been said already. I would just chalk it up to experience and a reminder to watch what your doing. It is a small spot and sort of out of the way for creating problems running sheet goods through the saw. Why bother trying to fix it? It just looks ugly and I am sure hurts the pride for it happening in the first place. Gee none of us have done anything like that before. . I know that I have a antique framing square with a nice saw cut throught it. I learned to put tools away properly after using them on that one. It is displayed on the wall in clear view just to remind me of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob R., Ottawa View Post
    Wanna hear a grown man squeal like a girl? That was me 10 minutes ago.

Last night I was practicing with my new router circle cutting jig for cutting an arc in 3/4 inch plywood by doing a very shallow cut I'd say 1/4 inch deep only I thought it would be safe to do it on my table saw top.

All went well until I noticed just now that I carved an arc with the 1/4" straight flute bit. It's probably a 1/8" deep, 2 inch scar. It's just on the edge to the left of my blade so it's not too destructive but it looks horrible !

Oh my God what do I do what do I do?!?

* edit, here is a picture *
    Hi Bob sorry about ur mishap,have you heard of Tech steel it is steel reinforced epoxy putty. web site:WWW.nlsproducts.ca or NLS products box 790 Bobcaygeon Ont K0M1A0 I haven't used it yet but my brother gave me some awhile back. you could check it out.
    Last edited by Len Lucas; 12-02-2009 at 05:23 AM.