FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: How to glue felt?

Default How to glue felt?

Hey guys,

I want to apply felt to the inside of a box. What do you suggest I use for adhesive and suggested method of application. This is not something I've done before. I was thinking slightly thinned yellow glue or wb contact cement.

Thanks.

Default Re: How to glue felt?

I've used spray adhesive like this:

3M super 77

Cheers,
    Keith.

You're not the first to ask this question. My favourite answer is probably to use self-adhesive felt, but an EVEN spray of an aerosol adhesive is probably your next best bet to avoid hard spots and gappy/saggy application.
    Mike in Orangeville, ON
    http://ifonlyyouwood.blogspot.com/

SPCHT

I use Elmer's spray adhesive to glue down the cloth in my boxes. You need to very carefully cut the cloth or felt to finished size, lightly spray the back, fold the cloth unglued sides together and carefully align one corner to the inside of your box, unfold and press in place. I like to go over it with a small piece of hardwood to press it in and get any bubbles out.

Blaine
    "Congratulations. You've just figured out the most complicated way to hold a board 30 inches off the floor."
    Tage Frid

I've used both the self-adhesive felt from LV and regular felt with a spray adhesive. Both can be a challenge to install. I prefer the self-adhesive stuff since you can expose a tiny bit of sticky felt, place it, and then slowly uncover the rest of the felt in stages to get it placed correctly. If you use the spray adhesive, it's really easy to get yourself stuck in your work.

...Wayne

Blog Entries

I had a felt inquiry a while back. I've added both of them now to a tag entitled "Felt" here:

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/tags.php?tag=felt

You may find some useful info looking in that older thread I started also.

Good luck, and share your results when you're done please Patrice.
    Kevin

best results will come from buying adhesive backed Felt available from Arts and Crafts Stores (around here it is Michaels and Hobby Lobby) these are great about a buck a sheet and (9 X 11) and so easy and convenoent, I keep a supply on hand incase I get the urge to line something.

If still heart set on the hard way, I suggest the spray adhesive method discribed by others. I havbe done that method before and quite successful, Dry cut all the pieces to fit before you start, then work from the bottom up.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

With the felt (either adhesive-backed or not), suggest you practice a bit before tackling the main attraction if it's a small, fiddley area you are doing.
    One alternative I tried is 'flocking'. It looked like it would be simple and easily done but gave me POOR results. This is shredded cloth that you blow onto a surface that has pre-applied adhesive. Inconsistent colour and thickness. Some may like it, but I'm not one of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

After an experiment or two I settled with a very thin layer of yellow glue. The few minutes available before the glue set enabled me to line up the felt and tuck in the corners. A bit fiddley but seems to work ok. Care with the amount of glue - too much and it bleeds through the felt.

Another option I read about and tried once is to cut a piece of stiff cardboard to fit in the bottom of the box - trimmed so that there is a bit of a gap all the way around - and then wrap that cardboard in felt, or satin or whatever. Then it can either just be pressed into the bottom or glued there. The nice part of this method is that if you screw it up, you can redo it without making a mess of the box.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Thom View Post
    With the felt (either adhesive-backed or not), suggest you practice a bit before tackling the main attraction if it's a small, fiddley area you are doing.
    One alternative I tried is 'flocking'. It looked like it would be simple and easily done but gave me POOR results. This is shredded cloth that you blow onto a surface that has pre-applied adhesive. Inconsistent colour and thickness. Some may like it, but I'm not one of them.
    Strange, but that's the exact kit I used, and the results were stunning - in fact I got the kit because I was a total klutz with the adhesive backed felt. I think the key is to make the surface completely non porous, in my case I used a couple of coats of poly, and the results were fabulous.

I've just started to use the flocking recently as well. The craft store felt always just looked cheap to me. (I've used it with the 3M spray adhesive too). I've gotten great results so far with flock, and it's pretty hard to screw up. Takes you boxes to the next level IMO.

Ryan

Real Name
    Andre

A thin layer of standard white glue applied to the wood surface using a simple 3/4 inch brush worked fine for me,gives you enough time to spread felt evenly accross the surface.Too much glue will telegraph through felt though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan in Edmonton View Post
    I've just started to use the flocking recently as well. The craft store felt always just looked cheap to me. (I've used it with the 3M spray adhesive too). I've gotten great results so far with flock, and it's pretty hard to screw up. Takes you boxes to the next level IMO.

Ryan
    I've always liked the LV flocking. A little dusty but I've always liked the results.

Ryan - is there any difference in appearance between flocking applied using the thick coloured 'glue' (paint?) that LV sells versus the spray adhesive?

Kerry

Kerry, so far I've only used the "paint on" thick adhesive that comes with the flocking kit, for flock.
    What I meant was that I'veused the pray on adhesive for regular craft store felt, and wasn't overly impressed with the results, especially compared to the great results you get so easily with flocking.

I use a cardboard box lined with a garbage bag to spray my flocked items in. Any of the fibres that stay loose are then easily recovered by just dumping them out of the garbage bag.

Ryan

I want to do the same thing. I plan to use transfer tape. The kind with the brown paper backing you peel away from the tacky glue. By selectivly placing my transfer tape in various locations on the project I think I can take my time putting the felt down an smoothig it as I go along. I have used transfer tape for many things over the years and I love working with it. I think spray adhesives and adhesive backed felt give less control during application of the felt.