FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: kitchen design problem

Default kitchen design problem

I am helping redo a tiny kitchen and have come up with a design question. The old counters were very narrow, about 17" deep. New counters are about 25" deep. If we maintain that depth the corner of the counter will stick out into a doorway about 4". Coincidently the neighbors who have an identical house elected to do this and it doesn't look too bad. However their door swings away from the counter and in this house the door swings into the counter. We could rehang the door to swing away as well but I am wondering if I am missing an easier solution. In the posted picture the old counter profile is obvious, then there is about a 4" casing and then the edge of the door. I guess we could make an angled cabinet at the end of the run and then cut the counter at an angle. I will also include a pic of the neighbors solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    He who laughs last..............probably didn't get it

Default Re: kitchen design problem

Will the new kitchen have a similar layout; with the stove within 3ft of the door?
    If so, I would suggest making that section of lower cabinets shallower all the way over to the stove, so that the countertop doesn't conflict with a deeper section. Kitchen design styles these days are usually leaning towards tiled backsplashes and therefore a postformed backsplash isn't needed and you won't have issues with varied countertop depths either.

If the stove won't be located there, I would jog the cabinets and countertop, with a profiled wood nosing throughout to deal with the transition.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_clements View Post
    Will the new kitchen have a similar layout; with the stove within 3ft of the door?
    If so, I would suggest making that section of lower cabinets shallower all the way over to the stove, so that the countertop doesn't conflict with a deeper section. Kitchen design styles these days are usually leaning towards tiled backsplashes and therefore a postformed backsplash isn't needed and you won't have issues with varied countertop depths either.

If the stove won't be located there, I would jog the cabinets and countertop, with a profiled wood nosing throughout to deal with the transition.

I would usually move the door in these circumstances -- can't see if that is practical though. I hate it -- but that's what I do...

Maybe you should get Kitchen Draw -- mock up the Kitchen and have a look at all the solutions you can conceive of.

http://www.kitchendraw.com/
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

I agree with Will. I was going to ask the same thing about the door. Can you move it? If you can't, can you remove it (make it a open doorway that is as wide as possible to allow for your increased counter depth.

Door can't move. Its the entrance to the basement landing and we are talking major structural change here. I"m considering something like this beside the stove.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the microwave staying there, just as in the old situation?

if so, what about a floor-to-ceiling pantry there, with a shelf in the middle for the microwave, which is shallower.
    If the microwave is staying there, the counter top doesn't matter anyway, as you're completely filling it.

In addition, the pantry gives you deeper shelves up top, which hopefully makes up for the shallower shelves below the microwave.
    Last edited by ArtMulder; 12-03-2009 at 12:33 PM.
    It's not about you.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtMulder View Post
    Is the microwave staying there, just as in the old situation?

if so, what about a floor-to-ceiling pantry there, with a shelf in the middle for the microwave, which is shallower.
    If the microwave is staying there, the counter top doesn't matter anyway, as you're completely filling it.

In addition, the pantry gives you deeper shelves up top, which hopefully makes up for the shallower shelves below the microwave.

FYI, the two photos are from two different locations, however similar layouts. note the door hinging as reference.

A pantry is a great idea, and eliminates any countertop issues too.

I like the pantry idea, we are making the cabinets on the fly, so maybe we can rejig the blueprint, if I can find that Tim Horton's napkin

Real Name
    Steve Morris

a shallow pantry would be my solution too, other wise its a really awkward looking piece of countertop with an ugly square cap on the edge

you could also rip a regular piece of PF countertop down and reassemble the back splash onto it, providing a front profile and splash to match the rest of the c'top. i have done this a few times, usually to make a vanity top from a piece of kitchen top. screws and silicone will hold the BS to the top of the narrower top
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont